electrolysis questions

DrMRM

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about electrolysis. I probably know just about enough to try this, but not quite enough to make sure I don't do something stupid. First, I've seen people use small electronics adapters as their power source. Would an adapter like the one I've pictured below change AC to DC? Second, I've been looking at alligator clips on Amazon. Some of them say nickel plated steel. Is that the same thing as stainless steel? If not, would it produce the same result? I don't want to make any kind of toxic water in my garage (visions of Erin Brockovitch are playing in my head). Third, I've seen people write about using salt, baking soda, or Uglybox talks about its "brine" What should I put in the water and what's the ratio?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 631
I tried electrolysis quite a few years back on a pistol I found that turned out to be a cap gun. I don't know what you are supposed to use to seal the item when you're done but I recommend you do seal it because mine started out like picture no 1. After electrolysis it looked like picture no 2. I left it sitting on a table in my garage and it completely turned into a pile of rust dust, it literally disintegrated. It turned into picture no 3.
20150522_204427_zps1ogesmnk.jpg
20150527_171935_zpsifkwhk9c.jpg
20210504_194610.jpg

Those low voltage plugs will work but will probably take all week which is no big deal. Nickel plated steel is not the same as stainless steal so no worries there. What are you trying to clean? There may be a better option than clips. Baking soda works for electrolyte, nothing wrong with that either.

Those low voltage plugs will work but will probably take all week which is no big deal. Nickel plated steel is not the same as stainless steal so no worries there. What are you trying to clean? There may be a better option than clips. Baking soda works for electrolyte, nothing wrong with that either.

At this point it's just some brass or bronze pieces I've dug up, nothing important at all, maybe some square nails too. I want to have the process down so that when I come across something I do care about I know what I'm doing.

So I've been at electrolysis a few years now so I'll try to help you out.

First, I made a thread here with a few details and photos of my setup.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=282366

Second, your questions:
That plug will turn your AC into 5v/2.5amp DC. It will also run very slow for larger items. Most guys using those are for tiny things like jewelry, coins, utensils, etc. Some of those charges may also have fault switches built in where they turn off if they detect a short. That's why I use a bench generator and it also let's me dial in the current I want.

The alligator clips won't change the turnout of your process. Just make sure you get something that makes good contact with your metals in the water. I buy some heavier duty ones (in my link) from home depot.

As far as 'toxic', this process should be done where you have good ventilation. The process does produce mild gases and you would leave the garage door open or at least run wires outside (like my images) and leave your tank outdoors.

As far as brine, I use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Only because the guide I followed used it when I first started. You make the brine because it helps the current flow through the water between your metals. The amount, I just use what looks good. I used to measure it, but now I don't. In my link you'll see my bucket, I throw about a cup into warm water, stir until dissolved, then drop my piece in and turn it all on. If I use a larger container I'll throw more in. While I'm moving it I just make sure the water gets nice and cloudy and it's all dissolved to know I have enough.

Anymore questions let me know. I can grab more photo examples if you need anything.

So I've been at electrolysis a few years now so I'll try to help you out.

First, I made a thread here with a few details and photos of my setup.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=282366

Second, your questions:
That plug will turn your AC into 5v/2.5amp DC. It will also run very slow for larger items. Most guys using those are for tiny things like jewelry, coins, utensils, etc. Some of those charges may also have fault switches built in where they turn off if they detect a short. That's why I use a bench generator and it also let's me dial in the current I want.

The alligator clips won't change the turnout of your process. Just make sure you get something that makes good contact with your metals in the water. I buy some heavier duty ones (in my link) from home depot.

As far as 'toxic', this process should be done where you have good ventilation. The process does produce mild gases and you would leave the garage door open or at least run wires outside (like my images) and leave your tank outdoors.

As far as brine, I use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Only because the guide I followed used it when I first started. You make the brine because it helps the current flow through the water between your metals. The amount, I just use what looks good. I used to measure it, but now I don't. In my link you'll see my bucket, I throw about a cup into warm water, stir until dissolved, then drop my piece in and turn it all on. If I use a larger container I'll throw more in. While I'm moving it I just make sure the water gets nice and cloudy and it's all dissolved to know I have enough.

Anymore questions let me know. I can grab more photo examples if you need anything.

First, thanks for a great answer and link! The only real question I have left is about the alligator clips. I'm going to do mostly small things so was going to submerge the clips too. Are any clips made with stainless steel, because I don't want to inadvertently make a dangerous by-product during the process.

First, thanks for a great answer and link! The only real question I have left is about the alligator clips. I'm going to do mostly small things so was going to submerge the clips too. Are any clips made with stainless steel, because I don't want to inadvertently make a dangerous by-product during the process.

I think mine are plated. But I run mine in the water all the time, they'll rot during the process which is why I make my own leads and just put new clips on each time. You could also keep them above the water line and just rotate your item around to make everything equal.

I would check the voltage at the end of adapter with a meter to see if it is ac or dc. Some power transformers step down the voltage but it’s still ac. Yours doesn’t say dc so I would check to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom