Great buttons and clips at Montana ghost town

MTJosh

Elite Member
After a beautiful hike seeing deer, elk and antelope with friends stopped by a ghost town site for an hour Saturday. Short hike in and cross the creek then turn on detector and have fun. I have been here before and so have others. One of my first target years ago was a ATH "diggers" token so they have even been there. But put the time in and dig odd signals and always something to find. Couple horseshoes. Then a couple headstamps, then nice Velvet Grip clip. And another. Been finding many of these this year in Montana and Arizona. Velvet Grip was popular out west. The clips have patent dates of 1895 & 1899. Then after digging another headstamp get a nice signal in same spot. I like when other pass up headstamps. Fun to find and never know what it may be hiding underneath. My first fire department button. Manufacturer out of Chicago was open 1883-1911. Another overall button from the area. Then wonderful eagle button. Info from back dates this from 1893-1902. Still some gilt on it. My second eagle button from this site. I was more than happy with these finds from pounded site. I'll go back again this summer.

Attachments

• finds 6-12.jpg
    finds 6-12.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 232
  • finds 6-12b.jpg
    finds 6-12b.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 250
  • finds 6-12 location.jpg
    finds 6-12 location.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 230
Man Josh, that is GREAT

I ran to find my wife and made her come to see what you found. In the 70's my work sent me to Oregon [from Missouri] for a few years & I went out in the mountains every few weekends to find ghost towns. It was great & you sure made me remember those days

Thanks everyone. So much fun finding old history.

I ran to find my wife and made her come to see what you found. In the 70's my work sent me to Oregon [from Missouri] for a few years & I went out in the mountains every few weekends to find ghost towns. It was great & you sure made me remember those days
Glad I could help with memories. Hope your next hunt is full of old items and memories. There are ghost towns all over. But also put in perspective in late 1800's places like Arizona only had 40,000 people while PA had 4 million. Not many old targets with so few people back then.

Congrats can’t wait to get to Montana later this summer. Great finds. That button is top notch.
Keep me updated when you are here. Will gladly get out on adventures with you.

Very nice and historic finds there Josh! Beautiful scenery, wildlife, and good targets, congrats!
Thanks David. You're welcome to join me at these old sites.

Back
Top Bottom