• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox 600 or 800

SilverSlayer98

I'm going to buy two more detectors. Currently my girlfriend and I use a Garrett AT Pro and I use an AT Max. We moved to Houston Texas from Ohio and I want a good saltwater and all around detector. I would much rather spend $650 on the 600 and the local shop has a deal that they come with pinpointers. So two 600s and two pinpointers for $1300 maybe a bit less because he said he would give me a deal if I bought two. The 800s are the usual $899 and doesn't come with the pinpointers but he said he'd throw one in if I bought two 800s. I have a Garrett carrot so I only need one more pointer as well. Talk me into why I should buy the 800s over the 600s. I really want the 800s but just don't know if I want to spend $1800 over $1300 for two 600s. Let me know your opinions especially if you've used both machines. I don't know what the benefits of the 800 are exactly either and I know I could do my own research but I prefer real experience over online specs if you know what I mean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I mainly beach metal detect. I have the Nox 600. Besides a few more frequencies I believe, they are both the same MD. 800 had a gold setting and the 600 does not. I do not know if you can use that gold setting on the beach but beach 1 and 2 can pick up gold rings.

I believe that if you are not going into the mountains to go look for gold, The 600 should be ok for you BUT please listen to others in the group also.

GLHH!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I have the 800 and had the 600. I see no difference in performance and I really doubt the 800 would find any jewlery or coins the 600 wouldn’t. The only upside to the 800 for me as a coin hunter is giving a nickel a hightone. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I’d get the 600

I have the 600 and really like it. From what I understand the 600 and 800 are basically the same machine with the 800 having more options. The 800 has more range of adjustment in things like iron bias, recovery speed, more adjustment in the tones and can save user settings for future use. The 800 also has the 2 gold prospecting modes.

The only thing I feel I am missing is the ability to adjust the tone buckets and save settings, neither of which is a deal breaker.

The 800 just makes bad financial sense, against the 600. I own both myself. The 600 against the 800 in package deals is a no brainer. Get the 600

Your getting some good advice here. I own both. Every time I think about selling my 600 I think twice about it and come to the realization that except for the 800 and my V3i, there is not another detector that I would rather be using. If I set up the 800 and 600 the same way with the same coil and use 1, 2 or 50 tones I really can't tell any difference. In multi frequency Park, Field and Beach they have exactly the same frequency weighting. If you use 5 tones a lot or want to use single frequency 20 kHz or 40 kHz (which are only available on the 800 as a selectable single frequencies in Park, Field and Gold modes) the differences between the two are more obvious. They are both great detectors.

If it was me, I would get one of each.........that way you can use the WM08 module with your favorite wired headphones on one Nox and use the wireless headphones on the other one. In Beach modes they are basically the same detector since Beach 1 and 2 can only be used in multi frequency.

good luck,
Jeff

Has anyone does any experimentation with the recovery speed setting, and if so, does one machine seem to have an advantage over the other.

The Equinox 800 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Equinox 600....1....2....3

So if you want that extra bit of depth you can set up both detectors in say Park 1 with the 800 on recovery speed setting 1 and the 600 on its 1 (=2 on the 800). I have done this test on in the ground targets. I got barely 1/3 of an inch more depth on the 800. So no big difference depending on soil conditions.

If you need faster recovery speed then the Nox 800 has an advantage of 2 slightly faster settings.

Jeff

The Equinox 600 1 2 3

So if you want that extra bit of depth you can set up both detectors in say Park 1 with the 800 on recovery speed setting 1 and the 600 on its 1 (=2 on the 800). I have done this test on in the ground targets. I got barely 1/3 of an inch more depth on the 800. So no big difference depending on soil conditions.

If you need faster recovery speed then the Nox 800 has an advantage of 2 slightly faster settings.

Jeff

A helpful post, and just to add to that, when I had my Equinox 600, even on the "3" recovery speed setting, it was fast as heck. It was able to sound off on ALL the nails in my fence (they were about 2-3 inches apart) with a fairly fast swing. My Fisher F2 would sound off, AT BEST, on every other nail. I can't imagine what an "8" setting would provide with the Equinox 800.

The Equinox 600....1....2....3

Jeff

All the 6-8(above the 1-3 limit on the 600) so-called extra recovery settings on the 800, is useless unless you literally use the extra Minelab frequencies, aimed at gold alloy flakes.

I have both. In my opinion go with the 800. There are more customization you can do on the 800 that I believe brings my hunting skills up a notch. I use 5 tone but I shift the break points away from the default 0,10,20,30 and suit the machine to find the gold more easily. I also set the volume and the tone on each segment. I customize Park 1 and Park 2 the same way for silver. And Beach 1 and Beach 2 for gold.

For the Beaches my tone segments are 0,6,19,25, and 30. The 6-19 I make the volume and pitch higher just just below the 19-25 segment tones, etc. Most of my gold rings 40+ found with the Nox are in this range and an occasional ring in the 0-6 range. I kind of dig everything but I let the tones clue me in on the target since VDI can be bouncy on very deep targets.

Back
Top Bottom