where to dig silver coins?

silver coins

Keep searching, 1842 house, if only one silver coin was lost every 5 years that would be 35 silvers. Good luck HH Jerry

Deep silver

We have been searching parks that were used in the late 1800’s to present, one was converted to a ball park. Lots of foil, nails, new coins (several 5 gallon buckets full of trash) over 4 years and now that all that is dug out we are finding silver. Last six days pouring rain i have pulled out a 1891 v nickle, 1911 barber dime, 1913 barber dime, 1/2 frank, 1919 wheaty, 1924 mercury, gold ring with blue saffire and diamonds. All these 6 to 10 inches deep in some heavy soil that looked old (you know what i mean) started working the park with a dfx 10dd now working the park with V3i 13in ultimate, soil is fairly mineralized, rx 11 or 12, dec 75, 7.5 banpass slow sweeps 4sec one way. The signals have all been sketchy especially the v nickle which was very corroded, going out tomorrow with the deep silver setting on the ol v3i ya never know.

It's just not a large player in how that type of soil moves. Other processes cause items to 'sink' and/or be buried. If grass deposition were a significant factor, the soil would be extremely high in organic matter. It certainly plays a part, but not a large one.

Well , I have a couple good old ball parks that I have dug 15 inches and can not find anything but rich black dirt . Wondering how far I must go to find clay . If you do not think 80 years of grass clipping does not make another 6 inches of top soil I do not know how else to explain it .

Fill

Bingo on all above! My strategy EXACTLY!
2 things on those ball fields...you’d better have a setup that sees a 10” quarter or forget it,at least around here.The ball field is the number one thing that gets mowed religiously every week,maybe twice in 10 days...there’s a lot of grass deposition that has built up and has buried those coins deeper and deeper for a long time. Lots of people have hunted them in the past. It means very little. Get a big coil and a machine with excellent ID at depth and go to town. Be careful to be neat! All of my ball field silver is at 8”+ except for a fluke every 12-15 coins or so. If you learn to hunt deep in these ball fields you will find silver. Period.
This is where a very large coil earns its keep...

I like the "worned" out old ball fields. The older ones that look great usually have had fill brought in, reseeded and brought up top date.

Well , I have a couple good old ball parks that I have dug 15 inches and can not find anything but rich black dirt . Wondering how far I must go to find clay . If you do not think 80 years of grass clipping does not make another 6 inches of top soil I do not know how else to explain it .

It doesn't, that is not how grass clippings degrade under normal conditions... It is no matter, not worth the time to argue over.

It doesn't, that is not how grass clippings degrade under normal conditions... It is no matter, not worth the time to argue over.

Ok , I do not want to argue about it either .
Maybe over the years the ball fields have been Re done with soil braught in or air rated multiples of times . Many were built in low spots already even with natural hillside seating . The idea of an area like this alreadybstarting with a large sediment base could be more likely.
I did not mean to come off the wrong way, I did not mean to sound like I was ganging up on ya .
It seems most of the parks and similar recreation areas were set aside as the land was low and wet and more less likely to be useful at the time . My perspective seems to be from the smaller town situations .
Always interesting in learning something if you have time to share.
Dew

Ok , I do not want to argue about it either .
Maybe over the years the ball fields have been Re done with soil braught in or air rated multiples of times . Many were built in low spots already even with natural hillside seating . The idea of an area like this alreadybstarting with a large sediment base could be more likely.
I did not mean to come off the wrong way, I did not mean to sound like I was ganging up on ya .
It seems most of the parks and similar recreation areas were set aside as the land was low and wet and more less likely to be useful at the time . My perspective seems to be from the smaller town situations .
Always interesting in learning something if you have time to share.
Dew

I'm happy to educate as much as possible, I just have a bad way of coming off as condescending. It almost got me fired at work the other week, purely from poor choice of words.

In a lawn-type soil structure, very little biomass gets put back into the soil, it is very different from say a forest or a healthy pasture. Frequent cutting of the grass means most of the carbonaceous material doesn't become part of the soil. Soils build up through large inputs, either from large quantities of organic matter, such as leaf litter, or through physical addition of material, through sedimentation or intentional fill material. That is not to say that things can't 'sink' deeper into the soil over time.

Some times it's just dumb luck. I had my F2 fired up for a matter of minutes and was in my front yard trying to learn how to use it. Right around the house I was getting tons of good signals which all ended up being scraps of aluminum from the house being built. I moved further from my house and dug a good dime signal. Ended up being an early 1800's capped bust dime. My house was built in the late 1970's and was just crop fields before that. You never know where somebody could have dropped a coin over the years. Pretty sad after several years that the first coin I dug is still the oldest I have dug.....
Obviously targeting older houses and schools will up your chances.

What detector, how do you have it setup, and you have to get over it to find it. Keep at it and you’ll find some

Lol! You're kidding right?!

Not kidding. There are one left. Sell
Your detectors and find a new hobby. This goes double for everyone in the SE! 🤣[emoji23]🤣[emoji23]🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a coin collector, and metal detectorist. IN my first year of the hobby I have found a two cent piece(and countless pulltabs), but never a silver coin! a 2 cent is more exiting, but I need some searching options for silver coins.
Does anyone have advice on the types of places to maximize my chances of finding silver coins?

When ever I see a parking lot or sidewalks torn out I follow the dump trucks and see where they dump. This has paid off for me many times.

When ever I see a parking lot or sidewalks torn out I follow the dump trucks and see where they dump. This has paid off for me many times.
You mean the trucks with the big sign on the back that says Do Not Follow? Haha!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have question related to this thread: will using headphones help find deeper targets - including silver - buy allowing you to hear softer, quieter signals that you may miss with the speaker?

Back
Top Bottom