Post Thanksgiving alone time results in silvers 39,40,41 YTD

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
After a whirlwind few days of socializing I got out this morning. Due to an incoming cold front, the forecast stated the warmest hours of the day would be between 8 am and noon. The wind and that incoming cold front made it feel much colder than the high 40s.

Anyway, I got started with the AT Pro and a big NEL Thunder coil to briskly grid a few areas I've already detected on this property. The strategy was to stay committed to the grid, cover a lot of ground, and just listen for obvious good signals I might have missed. Not speed swinging, but not stopping to tease iffy signals out either. Sure enough, I found a few a few older clad coins, including two quarters. It's a good reminder and motivation to remember the property isn't hunted out.

I switch to the Equinox and set off to dig pull tabs. (Why? See this thread: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=278307 )

I dug about 100 beaver tail pull tabs. Along the way I heard a good, deep nickel signal and dug the Buffalo in the photo. The three silver coins in the photo, plus a few wheats, all had signals that only appeared after getting unmasked. One of the Mercury dimes had an absolutely screaming, zippy signal and had been completely silent.

I was so certain that signal was coming from silver that I attempted to video it. The first part turned out OK, but then amateur hour kicked in and I set the phone down on the ground as I pinpointed through the loose dirt and just left it there until I had the dime in hand. Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_182749.jpg
    IMG_20191201_182749.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Nice hunt! Congrats on the triple silver!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice save on the silver, well done. Love digging Buffs. I hear ya on the pulltabs, most sound too good to pass up, of the thousand dug I just wish one would be a gold ring. lol Great hunt. HH Mark

Nice save on the silver, well done. Love digging Buffs. I hear ya on the pulltabs, most sound too good to pass up, of the thousand dug I just wish one would be a gold ring. lol Great hunt. HH Mark

Thanks! I've dug so many of a particular kind of beaver tail on this property that I can identify them pretty consistently, especially with the Equinox 800. I pride myself on being able to pick the nickels out, so it's a bit odd to dig the pull tabs on purpose.

Even with these modern machines and their unmasking superpowers, a single pull tab in just the right position can mask a friggin' 5 inch deep silver coin. I wouldn't go digging pull tabs everywhere just because there might be a silver coin, though. I just don't think "dig everything" is the answer. Certain properties under certain conditions with certain goals, maybe.

So, I'm trying to pay attention to whether there's a certain type of pull tab signal that might be worth digging more than others. So far, I'm focusing on the solid 14-17 that may only be 3 or 4 inches deep. (Above the older goodies on this property.) Those beaver tail pull tabs are usually intact and lying flat at that depth and create a wide signal that just swallows up everything under or near.

I'm also watching out for the pull tab range signals that--when running in 50 tones--gives off a hint of 18-20 at the edge of the signal and on one side. When I dig them I usually attribute that bounce to the beaver tail portion doing weird things, but now I'm wondering how many of those I've passed up were actually masking a higher conductor trying to break through.

I hear you about the gold ring. With all of the pull tabs and hundreds of nickels this year I have one gold ring this year. It came in higher than a pull tab. Big class ring. I see so little jewelry i don't even think about it.

Last edited:
Some very fine digging Soldier. Congrats on the Merc's, the War Nickel and the Buffalo. Your a lot braver than I attempting to dig 100 pull tabs. Trapper

All three silvers were masked targets? That is a great success story! I will often dig a couple dozen or so pulltab signals just to see what else might turn up. I have yet to unmask multiple silvers in one hunt. When a park runs out of plentiful coin signals, there's always pulltabs to clean out, and every so often, something good either pretending to be a pulltab, or hiding nearby.
Congrats on getting into the 40s YTD too!

Great hunting, TS! I’m still looking for a triple silver day! I love seeing Buffs too - they’re an elusive rarity for me, though.

Even with these modern machines and their unmasking superpowers, a single pull tab in just the right position can mask a friggin' 5 inch deep silver coin....

...And this entire post is very thought provoking. Thanks for the excellent report! You make a convincing case for switching up my technique a bit and digging pulltab signals more thoroughly - I’ve definitely got the patience!

Some very fine digging Soldier. Congrats on the Merc's, the War Nickel and the Buffalo. Your a lot braver than I attempting to dig 100 pull tabs. Trapper

Thanks. Like I mentioned above, I wouldn't do it in a typical trashy park without good reason. There are other areas of the property with similar levels of pull tabs but those spots haven't produced enough older coins to bother trying it. I also have some history of the property to focus where I put in more effort.

All three silvers were masked targets? That is a great success story! I will often dig a couple dozen or so pulltab signals just to see what else might turn up. I have yet to unmask multiple silvers in one hunt. When a park runs out of plentiful coin signals, there's always pulltabs to clean out, and every so often, something good either pretending to be a pulltab, or hiding nearby.
Congrats on getting into the 40s YTD too!

Yes, all three silver were not audible prior to removing pull tabs. I marked off a few 10x10 spots where I found silver and deep wheats previously, did a grid for good signals (none), and then started in on the stronger/bigger pull tab signals. One of the mercs that showed up had a signal so strong I could still get a clear steady signal with the sensitivity on the Nox turned down to 16.

Thanks for the congrats on getting 40+.

Great hunting, TS! I’m still looking for a triple silver day! I love seeing Buffs too - they’re an elusive rarity for me, though. ...And this entire post is very thought provoking. Thanks for the excellent report! You make a convincing case for switching up my technique a bit and digging pulltab signals more thoroughly - I’ve definitely got the patience!

Thanks! Again, I think there's a time and a place. In this case, there's some extra motivation. The place will be inaccessible for detecting soon. I just hate the idea of Lady Liberty getting stranded out there with all of those crummy pull tabs.

Congrats on the silver & buffalo! :good: What year is the buff?

The buffalo is 1937. The war nickel is '44. It's not shown, but the same hunt turned up a 1941 Jefferson nickel. The Mercs are '36 and '45. So, all in the same general area and a 9 year span.

I know you like wheaties. The hunt also included these wheats:

1951d

Nothing new for my wheat book.

Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom