• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Scouting for Silver

skelly

I was hunting a bygone boy scout camp last week when I dug the ultimate scout accomplishment, an Eagle Scout medal. The scout camp operated from 1930 to 1960 and is now a county recreation park. I found several other, more common, scout pins and some old coinage but then I got a pretty good hit on my DFX and was surprised to dig the scroll part of the scout badge. I swung my detector again and about a foot away got a similar hit. This time I dug the eagle! Wow! I was a boy scout and know how special the Eagle Scout award is. This one is made of sterling silver and cleaned up nicely but the red, white and blue ribbon was long gone. I learned that this style of eagle medal was used by the BSA from 1955 to 1969, right in the time frame the camp was in operation. I only wish that the scout would have engraved his name on the back of the medal. It would have been an honor to return it to its owner.

picture.php

Congratulations on the BSA find, it's awesome! There were some old scout camps around here as well but I haven't been able to get permission yet from the new land owners. This might help getting that permission. Thanks for sharing!

I new it was special when you first showed it to me after digging it. Congrats on a very special find.

congrats! That is an outstanding find. Some young man worked very hard for that pin. I'm sure he was extremely disappointed when he lost it.

VERY NICE!
This summer I found a God and Country medal and an Order of the Arrow medal as well. I had earned both of these as a Scout (although there was no OotA medals awarded at that time) but even though I earned 42 Merit Badges, I lacked one of the required Merit Badges to make Eagle. I discovered GIRLS and never looked back. While I have always appreciated the new facet of my life, I have always regretted not accomplishing that one goal. I'm sure that young man regrets losing that pin. Hopefully he got another one.

Nice find.

VERY NICE!
This summer I found a God and Country medal and an Order of the Arrow medal as well. I had earned both of these as a Scout (although there was no OotA medals awarded at that time) but even though I earned 42 Merit Badges, I lacked one of the required Merit Badges to make Eagle. I discovered GIRLS and never looked back. While I have always appreciated the new facet of my life, I have always regretted not accomplishing that one goal. I'm sure that young man regrets losing that pin. Hopefully he got another one.

Nice find.

I was also in the Order of the Arrow! I did make Eagle scout though it was alot of work it was well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom