eeked out 100th Silver Coin FTY - some hard work!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Headed over to Butte Montana to try detecting there, had never done so before. Met my friend from Helena with the Nox 800, and boy, we worked hard for our old coins!

Temps were in the 90's, humidity was a bit high for Montana, the sun was cookin', the ground was baked hard, and the better coins were sparse. My 98th silver with the AT Pro was a whacked up Merc Dime, 99th was a nice Merc Dime, and the 100th was a 1961 Silver Rosie! Glad to have hit that mark, now just one more shiny goal for 2019. My other old coin was a 1906 "V" nickel, and about 20 wheat pennies. My clad totaled about $7.00.

My friend did well, 3 silvers... a Barber Dime and 2 Merc Dimes, so we each got three shiny. My friend also got a Buffalo Nickel, a V Nickel, and a nice looking 1901 Indian Head Cent. Also wheaties and clad.

I did learn that my AT Pro has a bit of a struggle in highly mineralized soil, as Ground Balance in Butte was "94." Have never seen it that high before, but then again, Butte was once "The Richest Hill on Earth" for all the copper and precious metals that came out of that ground. The Pro did ok in this soil, but I was having a hard time and struggling trying to understand what it was telling me thru the audio.

Oh... and those Roman Coins... they were "found" at one of the yards we had permission to detect. The homeowner came out with a box of newer tokens and coins and a baggie of Roman Coins, and asked us to help ourselves. I picked out two of the nicer examples. I think they are real, and now can say I've found some "Really Old Coins" in Montana!

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coinz1.jpg
    coinz1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 237
  • coinz2.jpg
    coinz2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 216
Reaching the century plateau was no easy task for either of us David. Still goals attained. Congrats on the 3 Silver's, the "V", all the Wheat's and a great take of clad.The Roman coins are a very nice bonus. Trapper

Reaching the century plateau was no easy task for either of us David. Still goals attained. Congrats on the 3 Silver's, the "V", all the Wheat's and a great take of clad.The Roman coins are a very nice bonus. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, appreciate your comments! Yeah, getting to 100 this year was a bit of a struggle. Many hunts with no silvers with a couple of hunts where I got double digit silvers in one day!

Congrats on your 100th silver fty.

My detector gets super chatty in a high mineral soil. It's so bad that I have to bring the Advil along with me....

Congrats on your 100th silver fty.

My detector gets super chatty in a high mineral soil. It's so bad that I have to bring the Advil along with me....

Thank you Estima8tor! Butte Montana had the highest GB number I'd seen with my AT Pro, and it made it pretty chatty! Over here in Western Montana the ground balance is usually around 80-85 so much nicer soil!

Wow! let us pretend that the Romans made it across the pond ;)

We have a guy who is excellent on 'our' forum here in the U.K. for IDing Roman coins.
I can't help because they are so rare where I live. You are welcome to join and ask.

https://www.premiermdf.co.uk/

Wow! let us pretend that the Romans made it across the pond ;)

We have a guy who is excellent on 'our' forum here in the U.K. for IDing Roman coins.
I can't help because they are so rare where I live. You are welcome to join and ask.

https://www.premiermdf.co.uk/

Thanks bodkin, will check that out!

Congrats on hitting the century mark, that’s a great accomplishment!

Thanks Jam, appreciate that, hope to get a few more this year too!

100 silvers is a testament to hard work , perseverance and of course, fertile ground. Awesome achievement.

Thanks MT - appreciate your comments!

Back
Top Bottom