Pin pointer advice

elskel

Hello all, I am getting back into detecting. Looking for some advice / recommendations on a waterproof pin pointer.
Thanks, Brian

I agree with the Fisher F Pulse or the Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive

The Pulse Dive is the largest of all the Pin pointers on the market and the heaviest
I have both the F pulse and the Pulse Dive and Like both

the one thing I do not like about the F Pulse is I can hardly hear it even at full volume, but the vibration works good, the other thing I do not care for with the F Pulse is it is very easy to change settings unknowingly

the Pulse dive is a little harder to set things up in it but once you do set it up you cannot inadvertently change settings in it like you can the F pulse

I have no experience with the Garret mentioned by others I have had and still use the original Garret pro pointer that I purchased in 2009 and have had no issues with it at all

Amigos, Thanks for the quick responses. I have never used a pin pointer. I used to detect with a White's Surfmaster Pro PI and did pretty well. I am going to get back into detecting and have been checking some videos and saw the pin pointers being used. I have been looking at detectors -(Minelab Equinox 800) and will purchase a pin pointer also. looks like a great tool.
brian

The only issue I have with the Fisher F1 or the Teknetics version is that being PI, they can interfere with your detector...

I have never owned one, but the most popular pinpointer seems to be the Garrett orange carrot...A friend has one and has considerable more range than my standard Nocta Macro... I now use a Whites TRX which actually pinpoints off the end of the pointer...I prefer it in use to my Nocta Macro, but the Nocta Macro is built like a tank comparatively speaking ...

I would go with the Garrett simply because of there customer service. It’s nice if you need repairs.

I have the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, and I love it. I used it at the beach last month, and it had no problem being in submerged in the salt water. In my case, I have a Garrett detector too, so it's nice to hear both the detector and the pinpointer through my headphones (i.e., I don't have to take my headphones off to hear the pinpointer). This was particularly handy when I was trying to pinpoint in a foot of murky water where I couldn't even see the end of the pinpointer, but could hear it fine in my headphones.

Hope this helps!

P.S.: no matter which brand you get, beware of Chinese look-a-likes. Get it from a recognized dealer NOT from ebay. There are a number of dealers that sponsor this forum (see: https://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php). I got some gear from Myers and can vouch for them....

GL & HH!

I have always used a Garrett and love it.

My biggest advice, no matter which brand you want to run, get a real one from a real vendor. Too many people come here and try to save $20 buying through sites like amazon and wind up with a knockoff that fails quickly. Buy once, cry once and you'll be happier with the quality.

I have had several over the years...the long Kellyco one...LOL... the bullseye 2, the bounty hunter one<sucks...
Last week I purchased a garrett off ebay... was fake per Garrett returned...

So today I just purchased a Profind 20... not the 15, not the 35... I was able to watch the sales and applied a coupon and discount and got for $62 new not on ebay...half the price of the profind 35... I do not need a light... I do not need the discrimination... of the 35...

I wanted sound and vibration... and to be able to use one or the other...the 15 did not offer that...

Ninety percent of the time I do not need a pin pointer... But I decided with tree roots and other stuff to speed up the process to get a new decent one... Also been running into more glass again...

Might not meet the amount of waterproofing you need... I am on land only...and if raining will seal up... but for others better than the fakes...deal ONLY with an authorized dealer!!! Garrett told me the key is the serial number some of the fake ones... just use the same one over and over again and ...if you buy with a lanyard new it's a fake per Garrett.

+1 on the Notka Pulse Dive. I just got one, and it seems very well made. Also love the adjustable sensitivity.

I’m only comparing it to the cheap $20 no name I previously was using, so night and day difference there.

Garrett AT would be my recommendation.
But you must buy from a reputable dealer, as its so good that their are fake counterfeits!
And its difficult to tell a fake from the real deal, until its too late.
So I recommend registering your warranty with Garrett, as soon as possible, to avoid a fake.

Garrett pin-ponters

Garrett best all around and service is great.Watch out for chinese fakes:shock:james45

Attachments

• fake & real.jpg
    fake & real.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 352
We started out with (3) Garrett pro pointers between us. Mine has been flawless and its I'm guessing 8 years old now; my brothers has been repaired twice. The other one seems a bit quirky, so she bought a carrot and she really doesn't like it. I'm guessing that she may not be using it right since it's not like the original pro pointer.

I wish they still made the White's TRX. I've been using mine for at least 5 years without issue, granted I don't hunt all day every day. When my TRX finally kicks the bucket I guess I'll check out the Garrett carrot or maybe one of the XP pinpointers. Hoping i can get a few more years out of my TRX though...

The Nokta pulse dive for the win here! It's rechargeable and easily attaches to any of the pants that I wear. I carry the ProFind35 also.

Back
Top Bottom