Explain why a Tesoro is better than my B.H.

The Tejon runs at 17khz and the Mojave runs at 12 khz. They both have ed180 disc. The Tejon with its raw power is a beast in iron and when one learns the nuances of al km the snapping and crackling one can pull relics and coins with the best of them. With its high khz though it does love low conductors like .22 she'll casings and small lead at depth etc, but you won't leave a small $1 gold coin if you get the coil over it. They both seperate in trash about the same as far as I can tell. The Mojave in the iron is a beast all its own also that is just sparky enough to be a great relic machine and handles many types of soil conditions without losing pwrformance. The Mojave at 12khz loves coins and you know when your over one if you know the tesoro language. It to will dig small lead and shell casings at about the 5 or 6 in range just not as deep as the Tejon. The Mojave is very sensitive to small jewelry also. The Mojave loves gold and mine will air test a men's 14k wedding band to almost 11 in. They are both machines I consider a must have for the type of hunting I do.

Here is an example of Tesoro's discrimination: this old iron corroded
pocket knife was easily detected by my Cibola. It was discriminated
because of the two brass plates under all this iron oxyde :wow:
I had the Cibola tuned just over "Foil" .
HH
Ramm

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 540
What did you end up buying instead? My Mojave has paid for itself many times over with great finds. The fun that I'm having with Mojave is priceless.

Heck, the Mojave is one of Monte's favorite detectors. I knew it was a winner when I first read the specs. It's a 'classic'. I didn't even like the name Cazador.

beephead
I actually went for a Vaquero at Richard's detectors and for some reason my standing account with my debit card didn't work out and I couldn't even get my emails answered. After 3 days, I was looking thru a detector magazine and saw a 2 page ad for the White's MX5 and the only detector I'd ever had with features was a CZ5-which I sold when my arm gave out after an 8 hr hunt. I couldn't resist all the features and Kellyco had no problems with my transaction. I'm sure there was some glitch, as Richard's detectors had been fast, efficient, and informative on my last two purchases. Don't know what happened- just a rare coincidence. BTW, the MX5 is a keeper.

I have never used a tesoro, but have always heard favorable reviews from those who own them. I have used a BH Landstar for many years and really loved it. If I was hunting a dirt parking lot, the BH was totally awesome at weeding out trash and finding coins and jewelry. I could put it in autonotch and it would ignor pulltabs but would still pick up my 14k wedding ring which read the same as a pulltab. But the warrantee and build quality of tesoros is much better. I think you would be successful with either.

I like multi tones ( I can decipher what's what in the ground.) That being said I saw that the Tesoro Golden µMax has the following :

Ferrous/Iron/Foil-Low
Nickel- Medium High
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny- Medium Low
Silve - High

Obviously tesoro doesn't make this detector anymore and if they did I'd snatch one up immediately.

So what tesoro's are multi tone (and not super expensive?)

I like multi tones ( I can decipher what's what in the ground.) That being said I saw that the Tesoro Golden µMax has the following :

Ferrous/Iron/Foil-Low
Nickel- Medium High
Silve - High

Obviously tesoro doesn't make this detector anymore and if they did I'd snatch one up immediately.

No other Tesoros being made currently have multiple tones like the Golden.

I use a screen units that have several tone choices because I too like to be able to decipher what's in the ground.
I also use two Tesoros from time to time.
On those, even with the one tone, I am also able to decipher what's in the ground just about as well.
There is a language you learn and techniques you can use that can let you do this.
They are way more than beep and dig and a blast to use...but they are not for everybody.

Ferrous/Iron/Foil-Low
Nickel- Medium High
Silve - High

The Cortes has nine different tones in sum mode that relate directly to the bar graph segments

What is SUM mode?

This is from the Tesoro web site about the Cortes and its sum mode :

The Sum Mode is a feature that can help identify targets. While the detector is in either the Discriminate or All Metal Mode, the display shows the target information from the entire sweep of the coil. Each time the coil passes over the target, the microprocessor generates a new target ID reading. While this is nice for general searching, it can be confusing while pinpointing. This is where the Sum Mode becomes useful. Pushing the springloaded switch into the Sum Mode causes the detector to start a multi-tone ID and averages all of the coil passes over the target. The tone ID has nine different tones and relates directly to the bar graph segments. The higher up on the graph the target is, the higher the pitch of the audio signal. Averaging the coil passes over the target gives the detectorist the ability to get rid of most of the signal noise that prevents making an accurate target identification.

I didn't find the sum mode very useful. By the time you keep swinging to get the tone to average out you could have retrieved the target. As much as I loved the Cortes, I found the SUM mode to be unnecessary.

Now I am curious,
What difference (if any) is there between a Tejon and a Mohave?:?:

Tejon has two separate discrimination circuits and manual ground balance. Also runs at a higher frequency. Both have same ed180 discrimination but the Tejon is definitely more powerful relic machine.

Noah

my nephew has a BH and I didnt like the delay in the burried items, the tesoro is like an axe spot on every time

tesoro to bounty hunter

Tesoro and BH is like comparing apples to oranges.no contast. I would compare BH to radio shack detector.I think most new fishers remind me of bounty hunters this is why i stay away from fisher.I think the old fisheres were much better made,JMO

Old Thread..Just like all Tesoro single peep butterchurns......I do like the fact they can run on a carbide pill like a coal miners helmet, thats sort of OldSkool and nice.....and they are light and flimsey like a Chinese collapsible bamboo umbrella, but compared to real in field production like a Fisher rig?? Digger Please!....

Well..the World needs ditch diggers too I guess..some folks like this kind of stuff, like shooting a wooden arrow out of a recurve at an 80yrd 5x5 elk in Montana..some folks like this...some folks tie their own flies and such...some folks golf, or like to collect bugs, or make their own shoes or soap, or are into extreme couponing ...Those kind of guys are the Teeboy swingers, and we love them and cheer them on! ...Theres room for everybody in this Sport, even for those stupid booger eaters swinging the Minelabs!!!!....

Pound per pound and ROI considerations taken into account...any Tesoro or BH rig kicks positive over the typical booboo nose mining Minelabber ..:laughing:...

Yep, old thread is old, and OP hasn't logged-in here for a year, so I doubt he'll see the replies.

But I'll play :D

Put both detectors you just bought new in a closet for 25 years. When you take them out, put batteries in them, and in the event neither work, guess which one gets fixed for free :p

Yep, old thread is old, and OP hasn't logged-in here for a year, so I doubt he'll see the replies.

But I'll play :D

Put both detectors you just bought new in a closet for 25 years. When you take them out, put batteries in them, and in the event neither work, guess which one gets fixed for free :p

Lets riff and roar on this old thread Buddy!...So lets say you put a BH in a closet with a Tesoro for 25yrs?...No batts in them? What can a guy expect?....Both will fire up just fine is the answer!...although, confined in a dark closet for 25yrs together?, there may be a few bastards conceived a guy would be responsible for taking care of in his dotage...Like a gosh darn Minelab!...or a Deus...!:laughing:

Ny first machine was a silver uMax. I quickly moved to a Teknetics Gamma. Same as the BH Platinum. The Teknetics blew the Tesoro away completely. Having multi audio and VDI is nice even if you choose not to use it. Plus the Gamma is as lights the Tesoro. I'd never go back.

Back
Top Bottom