Kingston, NY 7up Bottle (sealed bottle)

groundmagnet

I have been checking out a site for metal detecting recently. I walked an adjacent property where research has shown an old building existed from at least 1875 until the late 1980s on a topo map.

Found a 7up Bottle toady while working on plotting GPS coordinates. Bottle is not opened. On the metal top, it says: "Bottled by the 7up Bottling Company, 40 Bryun Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401."

The bottle is still filled with liquid, and while washing it off, it seems to have a bit of carbonation left!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I take them. Are unopened bottles rare? I'm trying to research the 7up bottling company in Kingston now.

Jz9goNqHZuNxDtgJgfMCDj3V8012qL-TIn8u5rmYj_fdPrMnzVSZhuOc3p-hn_7NGiErfRL08kQF3FS8Ug=w330-h220

3TLGFV1tkaABXJy3JyZfv5yB9kQHdOEVXoMBOmnx4GGXqiHeCl01xqh2RW6-9tkBjsIXZGaBKdgqyuiocw=w330-h220

That's pretty cool. I remember bottles like that from when I was a kid. I'm wondering how long it was outside though. I would think that one winter of freeze/thaw cycles would've wreaked havoc on it. Then again, if it was buried deep enough I guess it could survive.

Yea my wife is thinking the bubbles we are seeing is from the dawn dish detergent. It was around 12 inches deep in what seemed to be a trash pile. At this point we think the bottle is leaking, but the cap seems intact. I'll have to look closer tomorrow.

Looks like a 1960's version of the 'UNCOLA'. If you are over 50 you can dig it.

Wonder if Lithium is still one of the 7 ingredients.

Looks like a 1960's version of the 'UNCOLA'. If you are over 50 you can dig it.

Wonder if Lithium is still one of the 7 ingredients.

That bottle sure looks awfully nice condition to be buried. It looks like late 60s to mid-70s era. Lithium was banned by the FDA in '48:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/17/7up-history_n_5836322.html

There may be a 2 digit date code on the bottom of the bottle, most soda bottles had 'em. Note that anything with a zip code is at least after the mid 1960s.

Screw-top foil cap, with a serrated safety seal. Appears to be relatively modern to me.

Roger

Did a bit of research on the 7-up bottle. Date on the bottom is 77, so I'm assuming 1977. That would make sense as it was in a bag with 2 metal bottles of dry gas with a 1976 date on it. Also had a canned Quaker State oil can, among modern trash. This dump I believe is very recent, as these were mixed in a bag with newer items in a 12" deep pit with 2 other bags of trash on top. Looks like somebody in the development 30 feet away decided to clean out a garage or something and throw the bags in the woods. I find it hard to believe that this bottle survived a winter, so I suspect the bags were dumped sometime this year.

Cool find for me regardless, as I never knew 7-up was bottled in Kingston, and there is still a bottling plant there today. Nevertheless, I have put it on my small bottle shelf with other bottles I have found over the years as I find it neat!

I'll be hitting the site with the metal detector in the coming weeks after some of the other sites I have been researching.

Did a bit of research on the 7-up bottle. Date on the bottom is 77, so I'm assuming 1977. That would make sense as it was in a bag with 2 metal bottles of dry gas with a 1976 date on it. Also had a canned Quaker State oil can, among modern trash. This dump I believe is very recent, as these were mixed in a bag with newer items in a 12" deep pit with 2 other bags of trash on top. Looks like somebody in the development 30 feet away decided to clean out a garage or something and throw the bags in the woods. I find it hard to believe that this bottle survived a winter, so I suspect the bags were dumped sometime this year.

Cool find for me regardless, as I never knew 7-up was bottled in Kingston, and there is still a bottling plant there today. Nevertheless, I have put it on my small bottle shelf with other bottles I have found over the years as I find it neat!

I'll be hitting the site with the metal detector in the coming weeks after some of the other sites I have been researching.

Still pretty cool never knew there was a bottle plant there either

Back
Top Bottom