Best shovel length

BC Buck

Need shovel when not able to dig with hand digger. Im 6' and think any under 30" would be tough to dig with. The barracuda is 38" and I think would drag the ground while walking. Looking for something that would be discreet.What do you guys use?

I use a folding Army-issue entrenching tool. Packs easily, inexpensive surplus item, and rock solid.

Need shovel when not able to dig with hand digger. Im 6' and think any under 30" would be tough to dig with. The barracuda is 38" and I think would drag the ground while walking. Looking for something that would be discreet.What do you guys use?

5962048aa2b4229149fa157203307edf.jpg

32” TSC special, easy to sink with a boot, digs a perfect 8-10” plug at max which is perfect for my machine, I’m 6’ and it’s light to carry but long enough I don’t have to work hunched over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'1" and use an 18" Sampson even though I have a 31" as well. The way I carry it, it isn't really noticable and doesn't get in the way. I have never had anyone (Park workers included) say anything about it. I don't find it that had to dig with since you have to get down to retreive any find anyway. I'm also 73 and have gotten to the point where i don't carry anything more than I have to. Most of the time I don't even carry a shovel.
Mini 18.jpg

Digging Shovel

I use a trenching shovel from Lowe's. It reduces bending and working on your knees. The angle of it also helps with digging and lifting plugs from the ground and it's under $30...…..

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,173
I'm 6'1" and use an 18" Sampson even though I have a 31" as well. The way I carry it, it isn't really noticable and doesn't get in the way. I have never had anyone (Park workers included) say anything about it. I don't find it that had to dig with since you have to get down to retreive any find anyway. I'm also 73 and have gotten to the point where i don't carry anything more than I have to. Most of the time I don't even carry a shovel.
View attachment 446185

Is that a home brew belt clip for your shovel? You need to post some picks of your setup. Looks pretty stealthy Silversmith45.

I'm 6`4" and use a 31" Sampson T handle but only because something longer would be too hard to carry around. It's better than using a trowel all the time but I have to stoop more than I like. If I thought I could carry it in the brush something 40" or longer would be better for my back.

Is that a home brew belt clip for your shovel? You need to post some picks of your setup. Looks pretty stealthy Silversmith45.

Thats a holder for my Sampson that I made from a couple of 'L' brackets and a piece of scrap leather. I bent them to a 'U' shape and bolted them onto a piece of folded leather. I doubt if I have a dollar in the setup. It will fit either my 18" or my 31" Sampsons. I carry them with the handle down so they don't swing while I walk and I have never had any problems carrying them that way. They are less noticable too. I have talked to park officals while wearing them and they have never said anything about them. I don't believe most people even realize they are there.
H1.jpg

Whatever shovel length it takes for you to stand up straight when digging a target. The only time I bend over is to pick up the target. Saves on back and knee muscles.

Of course I'm commenting from a relic hunting perspective, shovels in parks or curb strips will get you into a heap of trouble pronto.

Thats a holder for my Sampson that I made from a couple of 'L' brackets and a piece of scrap leather. I bent them to a 'U' shape and bolted them onto a piece of folded leather. I doubt if I have a dollar in the setup. It will fit either my 18" or my 31" Sampsons. I carry them with the handle down so they don't swing while I walk and I have never had any problems carrying them that way. They are less noticable too. I have talked to park officals while wearing them and they have never said anything about them. I don't believe most people even realize they are there.
View attachment 446218

Excellent...

Sampson works really well. Great tool. I carry it in my non swinging Hand. No need to hang it.

I use a trenching shovel from Lowe's. It reduces bending and working on your knees. The angle of it also helps with digging and lifting plugs from the ground and it's under $30...…..

I have one, I shortened the handle to a total over all length of 32", works fine, but I generally don't use it, my go to shovel is the 27" predator.

+1 for a 27.5" Predator Tools shovel. I am 6'1". Pretty stealth as OP requested. I have the Model 58S Little Eagle and I love it (narrow serrated blade). There is also a newer shovel this length with a wider blade, so less plunges to pop a wide plug. That one is the Model 59 The General (wide, non serrated blade).

I made a pvc holster like the one in the below video and it works excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSX-6jRmb8w

P.S. I did have a yellow fiberglass shafted cheapie like shown in an above post for the first year and it did just fine most places I went.

Last edited:
Rootslayer nomad is my go to shovel when not in a public or sensitive area. Areas that require more stealth I go with a 30” Sampson.In Public parks I just use the Lesche.

Rootslayer nomad is my go to shovel when not in a public or sensitive area. Areas that require more stealth I go with a 30” Sampson.In Public parks I just use the Lesche.

+1

Rootslayer Nomad here too. Love it. I carry it handle down. Makes quick work of plugs, wish I could use it everywhere. Now thinking maybe I should get a stealth shovel.

Back
Top Bottom