Cob in California

Great find! I've never found a cob here in RI in six years of detecting. Really amazing to find one in CA. Congrats!

Awesome cob Tom, congrats!
Even down here they are rare finds in the bush, I have maybe 30 reales but only three or four cobs. They are so small they make for tricky targets to find especially if it is a site that was used for a long time and littered with garbage.

Congratulations Tom!
I'm surprised you still have a bucket list, what else could be on it?

Great find! I've never found a cob here in RI in six years of detecting. Really amazing to find one in CA. Congrats!

Nah I was just busting your chops for cross posting :laughing:

Never found one Tom !! Cool deal

Awesome cob Tom, congrats!
Even down here they are rare finds in the bush, I have maybe 30 reales but only three or four cobs. They are so small they make for tricky targets to find especially if it is a site that was used for a long time and littered with garbage.

thanx guys for helping me relish in the odd find. Zeemang: Love your thoughts /angle on the strategies and history ! (sheesk, *only* "3 or 4" cobs ? My heart bleeds for you ! :roll: )

Just want to know how far east is California's borders? And which guy sold you that coin? Fantastic dig Tom and a true West coast bucketlister. After over 40 years in this hobby Tom you have earned this reward. Huge congrats! Trapper

west coast lies i tell ya who sent that to you tom:lol: greta finds buddy cob is awesome

... Can I get on the mailing list, too? :lol: JK.

Yeah yeah, I know : You guys have me "dead to rights". I got a coin that supposed to be for east-coasters. Do I repent ? HECK NO ! :sissyfight:

A bunch more silver and goodies have come from subsequent hunts at this site. By myself and others. Will be posting a followup wrap-up, with a bunch more pix, in the weeks to come. A "grand finale" post, once we collect up the pix of the various piles of finds, from the 6 or 7 hunters who are in-the-know about this spot.

That's a sweet little "end of the bar" piece of silver. And all the other beauties. Great score! Didn't know why they call them "cobs". I guess just because they're cut from bars of silver supposedly.

That's a sweet little "end of the bar" piece of silver. And all the other beauties. Great score! ....

I'd take that over a crusty old copper anyday! Nice work Tom!

thanx for helping me enjoy the bucket-lister guys.

A bit of research has revealed that : Peru made "cob" style coins up till 1773. At which time their last mint changed over to "milled" style coins. And the discernible features on mine do indeed point to Peru mint (according to a numismatist who's looked at it now).

So ... theoretically, it could date to as late as 1773. And thus, theoretically, could be a period-loss in the area that it was found. Because, as said, there's some historical "comings and goings", in the 1770s, that was less than half-mile from this spot .

Can't say anything more than that, lest it start to give clues to the location. Later on: Some friends and I will post the full play- by-play of all the stuff that's coming out of this site.

A Three-cent piece came out of the site @ Sunday PM. And ... so far ... two LC's have come up . (Eat your heart out , you snobby east coast guys ! haha :lol: ) Many barbers, a smattering of seateds (dimes and half-dimes), a Mexican reale, etc....

thanx for helping me enjoy the bucket-lister guys.

A bit of research has revealed that : Peru made "cob" style coins up till 1773. At which time their last mint changed over to "milled" style coins. And the discernible features on mine do indeed point to Peru mint (according to a numismatist who's looked at it now).

So ... theoretically, it could date to as late as 1773. And thus, theoretically, could be a period-loss in the area that it was found. Because, as said, there's some historical "comings and goings", in the 1770s, that was less than half-mile from this spot .

Can't say anything more than that, lest it start to give clues to the location. Later on: Some friends and I will post the full play- by-play of all the stuff that's coming out of this site.

A Three-cent piece came out of the site @ Sunday PM. And ... so far ... two LC's have come up . (Eat your heart out , you snobby east coast guys ! haha :lol: ) Many barbers, a smattering of seateds (dimes and half-dimes), a Mexican reale, etc....

Wow, an east coast site out west.

Great finds and research. Waiting to hear a lot more about the history.
Congrats.

I don't expect to find anything like that up here in Washington but this post gives me hope. đź‘Ť

Wow, an east coast site out west.

Great finds and research. Waiting to hear a lot more about the history.
Congrats.

Thanx for helping me enjoy the find guys.

I hope to have a wrap-up post, to include photos of all the rest of our gang's finds from the site. The old-town park renovation scrape work seems to be wrapping up. So I'll gather up some photos of all the other sorts of finds we found. Should have it up within a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom