Sand Blaster

13rannon

Elite Member
Does/Has anyone here every used a sand blaster to clean your finds?

If yes, does it work well?

Hmmm... not me, but it seems like it would work pretty good for those iron/rusty items we find in the fields, old homes etc. You think?

I assume

you mean using it on them big old iron things you might dig up. As far as small objects, you may have nothing left but memories after a good blasting.
Old door hinges and machine parts might look better in the natural, or just the way they came out of the ground, less the dirt and loose scale.
I found the remnants of an old hayfork, shovel, horseshoe, and a big gear a few years ago in Vermont. I had no use for them and gave them to my nephew. He has a small farm and a rustic barn where he hung them. They look good with the rusty patina. Taking them down to clean metal and painting them is another option. Looks are in the eye of the beer holder.:lol:..Good luck....Gil

Besides sand, there's a huge selection of other, less abrasive choices to blast with. Walnut shells, plastic "shot", even sponge pellets (I've seen sponge used for extremely fine work, I just can't figure out how it can possibly work!) If you have the equipment, you could experiment, but I'm with everyone else. Try it on iron, stay away from coins and jewelry. Logroller

Yeah, most of the stuff I find are old relics. That's what I would use it on. Coins would be too small and they clean up pretty easy with other methods anyways.

Back
Top Bottom