city and county property

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
When using historic aerials and Google earth in my research, I always check the local county GIS tax database.

Often where I locate a good hunting site, eg once where an old house was located from an old historic aerials topo map the GIS data base indicates the county or city owns it. Most of the time they acquire it from back taxes not being paid.

In this case, it is time to hunt. By wearing clothes and a bright green safety vest or straps, I look like a city or county worker or surveyor and have never been bothered by anyone. Even those nosey do gooders ignore me. They think I am just a city or county employee.

Well one time a do gooder did ask me why I was surveying. I told her that they were going to build 1,000 units of low cost housing and a rec center for the poor. This was right next to $400,000 homes. She said that is impossible, and thanked me and left in somewhat of a hurry.

Anyway your yellow safety shirt is perfect urban and suburban camouflage when detecting on city or county land.

..... They think I am just a city or county employee......

Ssheessh, this just assumes that anyone "thinks" anything, in-the-first-place.

Personally, I don't think anyone gives a rat's #ss, or notices an md'r, in the first place :roll:

Absolutely love the idea of the urban/suburban look idea. :lol: Might even throw on a hardhat. :cool3:

When using historic aerials and Google earth in my research, I always check the local county GIS tax database.

Often where I locate a good hunting site, eg once where an old house was located from an old historic aerials topo map the GIS data base indicates the county or city owns it. Most of the time they acquire it from back taxes not being paid.

In this case, it is time to hunt. By wearing clothes and a bright green safety vest or straps, I look like a city or county worker or surveyor and have never been bothered by anyone. Even those nosey do gooders ignore me. They think I am just a city or county employee.

Well one time a do gooder did ask me why I was surveying. I told her that they were going to build 1,000 units of low cost housing and a rec center for the poor. This was right next to $400,000 homes. She said that is impossible, and thanked me and left in somewhat of a hurry.

Anyway your yellow safety shirt is perfect urban and suburban camouflage when detecting on city or county land.

people see what they think they,re seeing.Most folks assign a classification of public worker to any one wearing a safety vest and or hardhat and forget about it.Way to go,urban camo!

OK, MaxxKatt.........NOW you've done it, just as if you'd have strode into city hall and shouted, at the top of your lungs, "Can I metal detect this property and dig up anything I find?"

That Karen that you "informed" to what was going to happen with that lot, right in the midst of their HOA-controlled, blue-blood, high-faluttin' exclusive, gated community, will surely raise an alarm at the next meeting, telling all her busy-body friends and neighbors that have clout with somebody in city hall, who in turn will raise cain with thier representatives. :mad: This will surely start an investigation into the rumors, (that you started), and will get a fence raised around the lot(s) in order to keep trespassers out. :shock::no:

See what you did just to get rid of a nosey biped?:lol::wow:

Roger

OK, MaxxKatt.........NOW you've done it, just as if you'd have strode into city hall and shouted, at the top of your lungs, "Can I metal detect this property and dig up anything I find?" ...

Correct. And MaxxKatt should also not fail to mention "holes", and "remove" and "Indian bones" in his request. After all, you don't want to "mince words" and be "less than forthcoming", eh ? Also put a contract in front of them for them to sign, authorizing it. After all, ya can't be too safe, right ?

Ok, now hurry ..... go do the right thing :laughing:

I like the idea of urban camouflage.
Maybe look one way say indigent for one area and a city worker for another.
Many possibilities.
Mudd Puppy could expound on this. I miss his posts.

I like the idea of urban camouflage.
Maybe look one way say indigent for one area and a city worker for another.
Many possibilities.
Mudd Puppy could expound on this. I miss his posts.

A solid color polo, safety yellow (or orange) vest, and a card on a lanyard functions as urban camouflage almost anywhere outside of a closed off private area. The card on a lanyard kind of does the same job as a clipboard, but keeps both hands free.

A solid color polo, safety yellow (or orange) vest, and a card on a lanyard functions as urban camouflage almost anywhere outside of a closed off private area. The card on a lanyard kind of does the same job as a clipboard, but keeps both hands free.

^^^This^^^

I use a yellow safety vest, a perforated summer one and my badge/lanyard from work. No problems anywhere except I still can't find silver :-(

^^^This^^^

I use a yellow safety vest, a perforated summer one and my badge/lanyard from work. No problem anywhere except I still can't find silver :-(

I also have a yellow construction vest. I used it at a park renovation after asking a dozer operator about being out there. He asked us to use a vest so he could see us. I've not used it but there, and it'a been years. I just put it in my new car trunk. My ball cap is one with a single lightening bolt, so that might enhance the vest. Most folks don't bother a vested person.

If someone bothers you pull out one of those carbon copy pads and issue them a citation.

Back
Top Bottom