one reason I don't hunt civil war relics in the summer in GA

That’s a big ole boy, wow he could really put the hurt on ya. I have killed some big ones but that’s a bruiser.

My grandmother used to kill the copperheads that would hang around her wood pile, because she had a couple of idiot grandkids who couldn't be counted on to act with common sense all the time. She used to tell us that if the lizards were on the wood pile, then the snakes weren't there. I think she only killed one or two snakes in my memory.

The lizards were typically Eastern Fence Lizards, aka Fence Swifts.

My Uncle Roy hated all snakes. We were walking on the property I used to own and ran across a Hognose Snake. He didn't have his gun, and I did, but I wasn't going to shoot a snake minding its own business, but I did show him what Hognose Snakes did when threatened (the puff up and flatten out open mouth display). I've always liked Hognose Snakes.

-- Tom

YES, freebird, I would break the law to prevent a poisonous snake from biting one of my
children. Jus to be clear....

Yup, and you'd also kill any "dangerous" bear, bobcat, cougar, dog, kitty cat, raccoon, squirrel, rooster and so on that might "endanger" your precious rugrats. You confirmed what I already knew. You don't think hunting and trapping laws apply to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the anti hunter and trapper on any forum you belong to

Yes, I am and proud of that fact. I've seen WAY too many Elmer Fudds in my time who don't think fishing, hunting and trapping laws apply to them.

I was just metal detecting a trout pond last week and found two dead rainbow trout on the ground. Probably some jerk who caught his limit and then kept fishing. He culled out the smaller ones whenever he caught a bigger trout and tossed the dying smaller ones on the ground to rot. Typical behavior from many people who fish around here.

You guys don't know how good you have it. I haven't seen a wild mammal, except a rodent, in nearly 20 years. See the odd small bird, pigeons will be hit with a sling shot and eaten for dinner if it ventures into the wrong area.

Only reptile I've seen are small lizards smaller and skinnier than your pinky finger... and those I'm lucky if I see 1 a year.

Yup, and you'd also kill any "dangerous" bear, bobcat, cougar, dog, kitty cat, raccoon, squirrel, rooster and so on that might "endanger" your precious rugrats. You confirmed what I already knew. You don't think hunting and trapping laws apply to you. Typical redneck.

Easy to see your type when you start using derogatory terms for people's children like "rugrats"....

Freebird,
Not to keep this going but I am....I guess you don't have any (your words) rugrats...I call em children. Mine are grown now but when they were very small I protected them like a bear to a cub....I would still even tho they are grown but thats another story......"IF"..you have children, I guess you put animals above your so called rugrats....hmmmmm interesting parent.

They say the baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than the big ones. Rumor is they can't control their venom output when biting?

Fact is the young snakes have a fraction of the venom as does the adult snakes, and therefore are not as lethal.

“Larger snakes have much bigger venom sacs, and adults can deliver far greater volumes of venom than babies, even if they only inject a small percentage of the total volume available.”

Thank you, Pete, for what? Telling everyone he'd break the law if an animal scared him and may "endanger" his rugrats? You and Pete are the reason why so many people despise hunters and trappers. You think hunting and trapping laws don't apply to you on your land or when no one's looking. Pathetic.

You are such a special person. Can you even hear yourself. I'm not a hunter or fisher, but grew up on venison and have no problem with people who feed themselves this way. It's time for you to get off your high horse. You are the most obnoxious and unlikeable person on this forum, bar none. I thought you had me on ignore.

Yup, and you'd also kill any "dangerous" bear, bobcat, cougar, dog, kitty cat, raccoon, squirrel, rooster and so on that might "endanger" your precious rugrats. You confirmed what I already knew. You don't think hunting and trapping laws apply to you. Typical redneck.

Not that I believe the term "redneck" to be the slur that you intend it to be, but there is a huge difference between hunting/trapping and the removal of a threat to people/property.

Most states legally recognize the difference (likely all, but I am not going to spend the time necessary to research it).

Self defense is a protected right - one that even RI recognizes to some extent.

Yes, even those "rugrats" you so callously dismiss are deemed more worthy (from a legal standpoint) than any of the animals you listed. That is as it should be, and must be.

Not even you would like it if things weren't that way.

You are the most obnoxious and unlikeable person on this forum, bar none. I thought you had me on ignore.

Thank you, right back at you. I put you on my ignore list after you sent me a few threatening messages, but decided that you're harmless. Plus, I have WAY too much fun annoying you to miss out on your replies!

She used to tell us that if the lizards were on the wood pile, then the snakes weren't there.

-- Tom

Tom,

Missed your post yesterday, but love your grandma "country wisdom"...There are a lot of definitions of "smart", but this is surely one of them....

Regards,

Peter

My Uncle Roy hated all snakes. We were walking on the property I used to own and ran across a Hognose Snake. He didn't have his gun, and I did, but I wasn't going to shoot a snake minding its own business, but I did show him what Hognose Snakes did when threatened (the puff up and flatten out open mouth display). I've always liked Hognose Snakes.

-- Tom

Always heard the Hognose snake called a Spreadinadder in South Georgia.

Always heard the Hognose snake called a Spreadinadder in South Georgia.

I never knew until recently that Hognosed Snakes are actually mildly venomous. I still like them.

This whole thread reminds me of my friend Marcus, who had a back door with a very wide gap underneath. The cats started going crazy one night because a Ringnecked Snake found its way into the house through that door.

RIP Marcus (no, he didn't die of a snakebite).

-- Tom

I never knew until recently that Hognosed Snakes are actually mildly venomous. I still like them.

This whole thread reminds me of my friend Marcus, who had a back door with a very wide gap underneath. The cats started going crazy one night because a Ringnecked Snake found its way into the house through that door.

RIP Marcus (no, he didn't die of a snakebite).

-- Tom

That may be, but Hognose snakes are true cowards. As kids we handled them all the time. When frightened (which seems to be always) they curl upside down and play dead. So funny to us kids back then. I was with a group of boys that loved snakes and it would never occur to us to kill a snake. As an adult, I cut the head off a copperhead in my garage because I new better than to try and handle him even with a stick.

As teens we use a 6' wooden stick with a U-shaped iron hook to handle snakes. This way they stayed on the hook or if they slipped off, they slipped off 6' away from you. When catching them your partner held the flower bag open and you lowered the snake in the bag and your partner tied the top in a knot. Grew up in small town in the country. Everything we did for fun was almost always done outdoors. Not so with todays kids.

Back
Top Bottom