Can this 2 Cent be saved?

local_coins

Elite Member
Dug today. It has a hard green crust and only a couple of spots showing a beautiful green coin that is EF or better.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 698
The more research I do on cleaning this coin the less likely I feel there is a solution. The corrosion is pretty heavy and I realize now there is no hope to save any of the green patina AND get detail on the rest of the coin.

The dirt is pretty much all gone in the pictures and what is left is corrosion. I am going to try picking at it a little and see what happens but I may end up just leaving it alone.

Bummer.

The more research I do on cleaning this coin the less likely I feel there is a solution. The corrosion is pretty heavy and I realize now there is no hope to save any of the green patina AND get detail on the rest of the coin.

The dirt is pretty much all gone in the pictures and what is left is corrosion. I am going to try picking at it a little and see what happens but I may end up just leaving it alone.

Bummer.

I think you've drawn the correct conclusion. When they're that bad, little can be done. I'd go ahead and try the hot peroxide, as mentioned. 30 seconds in the microwave, and let the coin set in it for about 10 minutes, they try doing a little picking. You're sure not going to hurt it.

Try picking first, that way you'll know what you can accomplish using that method, may come in useful down the road.

Electrolysis will do it wonders if done right. Look up Detect America on YouTube for some great step by step how to videos on it as well as making your own set up.

Thanks, everyone. I may do something to it - just not sure what yet. I am going to start gentle and work my way up depending on how it goes.

I am contemplating leaving it alone, too...

Has anyone tried using those Andre's Pencils yet? Word on the street is that these things really work.

At this point I would even consider tumbling. This coin might not be as rough as it looks. Bronze holds to better than copper. It will never look new again, but getting it more readable isn't a bad thing.

Has anyone tried using those Andre's Pencils yet? Word on the street is that these things really work.

At this point I would even consider tumbling. This coin might not be as rough as it looks. Bronze holds to better than copper. It will never look new again, but getting it more readable isn't a bad thing.

Andres pencils are AMAZING I use them on all my IHPs and no matter how hard you wrench on the coins it doesn't take patina off. I recommend them.

I would do electrolysis for sure. No matter what you do to clean it when they are corroded that heavily you have to realize there is pitting to the coin under that corrosion. Do electrolysis and keep a close eye on it. Do it just long enough for the corrosion to flake off. You will at least be able to see the coin clearly then and it will look better in the find case.

Back
Top Bottom