• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ABOUT COIN DEPTHS

Dont think anyone has mentioned one of the main contributors to " sinking "

WORMS. MOLES. Etc They are constantly changeing the

underground strata and angle of objects.

Chop

Interesting that you've mentioned moles. I have found cartridge casings and a fur trade ring in the loose mounds. Seems to me that moles hate metallic objects and push them up and out. Coincidence ?, I do not know, but I've learned to check mole mounds.

Great topic... Now a days, it's the fill being added to exsisting soil that erodes from floods, heavy rain, and visa versa, because where the soil is not restored you will find coins and other metal objects, as well as marbles, plastic combs, etc...

But as Carol states, it's the soils density and the objects density that are the deciding factor along with air pressure, roots, rocks, minerialzation that determines how deep an object will sink. Carol has given us the exact science to how different metals will sink and at what depth... Love it... Thanks Carol...

Philo NY

ABOUT COIN DEPTHS

Why are some older coins very shallow when newer coins are deep at the same sites? How can a new coin sink deeper in a few years than an old one in over 80 years?

The Density of Soil

The density of inorganic soil is from 2.6 to 2.8 and any object of greater density, including coins, would eventually sink until the density of the soil equaled the density of the object.

The Sink Rate

Carol, thank you very much for posting this info! I know it was posted ages (7 years )-ago in 2006, but it sure is great info for us beginners to have! Nice lesson in physics to!

For the "sinking coin" debate. Ive recently dug more than $5 in quarters from a sledding hill and a fairground field from 1 to 4 inches deep. All drops from sometime within the past year since they are bright and shiny and I pounded those areas over and over last year. They were dropped in grass or snow above the grass. No soil was disturbed except for the occasional mower or vehicle driving over the area. I know objects sink , there really is no other explanation here. The funny thing is they actually made it not only through the grass but in many cases they made it through the thick entanglement of grasst roots , which is unbelievable unless you see it for yourself. They do sink but there are a lot of factors that determine how far or how fast they sink. Soil makeup , density , moisture , rainfall , object weight and surface area. Everything vibrates on some level , even if its so miniscule that you cant see it with the naked eye. The earth itself vibrates at its own frequency. Between all the vibrations and the pull of gravity it takes time but things get pulled under until they either hit another object or the soil density traps it in place.

I agree as I found a old Daisy single shot cap pistol under a old pine tree near a old house and had to remove roots to get it and it was like only about 3 inches underground.

Just this morning I dug a 1981 memorial penny at a good 7 inches in my old park! When I get coins at that depth it turns out to be barbers seated or ih. There is no fill dirt there. How that penny got that deep is beyond me

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Just this morning I dug a 1981 memorial penny at a good 7 inches in my old park! When I get coins at that depth it turns out to be barbers seated or ih. There is no fill dirt there. How that penny got that deep is beyond me
Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Standing water puddles would be my guess. Is there a creek that rises over that ground when it rains a lot?

Roots

Most of my silver coins have been found around large old trees at very very shallow depths. I think the roots prevent them from sinking.
Hi seadog, I've heard the roots grow out from the tree and push up. This helps by carrying targets up with them. I've seen sidewalks lifted and broken up.by Oak roots. I think maybe so....anyway, HH

Up here in wisconsin and the mid west I couldn't help to think that the weight of the snow pushing the coins deeper than what they would in the south. Just my 2 cents

Depths

Wow thanks Carol...
Fascinating read and really makes sense!!
I guess to get the gold we have to go deep...

You have a pic?

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

Sure do. I'm 6 hours from home at drill right now and about to get OC sprayed or else I'd take a better one. Lol I'll put one up Monday for sure when I make my "What I've found so far" post. The pics I took didn't show the date, but it's next to my favorite flat button I found in the same area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Larger coins barely sink compared to smaller coins i noticed maybe its because the soil has to shift or change more around them i always find them at 1 inch

Coins most likely sink sideways and not straight down as some believe which would explain the random depths of various coins

Back
Top Bottom