Sign of the times?

..... I have admonished him and asked if this reprehensible behavior he exhibits is troubling to him, being a "Stain upon the reputation of the Sport" etc. and he told me 'No'.......

Well if the following statement is true:

....He simply remains unseen and unnoticed, ....

Then he's right: How can he be a "black eye to the hobby" if he's below anyone's radar of notice ?

Is that NO METAL DETECTORS IN THE PARK sign for real? I mean, really ... what bureaucrat in his right mind would use glue on individual letters to make a sign enforcing an official, legally passed, city wide ordinance when they could have spent some significant taxpayer money with his/her brother-in-law's sign making firm in return for an undisclosed, under the table, underhanded payoff? Just sayin':gettinmoney:

Is that NO METAL DETECTORS IN THE PARK sign for real? I mean, really ... what bureaucrat in his right mind would use glue on individual letters to make a sign enforcing an official, legally passed, city wide ordinance when they could have spent some significant taxpayer money with his/her brother-in-law's sign making firm in return for an undisclosed, under the table, underhanded payoff? Just sayin':gettinmoney:

Yeah real sign...I have my suspicions...I think the Head Park Maintenance guy is a detectorist on account of there was no easy fresh clad on the surface in likely areas...around the Concessions/bleachers, NOTHING...Plus, an old Cannie who came riding through in the dark on a bicycle checking for empties told me about the guy...said he will get very pist if he catches me, will tell me to get out of here...and that he shows up every morning at 7:30...:laughing:
Mud

All the schools in my area are fenced with locked gates. Yes they also have no trespassing signs.

Don't you know those signs are going to keep evil doers from harming the children. (Sarcasm in case you did not see it)

Finally, an update.

Got in contact with the school system, who referred me to the building & grounds director. Evidently the signs were posted because of some vandalism at one or more of the schools. I was told directly by said director that these schools are public and totally open for recreational use after hours and on weekends. Had no problem with anyone metal detecting. He did agree the signs are heavy-handed but it was to help deter any more vandalism.

Looks like it's open season again for 2017. :detector::detector:

Finally, an update.

Got in contact with the school system, who referred me to the building & grounds director. Evidently the signs were posted because of some vandalism at one or more of the schools. I was told directly by said director that these schools are public and totally open for recreational use after hours and on weekends. Had no problem with anyone metal detecting. He did agree the signs are heavy-handed but it was to help deter any more vandalism.

Looks like it's open season again for 2017. :detector::detector:

Well well well, a sign so "ominous" as that, doesn't necessarily preclude md'ing. And although it took someone to actually tell you that (because , of course, you were erring on the side of safety), I bet that the same conclusion would likewise apply , even if he hadn't specifically said that.

What I mean is, that if, as he says, those signs are to keep vandals at bay, (and obviously a man with a detector in the sandbox is "not a vandal") then I bet if you'd simply gone, the same facts would be in effect.

These are simply "obligatory" signs (so as to enforce if perverts or vandals were causing harm), and I do not always take to mean "no detecting" :p

Agree, Tom. I was in contact with them on a different subject so I while I was already there anyway, I asked the desk person about "those signs" and she directed me to the grounds guy. They were very laid back about it all and probably thought I was crazy for wanting to MD at all.

I had been MDing early weekend mornings anyway so none of it really mattered as I do as you do and go at off-times and stay inconspicuous like I always try to do. It was just the heavyhandedness of the signs that irked me. Looks like business as usual. :detector:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom