• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Railroad spike pry bar

wally76

Found this detecting. It was about two inches down. Quite a workout lugging this beast back to the truck.

Attachments

• 20190710_155426_2_19.jpg
    20190710_155426_2_19.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 578
  • 20190710_155439_18.jpg
    20190710_155439_18.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 482
  • 20190710_155451_19.jpg
    20190710_155451_19.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 20190710_155503_18.jpg
    20190710_155503_18.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
I'll toss in a "nice find", too.
However, I suggest you NOT post pics, or even info of anything you find in/on a railroad right of way.
Just walking along a rail line is felony trespass, should an eager beaver prosecutor choose to pursue it. NEVER take any rail scrap to a metals dealer. They are obligated to report you, and that's a felony. Just a friendly warning to anyone who might have, or might in the future, walk along a rail lines.

Roger

Thanks for the info.
There hasn't been a train on those tracks in 60 years. They are actually part of a town walking trail now.

Then, that's probably different. It's probably a defunct, local rail line, and the rights have been officially reverted back to the township.

But you didn't mention that in your first post in this thread.

Surprised they didn't take advantage of state or federal dollars for building "nature trails", like Iowa did. A lot of wheelbarrows of money have been spent on the blasted things in the last decade or two. Burns my backside a bit, as 100% of the taxpayers are having to pay for something that perhaps 5% of the population uses. Wonder how everybody would feel if a lawsuit required them to build a taxpayer funded drag strip?

Roger

I'll toss in a "nice find", too.
However, I suggest you NOT post pics, or even info of anything you find in/on a railroad right of way.
Just walking along a rail line is felony trespass, should an eager beaver prosecutor choose to pursue it. NEVER take any rail scrap to a metals dealer. They are obligated to report you, and that's a felony. Just a friendly warning to anyone who might have, or might in the future, walk along a rail lines.

Roger

Thanks for posting this. I'd hate to hear of someone getting the idea to go raid railroad tracks for iron. I've heard "the railroad owns all that" and "the scrap dealers will turn you in", but I was not knowledgeable of the facts, so I did not mention it in my first post.

Yeah, the rail system was so important in the country's development, and is so ingrained into society and the country's strategic needs, that it enjoys Federal protection.
A fair bit of that is that it's the quickest way to move heavy equipment from coast to coast. (Think tanks and armored vehicles.)
Should this country get invaded by a military force, can you imagine just how the rail system would be utilized, and how much priority it would have over almost everything else?

Roger

Back
Top Bottom