• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

MD pirates giving all a bad name?

Rock Jock

Elite Member
Homeless in USA - Frequently in Charleston, SC
Last edited:
A similar story circulated a few years back, at a historic monument themed fed. Park in CA. And a B.O.L. was issued, blah blah. But it turned out to just be the boy scouts had been doing geocaching practice lessons. Nothing at all to do with md'ing.

Durned them boy scouts and md'rs for not covering their holes better !! :roll:

Squirrels Coyotes Foxes

Officials today do not know the difference between holes dug by Squirrels, Coyotes, Foxes or scouts. Scouts do not know enough to geocache away from historic sites.
Swinging a metal detector over anything without digging does it no harm.
If you do not dig, what harm has been done?

“The site was damaged and many artifacts are missing.”

How do they know that many artifacts are missing. I smell.... I smell....... I smell something..... smelly.

Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Doesn't that youtube guy that we're not going to speak of anymore hail from SC? I think he's trying to drag us Friendly's into his nefarious deeds. Not good.

How do they know that many artifacts are missing. I smell.... I smell....... I smell something..... smelly.

Right? Speculation claimed as fact. That's part of what you're smelling. So out of 19+ holes, I wonder if they scored anything good? Probably some clad and pulltabs around, among the good stuff.
The rest of the story is where it gets interesting. I just know I wouldn't want to be seen detecting anywhere near that part of the region for a while!

:lol:Agreed, this reeks of something…not exactly sure what…but it doesn’t necessarily seem like a “square deal”.

Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Doesn't that youtube guy that we're not going to speak of anymore hail from SC? I think he's trying to drag us Friendly's into his nefarious deeds. Not good.

Think real hard about his handle and then think real hard about some city names.

I think I saw those finds posted on another thread in a CBD video. Yeah....from his mom's basement on some shelves. Bottles and cans , knick knacks and tchotchkes ! 😂💩😂

Right? Speculation claimed as fact. That's part of what you're smelling. So out of 19+ holes, I wonder if they scored anything good? Probably some clad and pulltabs around, among the good stuff.
The rest of the story is where it gets interesting. I just know I wouldn't want to be seen detecting anywhere near that part of the region for a while!

And don't even think about detecting the curb strip along State Road S-10-97 that runs along the North side of the National Hysterical Site!

A similar story circulated a few years back, at a historic monument themed fed. Park in CA. And a B.O.L. was issued, blah blah. But it turned out to just be the boy scouts had been doing geocaching practice lessons. Nothing at all to do with md'ing.

Durned them boy scouts and md'rs for not covering their holes better !! :roll:

Just to set the record straight about Geocaching -- AS A RULE, geocaches are almost never buried. I don't know what those scouts were up to. Maybe their scout masters were clueless. I have only found 2 or 3 actually in the ground, and the contents were accessible WITHOUT DIGGING.

From https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines
-----
Do not bury

Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache.

The only exception is if a property owner gives explicit permission to create a hole to place the cache, which you must provide to the reviewer and state on the cache page. A cache cannot require the finder to dig to reach the cache. See the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for details in your region.
-----

In the post they stated there was metal artifacts next to some of the holes and other ones were empty. So they figure the "artifacts" were taken..
My suggestion to them is either be responsible and complete a full archaeological dig to ensure that there's no artifacts left to be found or scatter about 4,000 Chuck E Cheese tokens across the area to make it impossible for future detectorists. Or,
We could donate our pull tabs to be spread out across the area..
Yet another alternative would be to get some responsible detectorists together to recover any metal artifacts under their watchful eye so that this wouldn't happen again.

Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache
-----

Actually, to be fair, what they had seen was not truly "holes". They had seen little wire/flag markers at various spots around this historic spots. And thought it had something to do with md'rs (maybe they also thought they saw holes in conjunction with them ?). So they put out the word to city police and park staff to B.O.L.

But within a week, I heard that they deduced it was simply boy-scouts and geocaching.

Back
Top Bottom