My first holed coin

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I ,haven’t posted a lot cause I haven’t been out much. I been working but the last week I’ve been getting out on night hunts across the road from my house at a old church yard I’ve hunted for years..little history,usto be a girls rectory there in the late 1700s,and another old Catholic Church before that was tore down and a new one built..
But I got a few silvers this week, taking the Legend with the 6 inch coil out..The holed dime was deep,about 8 to 10 inches,,bouncing from 40s to 50s and giving that really high tone in between..I dug a shovel full and it was still in the hole. Took another big shovel full and out it came.. 1836 dime from what I can tell,it’s wore but the date is somewhat visible.Dug a few more targets and called it a night,pretty excited about the coin..thanks for looking

Attachments

• CD46C01A-E6E5-427A-8FD2-4E09C6576C36.jpg
    CD46C01A-E6E5-427A-8FD2-4E09C6576C36.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 448
  • 21ACFE15-8F5A-4FD4-BFE3-53FB54EA4EB1.jpg
    21ACFE15-8F5A-4FD4-BFE3-53FB54EA4EB1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 02A47EAC-7A60-4BBD-A1CA-29330CCE516A.jpg
    02A47EAC-7A60-4BBD-A1CA-29330CCE516A.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 448
  • 5AD709C6-60F0-4310-A9C5-ED1A4047ED69.jpg
    5AD709C6-60F0-4310-A9C5-ED1A4047ED69.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 440
Way to go! Only one i ever found was a toasted Walker with a hole in it. Was guessing it used to be on a car key ring? Could barely tell it was Walker half.

Way to go! Only one i ever found was a toasted Walker with a hole in it. Was guessing it used to be on a car key ring? Could barely tell it was Walker half.
Thanks itsaring,I’ve wanted to find a holed coin for so long I really have up,never could have imagined it would be tonight.
Nice find!! Evidently that legend can go deep!!

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Thanks Semtav,,it is exceptionally deep with that little coil..

Nice dime! Congrats!

The Legend seems to be working out very well.

Thanks Jim,,I’ll say this, the Legend has been a eye opener in real world hunting..I tried to take a infield shot but no lighting where I was and the pinpointer was all I had for light.

I used the 11" coil on the Legend for a while before getting the 6". When I put on the 6", I laughed because it seemed so comically small. It was like a "clown" coil lol

I then brought it out to my test garden, and that's where the laughing ended. The depth of that coil is almost unbelievable. I now rarely ever use the 11" coil, but I'm anxiously awaiting the 9x5 coil.

I used the 11" coil on the Legend for a while before getting the 6". When I put on the 6", I laughed because it seemed so comically small. It was like a "clown" coil lol

I then brought it out to my test garden, and that's where the laughing ended. The depth of that coil is almost unbelievable. I now rarely ever use the 11" coil, but I'm anxiously awaiting the 9x5 coil.
Small coils work great inland hunting. If you beach hunt you hunt behind guys/gals using 15 to 18" coils and wind up digging 20 holes to their 100:wow: I tried 6" coils on the Nox and CTX beach hunting and never covered the cost of shipping the coil:lol:

Itsaring,

Yes, large coils have their place, and very trashy inland sites aren't one of them :)

Wow Pete thats sweet save there. Congrats on your first holed silver. A holed silver and a Capped Bust is still on my list. It looks like the Legend is treating you well. Good luck. Mark

Nice find even with the hole. I've dug only one coin with a hole in it and that was an 1864 two cent piece. The hole was square so it must have been made with a square nail.

Excellent recovery! Unfortunately, not much chance of finding a holed coin in my neck of the woods so I'm left to live vicariously through those of you East of the Mississippi:yes:

A very nice holed coin! Royal Congrats! KT's only holed coin was a Buffalo Nickel, found in a totlot at an elementary school. KT later decided it must have been on a charm bracelet as it was found under one of those jungle gym type of setups. The holed buffalo had no date, so it was likely drilled and used as a charm due to the wear on it. It might have been off a necklace tho, as no other charms were ever found at that location.

Back
Top Bottom