18K at Can Slaw Beach

Hate to be the bad guy, but that ring is not real gold. These are scam rings, sold on the streets by scammers to people getting gas or stopping at the liquor store. There is usually a hard luck story and they get sold for $40 to $60. I own 2 pawn shops and I see these rings every day. This is all to common of a scam, your find is honest and cool to find a ring but it is not gold.

Man! That's a huge high karat ring. Very very nice.

BCD

Thanks Dawg for looking and the good words.

Hate to be the bad guy, but that ring is not real gold. These are scam rings, sold on the streets by scammers to people getting gas or stopping at the liquor store. There is usually a hard luck story and they get sold for $40 to $60. I own 2 pawn shops and I see these rings every day. This is all to common of a scam, your find is honest and cool to find a ring but it is not gold.

Thanks for looking and your comments Kansas. Your right there is a fool borne at every liquor store, in fact had I purchased it after stopping at one I would completely agree:lol: While you may be correct, I don't see you as the bad guy. I am out of 18k acid, but it passed the 14K acid test. Thanks for you checking it out for me and good hunting.

Incredible ring and with some nice weight behind it. Congrats on a sweet find!

Thanks shaker for the good comment and taking time to view my post. Good hunting.

It's not about the 18K acid, we use almost pure Nitric acid which will eat up most anything but gold, that includes skin. I never use those acids for testing the karat of gold as they age they are also very unreliable.

It's not about the 18K acid, we use almost pure Nitric acid which will eat up most anything but gold, that includes skin. I never use those acids for testing the karat of gold as they age they are also very unreliable.

Yeah... But I've been accused of having found garbage jewelry several times, too. And the real ones are real, no matter how convinced someone is, based on a picture.

It's pretty easy to spot a fake, when you're holding it. But on a picture? No way.

I'd go with 18K unless proven otherwise. :) It's sure easy enough to test them...

That being said, without a guarantee, you could be right. It seems like a really massive ring for just 15 grams. I've found 14K class rings that look "smaller" than that ring and they were 16+ grams. But again.. It's a picture. Hard to tell.

Cheers!

Skippy

If I detected as a job, I would starve to death.
Yeah i know the feeling. Me and Kapi may have to pay you a visit down the road so we can see who can find the most bottlecaps. They just filled in my beaches with sand and bottle caps and iron are rare:shock:

Yeah... But I've been accused of having found garbage jewelry several times, too. And the real ones are real, no matter how convinced someone is, based on a picture.

It's pretty easy to spot a fake, when you're holding it. But on a picture? No way.

I'd go with 18K unless proven otherwise. :) It's sure easy enough to test them...

That being said, without a guarantee, you could be right. It seems like a really massive ring for just 15 grams. I've found 14K class rings that look "smaller" than that ring and they were 16+ grams. But again.. It's a picture. Hard to tell.

Cheers!

Skippy

Yeah the 14K Italy chains are the most common fake. But i find mostly real ones. Just thinking if the ring wasnt gold it would be in funky looking shape. And i can take a pic of real gold with my camera and it sometimes looks like red is showing through the gold. Time to go play with my real 24k chains now:D

Yeah the 14K Italy chains are the most common fake. But i find mostly real ones. Just thinking if the ring wasnt gold it would be in funky looking shape. And i can take a pic of real gold with my camera and it sometimes looks like red is showing through the gold. Time to go play with my real 24k chains now:D

Yep! Digital cameras interpret colors funny sometimes. It's not a "real" image, by any means. I've seen some really weird stuff as examples (I work in the print industry and several color-science trainings I've been to have highlighted this kind of thing happening with digital.).

I'd say that sucker looks gold, and wouldn't have questioned it (it just looks right to my eyes), but the weight did seem light for what looks like a MASSIVE 18K ring.

Could be that it's 14K stamped 18K... i've run across that... along with 10K stamped 14K. LOL

With an acid test positive at 14K, though... It's gold. :)

Skippy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom