Brass in pocket

RichieSoprano

Not the Pretenders tho...found a 1970 D penny today struck on a brass planchet. Found a value of 300 retail on Mercari. Pretty darn pleased. One ah these days gonna watch a tutorial on posting pics on sites. But the mercari one is roughly how mine looks. Been lurking awhile and learned a good amount from King Totsalot and the Princess. This CRH thing is GREAT. Almost forgot...also found a 1971 s dime and it is NOT clad...all silver so I am gonna have to investigate that value
I cannot thank all the posters here enuff!

There were no silver 1971 S mint dimes minted so I wonder if it’s plated? I have several plated dimes found crh’ing, including a chrome-plated ‘64, gold-plated, and anodized examples. Also silver-rimmed ‘71 and ‘73 Kennedy halves but they did not pass the tissue test.

Brass planchet cent sounds interesting.

The tarnish/patina is that silver oxide look...the edge of the coin is also blackish patina, and NO evidence of being clad. I am afraid to even clean it. The luster on the obverse and reverse make it obvious this was a proof. The second I opened the roll and it landed on the soft placemat I CRH on I just stared at it, it was really clear it was not like it's brethren in the roll. If anyone likes I do know how to text and attach pics to that. PM me and if u like feel free to post it to this thread. I am very happy to share!

The tarnish/patina is that silver oxide look...the edge of the coin is also blackish patina, and NO evidence of being clad. I am afraid to even clean it. The luster on the obverse and reverse make it obvious this was a proof. The second I opened the roll and it landed on the soft placemat I CRH on I just stared at it, it was really clear it was not like it's brethren in the roll. If anyone likes I do know how to text and attach pics to that. PM me and if u like feel free to post it to this thread. I am very happy to share!
Is is possible that you could get a weight? Should narrow it down.

I don't have a gram scale yet. I want to buy one so I can weigh 82 and 83 pennies anyway. When I get one what weight am I looking for, for silver?
You’re looking for the weight difference between clad and silver. For the weight specifications, do you own a Redbook? Otherwise, guuuugle it.

Sorry to say pal but the chances of it actually being silver are like one in a trillion. I mean it's not impossible there has been an actual 1970 us quarter on a silver Canadian quarter platchet but as I said your chances are very small. Likely it's a altered coin. I've also found us dimes post 1965 that are nicely tarnished and reflective. The weight always comes back as the clad, for me atleast! Weigh it and please prove me wrong. :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom