Epic six Barber day!!

MTJosh

Elite Member
Had time Sunday so drove back into the mountains to the logging camp I found the Barber quarter on Friday. Thought it may be worth the hard hike again.

Hike in detected parts of old road/trail. Stopped digging after 6th ox and 3rd horse shoe. Could have dug these all day long. Fun old relics. Was pulling old cartridge cases. 15 by end of the day. Old 45-60, colt 45, US 30, and other late 1800's to early 1900's. Even a couple old 2 ring bullets. Mostly like colt 45 type bullets.

At the logging camp scouted around. Found a printing plate. No idea why it was up there. Some period rivets and cartridge cases. Already went over area where I found quarter friday. Decided to try again. Hit it from different angles. Get a chirp high tone. Our pops a 1899 Barber dime. My first 1800's from AZ and only my second in the US. I then methodically went over this 20 foot area. Moved rocks so my coil would be level. Under one rock was a nail. Remove the nail. Then signal. At 1" was my second evern barber quarter. My persistance paid off. I spent next hour or two moving rocks and iron from the surfave in this one little area. I proceed to get another barber quarter and 3 barber dimes. 3 of the 6 from 1800's. The 1904 S dime is a key date too

Pretty much my best silver day ever. And all Barber. Just an insane day. With all the iron, most coins less than 2". Next time I am bringing a magent to remove iron. Then scrape hillside down an inch and scan for more targets. I think I could mine a few more coins from there. Odd all dimes and quarters. I have never found an indian head. Thought maybe an IHP would be hiding. Will gladly take silver any day. Maybe there is a gold coin hiding on the hill. I'm hoping to go back Sunday.

Attachments

• Barbers.jpg
    Barbers.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 626
  • barbers backs.jpg
    barbers backs.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 597
  • relics.jpg
    relics.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 603
  • shoes.jpg
    shoes.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 591
That is NUTS! Maybe that's where they gambled or a makeshift saloon was? There'd have to be a reason for the coin density in that small of an area...WHY would be interesting to know but you may never know. Hunt the living shitt out of that place! A gold coin would be a hell of a chaser after that Barber 6 pack!:grin:

Oh the Drooling Metal Detecting Humanity!! Oh yeah..gotta be a high chance for a gold coin! Congratulations Josh! Sounds like a peaceful place to hike into as well....

Regarding magnets...they make a stick with a flat hockey puck sized magnet on the end of it that construction guys use...it would sort of double as a walking cane, rock mover, iron picker upper...since its a long hike, and magnets are heavy, maybe this kind of thing may have multiple uses? Then leave it up there for the next time you go?

Great finds - they're in good shape, too. I've noticed some silver coin finds from AZ are discolored, but not these.

Amazing hunt! Congrats on the key date and other Barbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your hard work paid off, congrats!!

In California logging camps have been good sites for finding gold coins.

Back
Top Bottom