Trash picking find. Need help IDing this vintage toy chest!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Couldn't let this vintage toy chest go to the landfill. It's covered with padded vinyl and has a cowboy and cowgirl design on it. Decent shape, except the vinyl on top has a few rips. Also had a very large stuffed panda bear inside the box, possibly from the same era.

Can anyone give me an idea as to how old it is and maybe who made it? Any input would be appreciated. I've looked on eBay and did a Google image search and couldn't find it anywhere. Help!

Attachments

• toy chest 1.jpg
    toy chest 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 487
  • toy chest 2.jpg
    toy chest 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 388
  • panda.jpg
    panda.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 450
IDK who made it but judging from the cowgirl's hair, I'd say 1940s to 1950s. That printed vinyl was very popular then . I have a similar box that was my grandmother's. She used to store pop bottles in it before returning them to the store. We kids used to raid it and cash 'em in ourselves (she let us!).

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I think you're correct. Can't imagine why I can't find a picture of one anywhere, though. Maybe it was a poor seller. It's very large, so it could have been more expensive than other toy chests of that era. I'll keep looking for more info on it...

My pictures aren't that great, so here's better one of the cowboy and cowgirl.

Attachments

• DSCN0062 (2).jpg
    DSCN0062 (2).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 382
That may be the answer! If it was mass produced, there should be a few around for sale. Still a cool find. I may even repair it myself, if I can find the materials to do it. Thanks for your help!

I'd have to agree, late 40's early 50's. It's in surprisingly good shape for a toy box. If you do decide to refinish it and can't find a suitable material for the top, you might consider getting a vinyl repair kit. I've used them on boat and motorcycle seats. They work quite well. It's worth saving. A genuine piece of nostalgia there. You can almost feel dad out in the garage, his rolled up jeans and pompadour hair cut. Tapping away to make his new baby a toy box. You may be able to find the vinyl piping or a suitable replacement through a marine vinyl vender online.

Thanks for the tips, flyguy784! I might have to use a solid white vinyl to repair the top. I doubt if I could find the same vinyl that's on it now. If all else fails, I will buy a vinyl repair kit.

The piping is pretty brittle, so I might have to replace it all. The chrome finish on the tacks are peeling, so they may have to go as well. We'll see how ambitious I am over the next month or so!

Sorry I can't help I.d.
But nice save on that vintage chest, it looks like it's made of cedar wood?
Two years ago I took a new job.
Leaving the rock quarry industry..
Now driving roll off dumpster truck for that (green) company...
I see so much treasure in the trash, it's crazy!
Just last week I rescued a vintage plastic toy guitar from a dumpster.
Just has one broken string,
A sunburst, emenee ( tiger)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Nice toy guitar! It's crazy the things people toss in the trash. I've made some good money by grabbing furniture and other stuff. I really hate to see old furniture end up in the landfill. Not that hard to refinish it or repair a broken drawer. It's a throw away society now, I guess.

As for the wood, I think it's made of pine, but not sure. He covered the inside with some sort of paper that has a wood grain finish with knots. It's peeling a little, but I'll probably leave it that way.

Looks like Dale and Roy from their younger years !

Could be! I did spot these two guys online. They're from the 1930's, though. Rootin' tootin' cowboy and cowgirl. Close, but not a match.

Attachments

• Rootin Tootin Cowboy-Cowgirl Dolls.jpg
    Rootin Tootin Cowboy-Cowgirl Dolls.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 277
Back
Top Bottom