Coins, I am very confused

I guess I have REALLY got a lot to learn about coins. I see you guys talking about barbers, toasted copper, wheats,Merck’s and others. But I have no idea what they are.

Yeah, the lingo takes a bit of getting used to regarding the detecting slang for old coins..To the uninitiated, It can be quite disconcerting......

For instance, we see these kinds of posts all the time!
"I stabbed a Nice Walker in the park today!"....or.... "I nailed an old Indian Fatty right on the curb strip in front of the bus stop!"..or..."I dug up a 100 year old Barber in a vacant lot!" "I pulled a heavily masked Merc off a baseball field!" "I just bagged my first Stander!" "Today at the Walmart coinstar, I picked up a pretty sweet Rosie!"

Yeah, it takes a while to figure what we are talking about...Metal Detecting is often compared to learning a new language, both on the dirt and on the Forums....it takes a bit of discrimination, sensitivity, and its nice to have a positive threshold sometimes...also a Lesche...Whatever the hell that is...:lol:

Yeah, the lingo takes a bit of getting used to regarding the detecting slang for old coins..To the uninitiated, It can be quite disconcerting......

For instance, we see these kinds of posts all the time!
"I stabbed a Nice Walker in the park today!"....or.... "I nailed an old Indian Fatty right on the curb strip in front of the bus stop!"..or..."I dug up a 100 year old Barber in a vacant lot!" "I pulled a heavily masked Merc off a baseball field!" "I just bagged my first Stander!" "Today at the Walmart coinstar, I picked up a pretty sweet Rosie!"

Yeah, it takes a while to figure what we are talking about...Metal Detecting is often compared to learning a new language, both on the dirt and on the Forums....it takes a bit of discrimination, sensitivity, and its nice to have a positive threshold sometimes...also a Lesche...Whatever the hell that is...:lol:
Nailed it!

And why is an SLQ, a STANDING Liberty Quarter ?

Seems to me, it leaves the SEATED Liberty Quarter out in the cold, with no abbreviation to call its own. What's up with that ?

And why is an SLQ, a STANDING Liberty Quarter ?

Seems to me, it leaves the SEATED Liberty Quarter out in the cold, with no abbreviation to call its own. What's up with that ?

It's because you only find one seated liberty quarter in like a million years, so no abbreviation needed.

Back
Top Bottom