Minelab vanquish 340!

metaladdict

Elite Member
What a detector! For only $200! And it works in saltwater! Are you kidding me! Sweet! If I was starting out I would probably never need an upgrade!:shock:

So you getting one? I’ll buy your Sov for $100 to help! :lol:

The Nox is a dream for me on the salt water, even in the fresh (even if I was too busy remodeling my home to take it out to the lakes last summer - next summer I will!)

Can’t hurt to have another machine in the arsenal though!

What a detector! For only $200! And it works in saltwater! Are you kidding me! Sweet! If I was starting out I would probably never need an upgrade!:shock:

I'm thinking of a Vanquish this spring. So you would be happy with the 340? Per a comparison I saw on Minelab site your getting the 10 inch coil and no blue tooth ready with a 340. Per my crappy memory.
The 540 has a 12" coil and blue tooth .
I'd love to be able to check depth on a 10" coil Vanquish vs the 12". From what all I know the 12" should give another 2" deeper . Then test against my 705 w 10" coil single frequency .
But that 540 pro pack is looking like a real killer set. All in all we'd probably be fine with the 340 and not spending more $. one thing for sure,,,There's going to be alot of talking here on the V in 2020.

I have the 540 propack and I'm really impressed so far. The 8" coil is a nice bonus. The Bluetooth headphones are the same as the ones that come with equinox.
So for the extra money you do get nice headphones and an extra coil..

Aside from personal preference features I don't think there will be much difference between them.
I was looking at the 540 but I heard a few that own them say it's noseheavy..i think the 440 would be the better pick for those who don't need the backlight or wireless, and it has a perfect sized coil.
The 440 only has high iron bias vs the 540 that has high and low..the video I saw low iron bias hits hard on large iron, and high bias don't. So I'd always run high anyway.
Looks like a good machine though, beginner or seasoned user.

I have the 540 propack and I'm really impressed so far. The 8" coil is a nice bonus. The Bluetooth headphones are the same as the ones that come with equinox.
So for the extra money you do get nice headphones and an extra coil..

What kind of ground balance does Vanquish have? Fixed?

Simultaneous multi frequencies would be what most interested me the most. At the entry level price That's pretty remarkable, IMHO. I've just spent the last five yrs switching coils to change not just size but frequency. For people unfamiliar with this , Higher frequency hits harder on small targets but also sounds off better on gold and also low conductors like iron. Higher frequency coils are used or the preferred kHz for gold prospecting. They just hit a little harder on mid and lower conductors.
Low frequency coils are said to hit better on large targets but because they hit/sound off a little harder on high conductors they make good choices for silver and copper hunting. My best coin killer is only 6" and 3 khz , a low frequency coil. Hits nice on silver. Changing coils isn't my big fun. My coils are a 6 inch 3 kHz , 10.5 inch 7.5 kHz and 5x10" 18.75 kHz. So running a vanquish is like me running all my coils at once. So I'm hunting coins and jewelry all at once. All my coils will hit on coins or jewelry but they sound a bit purer and VDI a little better/stabler if matched with the type of hunting I'm doing. It just gives you a little more advantage.
So. I like the multi frequency aspect of these new V's.

I've used the 705 and loved it but it's not on par with what they're making today... I'm using the 540 as we speak. It is much nicer than a 705 It swings good It collapses really good got a nice screen very simple to use there is no ground balance but I believe it said it was set at 0 which is the same as the nox 800 preset and that always works really good I rarely had to balance the equinox

I've used the 705 and loved it but it's not on par with what they're making today... I'm using the 540 as we speak. It is much nicer than a 705 It swings good It collapses really good got a nice screen very simple to use there is no ground balance but I believe it said it was set at 0 which is the same as the nox 800 preset and that always works really good I rarely had to balance the equinox

Thanks Basstrackerman. That sounds good. It sounds like the ground balance set at 0 means it auto tracks it. Or auto sets it when its turned on. I'll have to look that up. Sounds great though.

So you getting one? I’ll buy your Sov for $100 to help! :lol:

The Nox is a dream for me on the salt water, even in the fresh (even if I was too busy remodeling my home to take it out to the lakes last summer - next summer I will!)

Can’t hurt to have another machine in the arsenal though!

