• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

It's discoveries like this that really hurt my heart.

HoboFett

Here are the highlights.... and lowlights (is that a word? It should be) of my most recent trip.. I post videos rather than photos because I'm a video producer and that's my forte. For those uninterested or too busy for the video: I went metal detecting at an area on Padre Island called Newport Pass. I was having a hard time of it, only finding a few pennies. Then I found the worst example of litter I have every seen on my island. Even the massive spring break crowds don't leave messes his extraordinary. I was only able to pick up a small fraction of the mess, but even then I ended up removing 125 cans and 13 glass bottle from the sand. It really hurts my heart seeing this kind of complete disregard for both nature and your fellow human.

Great work! Yeah, People are really something alright...Its Good to see a lot of beach drinking going on though, thats when things get lost the most...

On another note, up here in Michigan, theres a Statewide bounty (deposit) on cans and bottles at 10c per, so a guy can make some REAL money simply following the littering drunken beach hoards!...Its way much easier to pick up one empty can than dig for a dime or scoop 10 rotten pennies, plus, sometimes you even find full ones!..

So yeah, while I consider myself a metal detectorist, out looking for gold, I'm not at all a purist...Cans put gas in the tank! I'll even dig through the dumpsters right there at the beach for a bag of 'dimes'! Ones mans trash is MY treasure!

Theres a whole dedicated group of specifically Can hunters up here...I call them 'The Cannies' and have wrote some posts about them..In many ways the Cannies are similar to us, they go out everyday and hunt for metal...Then, also similar, they take them right to the beer store and instantly redeem them for full ones!

To put this into Monetary perspective...One old Cannie I interviewed, said he found and redeemed over 16,000 cans in 2017! Just with his bicycle in a little 5 mile radius...Thats $1600! Thats like finding 1.21 OZ of 24k Gold!! Thats like finding 106 Silver Dollars! 266 Walker Halfs! And He doesnt even have a detector!

So for me to find a mess of 125 cans in one shot worth $12.50 in Michigan Dollars would be a monumental and noteworthy thing to post about! Thats like finding a Full 15 pack of Bud Light Lime! Or 2 Walker Halfs! Or a six pack of Natty ice and a HotNReady pizza! :laughing: If I could do this everyday I'd quit my job!

Dont get me started on the abandoned towels...There's big money there too! For a nice plush fresh off the beach towel? I get $3 ea at the garage sale! Every towel is like finding a silver Q! Hell yeah I'm gonna pick it up and bring it home!

Its all in perspective..that $2 you got in scrap aluminum is like finding a Merc Dime and a War Nickle! And thats a GREAT beach hunt in anybodies book!:laughing:

Attachments

• cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Great work! Yeah, People are really something alright...Its Good to see a lot of beach drinking going on though, thats when things get lost the most...

On another note, up here in Michigan, theres a Statewide bounty (deposit) on cans and bottles at 10c per, so a guy can make some REAL money simply following the littering drunken beach hoards!...Its way much easier to pick up one empty can than dig for a dime or scoop 10 rotten pennies, plus, sometimes you even find full ones!..

So yeah, while I consider myself a metal detectorist, out looking for gold, I'm not at all a purist...Cans put gas in the tank! I'll even dig through the dumpsters right there at the beach for a bag of 'dimes'! Ones mans trash is MY treasure!

Theres a whole dedicated group of specifically Can hunters up here...I call them 'The Cannies' and have wrote some posts about them..In many ways the Cannies are similar to us, they go out everyday and hunt for metal...Then, also similar, they take them right to the beer store and instantly redeem them for full ones!

To put this into Monetary perspective...One old Cannie I interviewed, said he found and redeemed over 16,000 cans in 2017! Just with his bicycle in a little 5 mile radius...Thats $1600! Thats like finding 1.21 OZ of 24k Gold!! Thats like finding 106 Silver Dollars! 266 Walker Halfs! And He doesnt even have a detector!

So for me to find a mess of 125 cans in one shot worth $12.50 in Michigan Dollars would be a monumental and noteworthy thing to post about! Thats like finding a Full 15 pack of Bud Light Lime! Or 2 Walker Halfs! Or a six pack of Natty ice and a HotNReady pizza! :laughing: If I could do this everyday I'd quit my job!

Dont get me started on the abandoned towels...There's big money there too! For a nice plush fresh off the beach towel? I get $3 ea at the garage sale! Every towel is like finding a silver Q! Hell yeah I'm gonna pick it up and bring it home!

Its all in perspective..that $2 you got in scrap aluminum is like finding a Merc Dime and a War Nickle! And thats a GREAT beach hunt in anybodies book!:laughing:
$1600 ? That's 160,000 Zincolns…...I wish the deposit in Connecticut was 10 cents instead of the stinkin' nickel but I pick them up anyway. The money goes into my "corner the silver market" fund.:money:

I wish we had a deposit on cans down here. Lol. All I can get is the value of the aluminum as scrap, which here is about 1.7 cents per 12 ounce can. At ten cents a can, this video would have had a considerably more positive tone. Hahaha!

One thing about metal detecting is seeing what trashy pigs humans can be. Thank you for cleaning up after them.

On my favorite local beach I dig so much trash that the local beach patrol swing by to see what I need to unload into their trash buckets. Except for one as he acts offended that I want him to take the trash. Cant say people are animals as animals do not trash their nests.

Here are the highlights.... and lowlights (is that a word? It should be) of my most recent trip.. I post videos rather than photos because I'm a video producer and that's my forte. For those uninterested or too busy for the video: I went metal detecting at an area on Padre Island called Newport Pass. I was having a hard time of it, only finding a few pennies. Then I found the worst example of litter I have every seen on my island. Even the massive spring break crowds don't leave messes his extraordinary. I was only able to pick up a small fraction of the mess, but even then I ended up removing 125 cans and 13 glass bottle from the sand. It really hurts my heart seeing this kind of complete disregard for both nature and your fellow human.

I agree I hate litterbugs. It's a complete disrespect for the area. People that litter just don't care. What would be great is getting the garbage someone dumps if you see them, follow them and dump it on their vehicle or their house.

Good on you for cleaning up. I experience the same fury when I'm wandering parks or the woods to find where people have just dumped piles of stuff. And every aluminum can that fools me to thinking I've got a good target started out as someone's inconsiderate litter.

It looks like the beaches here in the Philippines. You just can not detect on them because of so much trash. People have a family picnic and just leave it lay on the beach when finished. It makes me sick to see it. Glad I live in America most of the time.. KEN. :D

Back
Top Bottom