I'm puzzled, is this my detector or something else?

Diggin' It

I live in an 1860's farm house, and I have a White's MX7. I've had the MX7 about two years now, and found some interesting things around here...now here is what puzzles me...

I have found some coins, not a lot, and nothing older than the 1940's. I have the six shooter coil, I bought about a year ago, that I use mostly. The area around my house is full of iron things, you can go about any where, turn on the detector, and swing and get a signal.

I have to keep the sensitivity on 3 or 4, any higher, and it goes deeper, but target id is off the charts. It will say penny, quarter all kinds of things, that usually turn out to be iron.

I'm wondering if there are any settings I could change to help with this, or I wonder if I'm not getting deep enough for older coins? I don't think anyone has detected here before, but I've only been here since 2006...but it puzzles me why I can't find any older coins. I have the 9 inch concentric that came with the detector, the six shooter, and the 13 inch DD detech coil. If I try to use the 13" coil it's all over the place with the readings.

No experience with a MX7, but the deep coins are probably masked by all that iron. A concentric is probably not your best bet for depth or separation. Sounds to me like you need a DD in the 6"-9" range.

With the coil your using see how deep it will go in clean ground. Whatever that is add in all the iron and well you get the picture.

Maybe someone with a MX7 will chime in.

I have lots of MX7 experience. I sold it after the Equinox was released for the very reason you mentioned.........the target ID is all over the place. That is exactly what I experienced too. I had the small Detech round DD coil on mine and target ID went bye bye at around 3" where I detect. I really liked the MX7 but the Nox had much better, more accurate target ID even on deep targets. Whether the MX7 will hit deeper coins with a larger coil....probably if they are there. The MX7 was pretty good in iron if I remember correctly. As much as I really liked the display, I ended up putting a piece of tape over the area where the target name was displayed since it rarely was correct.

It kind of sounds like you might be dealing with a heavy iron trash site. Deeper targets are getting masked by the iron. Setting a faster recovery speed can help. Moving the coil slowly can help.

Thanks ya'll....I do go slowly...I have to... the other day I was in a spot with three targets in about a foot square.
There is no doubt about being heavy iron area... I find tons of square nails, horse shoes, and pieces of horse shoes, plow and tractor parts, car parts, bullet casings, shotgun brass ends.
Last Thursday I tried to hunt awhile, but my back made me stop after about an hour. I found a few pull tabs, a long nail or spike, a spoon, and a bearing or wagon hub, and a very small horse shoe. I put the horse shoe on the right to show the difference in size. The big horse shoe I found under the house, with hardly any rust at all.

Attachments

• LittleShoe.jpg
    LittleShoe.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 544
sounds like a job for the Equinox 800. The 800 has probably the best recovery speed of any detector and with multi-frequency it is very good at finding coins that are being masked by junk. Especially with the Coiltek 10 x 5" coil for the nox.

Have someone who is real experienced with the 800 to do a test hunt for you on your property to see for yourself.

sounds like a job for the Equinox 800. The 800 has probably the best recovery speed of any detector and with multi-frequency it is very good at finding coins that are being masked by junk. Especially with the Coiltek 10 x 5" coil for the nox.

Have someone who is real experienced with the 800 to do a test hunt for you on your property to see for yourself.

This, or dig all the iron and then maybe you will find a coin.

Back
Top Bottom