Difference between Nox 600 vs. 800?

Rawkfist

I want a machine to take out in the woods, parks etc AND take to the beach when I go. I live 30min from the ocean and I think I would go more often IF I had a machine to take in the wet sand and water. The one thing I would like to find more of is gold chains. I know they aren't easy to find but is one of these machines much better than the other for this? Thanks

My understanding is they use the identical 3 frequencies when running in multi frequency. The 800 has 2 additional frequencies for hunting gold nuggets. The 800 comes with wireless headphones where you have to buy the wireless headphones for the 600. The 800 is more customizable as far as setting up advanced features. As far as hunting a beach, virtually identical as far as I can tell.

What I can get between the 2 machines with the 800 2 extra gold freq used for sub gram gold . And you have more customization on the tones , high low for back light on 800 only on or of for 600 . For me I didn’t need all that and I hunt only beaches which finds gold ring just fine

So both machines have same ability to find gold chains? One isn't better than the other in doing that?

The 800 has a Gold program and uses the 20 kHz and 40 kHz frequencies that the 600 does not have. For gold you want the 800.

-Joe

No difference

So both machines have same ability to find gold chains? One isn't better than the other in doing that?

In the regular multi frequency or single frequency there’s no difference in detection between the 2 machines it’s the 800 with the extra 2 frequency

It is my understanding that BOTH the 600 and 800 will run 5, 10, 15 , 20, 40
KHZ in Multi frequency

the 800 will allow you to select SINGLE frequency of all listed above and the 600 will only allow you to use SINGLE frequency of 5, 10, 15

600 vs 800 finding gold

I want a machine to take out in the woods, parks etc AND take to the beach when I go. I live 30min from the ocean and I think I would go more often IF I had a machine to take in the wet sand and water. The one thing I would like to find more of is gold chains. I know they aren't easy to find but is one of these machines much better than the other for this? Thanks

The 600 will find gold chains and rings identical to 800 in multi frequency mode
You use the 800 , 20 and 40 freq for sub gram gold more for prospectors you can change tones and pitch sounds to in 800 but that doesn’t help with finding gold my opinion

I just checked the specs from Minelab again. The 600 does not support the 20 or 40 kHz frequencies in any mode.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-600?view=faq

-Joe

Joe in my Post I said that the 600 uses 5, 10 and 15khz as SINGLE selectable frequencies ..however BOTH the 600 and 800 use the sane MULTI frequency which encompasses 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 freq.

* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings.

https://beldasmetaldetectors.com/products/minelab-equinox-800

Attachments

• Multi frequency.jpg
    Multi frequency.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,390
Joe in my Post I said that the 600 uses 5, 10 and 15khz as SINGLE selectable frequencies ..however BOTH the 600 and 800 use the sane MULTI frequency which encompasses 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 freq.

* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings.

https://beldasmetaldetectors.com/products/minelab-equinox-800

After reviewing everything it seems Minelab has provided conflicting information. I'm not sure which is correct and I'll send a request to Minelab for clarification today. Here's Page 29 of the Instruction Manual seems to indicate the 600 doesn't have 20 and 40 kHz.

Attachments

• frequencies.jpg
    frequencies.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • frequencies2.jpg
    frequencies2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,399

Here is a video of a tutorial on the differences between the 600 a the 800. I have found these very helpful. She does one on each individual function of the detector. I hope these help.

https://youtu.be/CLykddIJQ6A

Minelab's marketing or communication is not in sync. I have seen it said many times that that the multi-frequency scan mode is identical between the two.

Either they both scan 5,10,15...and the 800 uses 20 & 40 separate only in gold mode. In which case the diagram is misleading in how it shows multifrequency spanning 5 - 40. Or, the 800 scans all 5 in multifrequency whereas the 600 scans in 3 frequencies. At which point the claim that multifrequency scanning is identical between the machines is wrong.

park, field, beach identical on 600 and 800 in Multi

800 has additional single frequency options of 20kh and 40khz as well as a multi or single gold mode.

