Concave Button with GREAT Detail

Acuva24

Like most of my fellow Northeastern US detectorists, I've had the mid-winter itch. Last night, while perusing through my pile of buttons, I came across one that I had thrown into the pile without much consideration. I could tell there would be some detail beneath the packed dirt.

To my surprise, the detail was better than expected! The front of the button is concave and shows detail of a butterfly and some sunflowers. The reverse has the shank in tact and is convex.

The quality and detail of the button lead me to believe that this is an older button. I have never come across a concave button or one with this type of pictorial detail.

Does anyone have an idea of what this button may have been use for or when it could have been made? A huge fail on my behalf because I cannot remember where I even dug this button! :?:

Thank you for any info that you can provide.

Attachments

• OrnateButton1_Front.jpg
    OrnateButton1_Front.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 343
  • OrnateButton1_Back.jpg
    OrnateButton1_Back.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 318
Fantastic button, Acuva!!

I agree, judging by the overall effort put into the button and the great design and attention to detail, it’s almost certainly an old one - as they say, they just don’t make things like they used to! The shank appears to be an older variety, too. If I had to guess, I’d say mid to late 1800s - but it’s only a guess. Unfortunately, I can’t offer anything more than that opinion - I’m just not knowledgeable enough about dating buttons. Hopefully someone else can give you more definitive guidance!

Back
Top Bottom