• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Difference between Nox 600 vs. 800?

I want a machine to take out in the woods, parks etc AND take to the beach when I go. I live 30min from the ocean and I think I would go more often IF I had a machine to take in the wet sand and water. The one thing I would like to find more of is gold chains. I know they aren't easy to find but is one of these machines much better than the other for this? Thanks

Gold chains are tough to find with any machine.Lots of iron signals need to be dug,or borderline iron signals..As for the 600 vs the 800,is it really worth the cost to find that one thin thin chain you might with a 800 vs a 600? Economically I don’t think so,the cost won’t meet the reward imo.The open market is saturated with new 600s and the 800s are getting there too.If used isn’t a big deal to you then it’s a buyers market for the nox or any machine right now,just wait for them to come up.Wait a month or 2 when somthing new comes out and you’ll have even more deals to pick through,or a better machine new will probably be released from Another company.

Last edited:
800 unit has prospecting modes.
These modes deeper than park or field modes.
600 unit does not have.

The field, park and beach detect modes are identical on both 800 and 600 models (multifreq selected).

800 unit allows for single fre ops of 20 kHz and 40 kHz where 600 does not offer.

Coin hunters will find 800 unit more enjoyable due to having more ways to configure detector tonally per target of interest.

Backlight on 600 is either on or off. Reports suggests it is too bright (non adjustable).

600 unit will get no wireless headphones.

800 u it gives you wireless headphones and a wireless headphone model.
IMO EQX 800 actually better value when all is weighed as far as package and settings/modes capabilities go.

You also get a user profile option with 800 unit.

Better select target recognition based on tone using 800 vs the 600 model.

Prospecting modes on 800 unit are not only good for gold. They are good for depth plus they actually give the best separation/unmasking performance in heavy iron and nails. Will take a user some time to get accustomed to. Trust me, this is no BS.

Can I hunt behind a fellow Nox runner using field or parkmdetect modes in a polluted site using my Nox and Propsecting modes and make finds behind them?
Yes. How do I know this?
Because I have done hunting behind myself. And on a large portion of the finds located with prospecting modes, I have actually done head to head on these ( undisturbed) and sure enough prospecting modes signal either easier to acquire. Easier to hear, or allowed somewhat faster and or more coil slop to acquire signal.

A person can cross check signals too comparing the field, park modes to suspicious signals located using prospecting modes.

You want to be all you can be the EQX 800 better choice. And NO I don’t work for Minelab. Just a user of their Equipment.

Cheers.
Very good post TNSS, appreciate the input. Learned a few things.

I appreciate the input here, but it seems the question has not been answered or clarified...

Here's my understanding...

The 600 lacks 20 and 40khz period. Doesn't exist in single or multi.

The 800 has 20 and 40khz in gold mode for certain, and single mode for certain.

Here's where it all gets messy in 2 separate areas - multi frequency and modes.

1. The question is - does the 800 use 20 and 40 during multi frequency?

2. If so, in which modes?

That said, if the answer to question 1 is NO, then question 2 is irrelevant and the article is correct and the image is wrong. If the answer is yes, then the Minelab article is wrong (the image is then correct).

However, which modes is still a question. The other image from the manual does not indicate the frequency range of the mode, only the OPTIONS of frequency choices in a given mode. One of which is MULTI, but Multi is defined by the images as being 5,10,15 on the 600 and 5,10,15,20,40 on the 800 and the Minelab article saying they are both equal is wrong.

Can't have both situations.

I appreciate the input here, but it seems the question has not been answered or clarified...

Here's my understanding...

The 600 lacks 20 and 40khz period. Doesn't exist in single or multi.

The 800 has 20 and 40khz in gold mode for certain, and single mode for certain.

Here's where it all gets messy in 2 separate areas - multi frequency and modes.

1. The question is - does the 800 use 20 and 40 during multi frequency?

2. If so, in which modes?

That said, if the answer to question 1 is NO, then question 2 is irrelevant and the article is correct and the image is wrong. If the answer is yes, then the Minelab article is wrong (the image is then correct).

However, which modes is still a question. The other image from the manual does not indicate the frequency range of the mode, only the OPTIONS of frequency choices in a given mode. One of which is MULTI, but Multi is defined by the images as being 5,10,15 on the 600 and 5,10,15,20,40 on the 800 and the Minelab article saying they are both equal is wrong.

Can't have both situations.

I have verified with Minelab that BOTH the 600 and 800 use 20 and 40 kHz in Multi mode. The 600 does not allow you to use 20 or 40 kHz as single frequencies.

Question #1: BOTH the 600 and 800 use 20 and 40 kHz in Multi mode.

Question #2: The 600 does not allow you to use 20 or 40 kHz as a single frequency, and the 600 does not have the Gold mode at all.

The 600 is obviously limited in other ways... Recovery speed selection, backlight options, not as many user profiles, etc.

In factory default Park 1 & 2, Field 1 & 2, and Beach 1 & 2 both are identical.

-Joe

I got the 600 because I dont need prospecting mode. I hunt for coins mostly, the other features that the 600 does not have are minor and did not apply to my hunting profile.
I am very happy with the 600.

As many have said the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 Park, Field and Beach modes use the exact same transmit and receive frequencies. If you are not going to regularly do gold nugget prospecting the 600 will do well on any jewelry you want to find. By the way, I have detected very small sub .5 gram gold nuggets with my 800 AND 600 in Park 2 and Field 2 both in testing and in the field. Small gold chains should be just as detectable with the 600 as with the 800.

Jeff

I own both the EQ600 and EQ800 and in my opinion for the small extra price, the 800 is a better value. Just being able to adjust the tone pitch, tone volume and parameters makes the decision a no brainer for me.

For selective digging.
Nickels especially in junkier sites - EQX 800 has advantage big time.

Relics and coins in older sites with loads of iron.
EQX 800 has advantage due to prospecting modes.

For selective digging of higher conductive coins.
EQX 800 has advantage.

Come with 2 ways to have headphones paired, so user a backup means in case of headphone malfunction or dead battery.

User profile on EQX 800 offers quick change between some settings/modes on the fly.

EQX 800 is a more total coin and relic package.

Users of Eqx 800 can do a silent search while keeping bins open for tone on their targets of interest ID wise. This works spectular in trash sites.

For salt water and salt water beach EQX 600 and 800 performance wise perform equal other than EQx having user profile to transition between say beach modes and settings.

Folks will find out quick if trying to use 600 unit with wired headphones connected to unit is a pain in the arse. I have actually done with 800 unit.

It is your dough though spend as you like.

Just don’t say I didn’t tell you so.

If the EQX you are going to buy will be your only VLF detector in your possession, I recommend 800 model if it fits your budget.

If it ever stops raining here I may do a video showing how a EQX 800 can be made to sound vs how EQX600 will sound. When sweeping a mix of good targets nickels and say dimes in and around mixed in junk.

Last edited:
I have verified with Minelab that BOTH the 600 and 800 use 20 and 40 kHz in Multi mode. The 600 does not allow you to use 20 or 40 kHz as single frequencies.

Question #1: BOTH the 600 and 800 use 20 and 40 kHz in Multi mode.

Question #2: The 600 does not allow you to use 20 or 40 kHz as a single frequency, and the 600 does not have the Gold mode at all.

The 600 is obviously limited in other ways... Recovery speed selection, backlight options, not as many user profiles, etc.

In factory default Park 1 & 2, Field 1 & 2, and Beach 1 & 2 both are identical.

-Joe

Thanks.

Who verified this? Sales people or engineers?

Back
Top Bottom