800 also had more tone adjustments, backlight adjustments, and user profile button.

800 comes with wireless headphones and WM08 module.

After reviewing everything it seems Minelab has provided conflicting information. I'm not sure which is correct and I'll send a request to Minelab for clarification today. Here's Page 29 of the Instruction Manual seems to indicate the 600 doesn't have 20 and 40 kHz.

No conflicting information, it's just that Minelab has done a poor job of addressing the confusion that folks have had about the frequency differences between the two machines since launch. The downside of all the hype with the Equinox is that misinformation spread just as quickly as the excitement, and Minelab to this day has an uphill battle trying to correct the misunderstandings out there.

Correct, the EQ600 does not have 20 and 40 kHz as individually selectable, single frequencies. The EQ800 does have 20 and 40 kHz each as individually selectable, single frequencies in most modes (beach mode only uses multi-freq - single frequencies cannot be selected with either the 600 or 800 series in that mode).

For example, in Park 2 on an EQ600, you can set the machine to hunt in 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, or Multi. With an EQ800 in Park 2, I can do the same, but I can also set the machine to hunt in 20 kHz or 40 kHz, instead, if I wish.

But when set to hunt in Multi however, both machines function the same. This comes directly from Minelab's website:

Minelab Treasure Talk: Equinox 600 vs Equinox 800

The most relevant part of the article appears a couple paragraphs down, next to the bolded Multi-IQ, and I'll quote it here directly:

Most of the confusion I have seen online revolves around Minelab’s new Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technology and the frequencies employed by the two detectors. The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies, while the EQUINOX 800 also offers these plus the additional higher frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identical in the two models and provides the same maximum signal response to targets in Park, Field and Beach Detect Modes., The real magic of EQUINOX is in the Multi-IQ technology (not the single frequencies), therefore you can rest assured the EQUINOX 600 matches the EQUINOX 800 in this regard.​
(Note: emphasis is Minelab's)

I won't pretend to know how Minelab makes Multi work the same in both machines - but perhaps one way to wrap your head around it is to imagine that the electronics inside the EQ600 and EQ800 are essentially the same, but the user is only allowed access to 20 kHz and 40 kHz as individually selectable frequencies on the EQ800.

All that said, keep in mind that the two detectors have subtle differences that go beyond just the frequencies which can impact performance. "Gold" mode is not available on the EQ600, even though it theoretically has the identical Multi frequency functionality as the EQ800. Iron Bias and Recovery Speed selections have greater resolution on the EQ800, which will create slight performance differences between the two detectors when they are adjusted on the EQ800 in ways that the EQ600 can't quite match. For example, Recovery Speed 3 on the EQ600 equals Recovery Speed 6 on the EQ800 (see Minelab's website: Minelab Treasure Talk: Recovery Speed & Target Masking). The EQ800 has Recovery Speed settings 7 and 8 which the EQ600 cannot achieve, theoretically giving the EQ800 an unmasking advantage in some situations. Recovery Speed 5 on the EQ800 falls between 2 and 3 on the EQ600, demonstrating the EQ800's ability to be more finely tuned to site conditions.

800 unit has prospecting modes.
These modes deeper than park or field modes.
600 unit does not have.

The field, park and beach detect modes are identical on both 800 and 600 models (multifreq selected).

800 unit allows for single fre ops of 20 kHz and 40 kHz where 600 does not offer.

Coin hunters will find 800 unit more enjoyable due to having more ways to configure detector tonally per target of interest.

Backlight on 600 is either on or off. Reports suggests it is too bright (non adjustable).

600 unit will get no wireless headphones.

800 u it gives you wireless headphones and a wireless headphone model.
IMO EQX 800 actually better value when all is weighed as far as package and settings/modes capabilities go.

You also get a user profile option with 800 unit.

