Question for school yard hunters

But you've forgotten one important detail : You're in Connecticut. So you can throw a rock in any direction, and hit an LC. :sissyfight: And ... sure , even in modern school yards.

Tom, don’t you know, us east of the Mississippi guys, our kids still use large cents for lunch money!!

For those that haven’t seen my other related post, I did go this weekend. I found a silver earring and a junk ring. I only did a small section because it was too hot. I’ll definitely be going back. Thank you all for your advice.

Attachments

• DF0583A9-1109-44C9-BAD5-513165E977CE.jpg
    DF0583A9-1109-44C9-BAD5-513165E977CE.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 9002032A-6DA0-4884-9B08-331026AEE275.jpg
    9002032A-6DA0-4884-9B08-331026AEE275.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 279
All from elementary schools. Now a lot may have to do with demographics, in we have 2 packing houses, but elementary schools ROCK the jewelry. I've found over 80 rings just from one schools. These are all from the dirt.

Attachments

• DSCF6287.jpg
    DSCF6287.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 232
All from elementary schools. Now a lot may have to do with demographics, in we have 2 packing houses, but elementary schools ROCK the jewelry. I've found over 80 rings just from one schools. These are all from the dirt.

That’s some mighty nice finds you got there

Large cents and other old coins are not necessarily from a "show and tell". Many schools were built over what was once farm land. Though the site may give the appearance of being new the dirt is "as old as the hills". This 1808 Large Cent was dug in a school yard in which the school was built in 1991 but years ago was a farm field.

Good points, Diggin'. But in this case, we know this land was always part forest/part prairie, sloping downhill. In the 60's it became a backwoods shooting range. People even pushed old cars down it to shoot at. I shot at 'em at 13 years old. It was closed off till 2008 when much sand was trucked in and built it up and the new school opened in 2009. We are pretty sure some kid dropped it. Wasn't deep at all. Similar thing happened at another school where I found a very shallow 1916 Barber, which was my first post here a few years ago.

My best finds have come from school play grounds!
3f6dacf712999315c7c0a0351f22dc66.jpg

0667ec5dc574ca9004dcec127f62ea0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my CT town, we are not allowed to hunt school properties but if you can, the land may have been a old homestead or farm land a hundred or two years ago.

In my CT town, we are not allowed to hunt school properties....

Charly: Curious how you came upon that . Is it in-a-rule somewhere, that says "No md'ing" ? Or are the school yards "buttoned up" (ie.: fenced) such that .... nothing and no one is ever there after school hours ?

I contacted the Town and was told only public parks and grass area that are not manicured. A lot of the fields are maintained for kids soccer. I contacted the town after I was asked to leave by a park supervisor.

My area is not far from the Sandy Hook school shootings back in 2012 so there is a stigma when anybody with strange things in their hands are near schools.

I contacted the Town and was told only public parks and grass area that are not manicured. A lot of the fields are maintained for kids soccer. I contacted the town after I was asked to leave by a park supervisor....

Ok. This is the classic. And you understandably surmise this by virtue of A) you got a scram, so you B) went higher up to "get it clarified", so C) You put the warning out to others that "such & such city's schools are off-limits to md'ing.

Right ? If so, I can totally understand the knee-jerk reaction and logical sequences that happen. However:

1) I do not construe an individual busy-bodies "scram" (even coming from a worker or teacher etc...) as constituting law or rule, that must now be clarified, or over-turned. I have had scores of such incidents that .... after giving a bit of lip service, turn out to be nothing but flukes. Eg.: someone having a bad hair day. Or the singular individual in an entire city of 100k, that "cares less" (that you can simply avoid in the future), etc...

2) But instead, the understandable knee jerk reaction to any such scram, is to go higher up (department heads, city-halls, etc...) "seeking clarifications" right ? What can be more simple than that. Right ? But, alas, you risk running into the "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon :no: Ie.: the "safe answer" to the "pressing question" by an desk-jocky pencil-pusher. Who ... perhaps ... never gave the matter a moment's thought. But now you are there asking "Can I?" sort of questions. And the easy image they have is "geeks with shovels".

I have no doubt, that if I asked hither and yonder in my city, that I too could find someone to say "no". And then dutifully put-the-word out that our city's parks or schools are "off-limits". Yet .... reality is ... As long as we're not a sore-thumb , no one cares or notices.

Not saying to "throw caution to the wind", but just saying that I don't construe a "scram" or even someone's whimsical city hall "no", to constitute law or rule. Unless it's somewhere in actual print "No md'ing allowed", then ... so be it.

I can do the parks just not the fields that are being used for sports. Even thou I was asked to leave when I was doing the sand at a fresh water beach.

The person that I contacted was the town alderman (aka the mayor). I waited over a year for the clarification. Like I said, we had 20 people killed at a school shooting and the kids were then moved from their town to attend school in my town so everyone is on "pins and needles" when someone is on school property. There was actual a state trooper parked nearly 24-7 at the school where the kids were moved too. The police wanted to prevent a copycat killing.

I can do the parks just not the fields that are being used for sports. Even thou I was asked to leave when I was doing the sand at a fresh water beach.

The person that I contacted was the town alderman (aka the mayor). I waited over a year for the clarification. Like I said, we had 20 people killed at a school shooting and the kids were then moved from their town to attend school in my town so everyone is on "pins and needles" when someone is on school property. There was actual a state trooper parked nearly 24-7 at the school where the kids were moved too. The police wanted to prevent a copycat killing.

People are always on school property when school is NOT in session. Most schools have a sign posted saying something to the effect "no one allowed on school property during school hours"

Charley.....
That would be true if you were on school grounds during school hours. After the Sandy Hook shooting, I was expecting that some schools might fence off the playgrounds and lock them up but it never happened. Detecting went on as usual.

.... I was expecting that some schools might fence off the playgrounds and lock them up ...

Heck, that happened in my area of CA in the 1980s and '90s. Because of things like : A) redneck aggie punk kids who used to go at night & spin donuts on the lawn with their 4WD's, B) perverts who hung around schools ? C) dingbats who might fall off the monkey-bars or swing set and sue the school.

Nothing at all to do with md'ing. And to this day, there's usually always still a propped open turn-style, with a faded obligatory sign next to it that says something like "visitors check in at office" (that no one reads or pays attention to). And there's still dog-walkers, persons who jog the track shoot hoops, etc...

And I'll bet that if those dog-walkers or joggers went and asked "can I?", they would be told "no". Then they too could start forums lamenting their lack of freedoms :iwish:

Back
Top Bottom