I'm not buying anything but the 340 sounds like an awesome beginner tector!:yes:

I would rather buy a used 600. The iron bias setting is the most crucial setting in my opinion. Not being able to control it would be quite a set back.

tinsmith said:
What kind of ground balance does Vanquish have? Fixed?
A very good question and one that I have had since they first started promoting the Vanquish. Ground Balance adjustment, in both a Threshold-based All Metal mode and a motion-based Discriminate mode can be very important.

Basstrackerman said:
Yes just like the equinox on zero. Multi IQ tends to deal with ground minerals pretty well by itself. I've read that a few times.
Interesting, but that doesn't answer the question. Just what does '0' mean? Some models have a default turn-on with the GB set at a numeric reference of '83' or '90' but have either automated GB adjustment and/or manual GB adjustment. What IS the Equinox or Vanquish GB setting? Can the Equinox GB be adjusted? Is it a fixed GB, and if so, is it set too high in the motion Discriminate function such that it might impair performance? That is a problem with some makes and models of the past and some produced even today.

Okay, so you've read that "Multi-IQ tends to deal with ground minerals pretty well itself." So, how does Multi IQ do that? You might have read it in a Forum Post or somewhere, but can anyone read it and point it out in any official Minelab description of performance and Ground Balance function?

How about the Equinox users who can select a single operating frequency. There's no 'Multi IQ' at work then, so what's up with the Ground Balance?

It's one of those topics that I often wonder about with regard to Minelab where new terminology is introduced, but common questions often go unanswered, such as GB settings or adjustments.

Inquiring minds want to know ....

Monte

A very good question and one that I have had since they first started promoting the Vanquish. Ground Balance adjustment, in both a Threshold-based All Metal mode and a motion-based Discriminate mode can be very important.

Interesting, but that doesn't answer the question. Just what does '0' mean? Some models have a default turn-on with the GB set at a numeric reference of '83' or '90' but have either automated GB adjustment and/or manual GB adjustment. What IS the Equinox or Vanquish GB setting? Can the Equinox GB be adjusted? Is it a fixed GB, and if so, is it set too high in the motion Discriminate function such that it might impair performance? That is a problem with some makes and models of the past and some produced even today.

Okay, so you've read that "Multi-IQ tends to deal with ground minerals pretty well itself." So, how does Multi IQ do that? You might have read it in a Forum Post or somewhere, but can anyone read it and point it out in any official Minelab description of performance and Ground Balance function?

How about the Equinox users who can select a single operating frequency. There's no 'Multi IQ' at work then, so what's up with the Ground Balance?

It's one of those topics that I often wonder about with regard to Minelab where new terminology is introduced, but common questions often go unanswered, such as GB settings or adjustments.

Inquiring minds want to know ....

Monte

Ground balance on the Equinox can be adjusted manually, automatically by pumping the coil, as well as auto tracking (recommended/default for gold mode). Many people, including people who have used other machines that need to be ground balanced, report no noticeable difference from leaving the ground balance on zero (during multi-freq mode).

The Nox manual clearly states (several times) that the default ground balance should be zero for the default search modes, and adjustments should only be necessary if there are noticeable issues with ground noise. In their descriptions of the different default search modes, they state that the modes account for ground balance/mineralization. For example:

Park 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighting of the multi-frequency signal, as well as using algorithms that maximize ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio.

In the Park/Field "1" modes, as well as both Beach 1&2, they state the algorithms "maximize ground balancing" for soil (Park and Field) or salt (Beach). In the Park/Field "2" modes, it stated a bit differently: "processes a higher frequency weighted multi-frequency signal while ground balancing for soil"

If I had to guess, I'd say achieving a ground balance is either a necessary part of combining different frequencies transmitting differently through the same soil, or is a consequence of it. That process looks a bit different when weighting higher frequencies due to their greater sensitivity to mineralization.

I'm pretty sure the Vanquish can only be operated in multi-frequency mode, so ground balancing is (mostly) being done by that technology.

Yes, if you run the Nox in a single frequency mode you should ground balance. I had to run in 15k the other day on a property due to extreme EMI. Fortunately, it was just hitting hard at 5k and 10k. At 15k it was silent with full sensitivity even with iron audio on.

Last edited:
Toysoldier exactly right. I've tested settings.. zero and pumping coil along with single frequency etc. Single frequency does need a good ground balance but multi does not for anywhere I've hunted. I see no difference at all.. now I'm down in southern Alabama so I will soon see how that plays out here..

Back
Top Bottom