Better select target recognition based on tone using 800 vs the 600 model.

Prospecting modes on 800 unit are not only good for gold. They are good for depth plus they actually give the best separation/unmasking performance in heavy iron and nails. Will take a user some time to get accustomed to. Trust me, this is no BS.

Can I hunt behind a fellow Nox runner using field or parkmdetect modes in a polluted site using my Nox and Propsecting modes and make finds behind them?
Yes. How do I know this?
Because I have done hunting behind myself. And on a large portion of the finds located with prospecting modes, I have actually done head to head on these ( undisturbed) and sure enough prospecting modes signal either easier to acquire. Easier to hear, or allowed somewhat faster and or more coil slop to acquire signal.

A person can cross check signals too comparing the field, park modes to suspicious signals located using prospecting modes.

You want to be all you can be the EQX 800 better choice. And NO I don’t work for Minelab. Just a user of their Equipment.

Cheers.

I didn't receive any reply to my email from Minelab so I started calling them. I talked to several people, and actually got conflicting answers. I was finally able to speak to a person who identified himself as a product engineer.

I was absolutely wrong. The Equinox 800 and 600 are identical in Multi mode. The units are apparently electronically identical, but the software and case are different. It begged the question, "can a 600 be functionally turned into an 800 with a firmware flash?" Well the 600 case doesn't allow access to one of the physical buttons (that is apparently there on the pcb) but he said that there are safeguards in place to prevent such an upgrade.

So if the software limitations of the 600 don't bother you and you plan on using multi mode most often then the 600 is just as good as the 800.

-Joe

Using mulit freq comparing 600 to 800.
800 unit superior to 600 unit.
Will be deeper and separate/unmask better by way of prospecting modes.

Remember I can use my 800 unit and indeed mimick a 600 unit. But I can also see the weakness of 600 unit By using prospecting modes and comparing located signals using prospecting modes and check using park 1 and 2 and field 1 and 2.

Serious relic hunters, 800 unit the way to go.
Open field relic hunting prospecting modes allow for faster coil sweeps and more slop as far as coil centering over target to make user put on the brakes and have a second look.
Been there and done this loads.

Now if you only plan to salt water beach hunt.
No brainer 600 will work.
You just won’t have the means to set your tones up like the model 800 detector offers.

I didn't receive any reply to my email from Minelab so I started calling them. I talked to several people, and actually got conflicting answers. I was finally able to speak to a person who identified himself as a product engineer.

I was absolutely wrong. The Equinox 800 and 600 are identical in Multi mode. The units are apparently electronically identical, but the software and case are different. It begged the question, "can a 600 be functionally turned into an 800 with a firmware flash?" Well the 600 case doesn't allow access to one of the physical buttons (that is apparently there on the pcb) but he said that there are safeguards in place to prevent such an upgrade.

So if the software limitations of the 600 don't bother you and you plan on using multi mode most often then the 600 is just as good as the 800.

-Joe

"So if the software limitations of the 600 don't bother you and you plan on using multi mode most often then the 600 is just as good as the 800."

That's is where I am today about the differences. A simple cost of generally $50 plus or minus, gets you a great audio performance with Low Loss HPs. You then have $250 savings between the 800 and 600 retail prices, which can add a second coil or detecting accessory.

The tones would be one feature I'd test and most likely use, but I can discern the targets I am looking for by simply running in 50 tones. I have ran Minelab FSB detectors for a while already, so tones are already in my head.

Having said all of that, I would have bought an 800 when I got my 600, because that's just the way I am on technology. I am happy after the fact that I got the 600, added the 6" coil and my Trond LL headphones. All of that still totals under the retail price of the 800 and I have flexibility in coil sizes.

I certainly don't feel a need for 20 & 40 khz frequencies. Multi is finding some crazy small high conductors DEEP, and grams of gold will never be my desire. To each their own though.

Back
Top Bottom