11 Gold coins and nuggets *updated* with clean up pics

Oh now I just hate you! :lol::laughing::D

Yeah Right?! :laughing: A lot of times, wealth is no respector of effort or intelligence! But in this guys case, he actually did the research and legwork to hit this California Staffordshire Taco Can Hoard...!! Grandfathered into the territory so to speak, Life long of wandering and remembering...put all the clues all together, got a rig and fired up coil.......In this light, a guy cant hate on him too much even though we all want to!...:laughing: Well found! Gives us all hope...

What ?? No coins older than 1700 ? The east coast guys are bored now. :laughing:

So the NEWEST coin was mid 1850s. That was a sort of "peak" of the gold rush date-era. This is going to go down as one of the legendary finds of the forum.

My luck has been on the upswing ever since I dumped my F75 and picked up a Deus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to sell them or keep them? If it was a life changing amount of money I would probably sell but it is hard to part with finds like that. If you sell they will just be random coins floating around for collectors and no one will know the history but money is good too.

Are you going to sell them or keep them? If it was a life changing amount of money I would probably sell but it is hard to part with finds like that. If you sell they will just be random coins floating around for collectors and no one will know the history but money is good too.

I have no plans of selling them. I generally don’t sell my finds. I sold a wreath buckle early on and regret it now. I figure one day my grandkids(not yet born) can see the coins Grandpa found.

I have no plans of selling them. I generally don’t sell my finds. I sold a wreath buckle early on and regret it now. I figure one day my grandkids(not yet born) can see the coins Grandpa found.

I also think of stuff as insurance. Keep your finds and enjoy but you can sell or trade them in an emergency. Unless you really need the money a few hundred or even thousand dollars doesn't make much difference.

freakin' amazing. A purse ! (or "cache" or whatever one wants to call it). And for the crowning glory, you go back to the site and find a few straggler gold coins separately. Sheesk. This is the hole in one / Holy Grail of all md'ing. Other md'rs will now call you "sir". And you can autograph other's detectors.

Looking back at your post history, I see you are from CA. This confirms our suspicions that they were found out west . (Who needs those pesky LC's, colonial coppers, and busts from back east anyhow ? :laughing: )

As for the nuggets in with the coins: Have you watched Ron (Rocklin CA) videos ? ("California Relic Adventures" @ youtube). He had a find, before he started making live video captures, from about 15+ yrs. ago, in the Folsom/Auburn, CA area: So although it's not on a video, I'm sure you can find a post or pix of it: He got a signal at the base of a rock/boulder outcropping. He found about a dozen coins, that had apparently , at one time, been a leather or cloth purse (there was a metal clasp of the purse left, if I recall). They were all gold rush era seateds, and a single gold coin (a $5, if I recall). And, like your story, he noticed what appeared to be gold nuggets. He collected all the dirt, and went through the tailing with a nugget detector. And got a bunch of nuggets to go with the coins. A miner who had his purse of both nuggets and coins.

I'm ~3+ hrs. from the Sierra foothills. So I don't get over that way very often for relic hunting. But whenever I have (Snelling to Mariposa corridor) it's always been TOUGH work. There is indescribable amounts of iron and slag around all the gold rush tent-city and stage stop and cellar holes type spots. And coins are very difficult to pull. Much less gold coins. And MUCH LESS GOLD COIN CACHES. Big hats off to you !
Go north of I80 from Truckee towards Graeagle on 89. Lots of good looking pull outs up there.

11 gold coins + nuggets!!!

:holycow:Congratulations! It's stuff like this that keeps the hobby alive! :worms:

The stuff is out there folks. Might not be exactly in this form but there is lots of goodies yet to be found...lots of it! I will not be surprised to see more stories such as this one show up from time to time. Newer technology and lots of persistence will help the hunter a lot.

Luck plays a part too...but we won't get lucky just sitting around! :mder:

Go get em!!!
:digginahole:

:shock::shock:What a GREAT FIND! Congrats from Middle Tennessee! If I found that I would have to sell them to pay for my Cardiologist bills. ;)

Wow man, every time I spend 15 minutes digging up a complete can of nothing I keep hoping for something like this to be inside... so cool!!!

Wow man, every time I spend 15 minutes digging up a complete can of nothing I keep hoping for something like this to be inside... so cool!!!

I almost didn’t dig the can. My Deus told me the coin was there along with the can. So, I dug the busted signal. When I found the first coin I assumed like an idiot the can was just trash in the hole. Luckily, I always check and recheck areas finds have occurred at. My buddy and I call steal can pieces sh*t metal cause they sound like coins at certain angles. We dig them everytime just in case. I guess my point is never give up on a can dig. One day it will be a huge score.

Back
Top Bottom