You know what they say, Mess with the Bull

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
My luck has been so bad lately I couldn't even get the horns. But still a cool find, probably a hood ornament from a truck. Looks like the horns lit up . This was dug on one of my less productive hunts at a city park.
I dug silver # 38 on May 18th and did not dig another for over 2 months.
I got permission to do the yard next to where I dug the SLQ in July and although I dug 16 shallow wheaties there was no silver. Then in a part of the yard that had fill I dug a deeper Rosie. # 39 Think it came in with the fill. My thoughts were that the place had been cherry picked just like the place next door due to all the penny signals and not much else. On a return trip I did find an Ihp a Buff and a few more wheats.
Pretty much the same on a return to a city park. Dug a 1918 Buff, a transit token and a 2 wheat and transit token spill.
A 1915 permission had my hopes up but the yard was probably the most trashy yard I've ever hunted. Was worse than a picnic grove Two wheats and a little clad was all for about 6 hours of sweating to the oldies, or for the oldies.
While at that place the guy told me about a building being renovated down the street. An apartment building, a small front and not a lot of grass but I was welcome.
I went over today and my first signal was a nice, deep quarter signal, really, a 65 quarter shows up n I'm thinking this ain't good. Been digging to many 65 & 66 coins lately. Anyhow dug a crotal bell a D buckle so I knew there was potential for older stuff there. Dug a V nickle and that confirmed it. Had dug a couple wheats and a bunch of clad and just about when I was ready to call it quits I got a scratchy 26 and out comes a well worn Barber dime. Its thin and worn but I'll take her. Finally silver # 40 FTY.
Hopefully I got my ticket back for the silver train. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• redo206.jpg
    redo206.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 428
  • redo207.jpg
    redo207.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 418
  • redo209.jpg
    redo209.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 413
  • redo210.jpg
    redo210.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 424
  • redo211.jpg
    redo211.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 425
  • redo208.jpg
    redo208.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Nice finds Mark! Way to break the Shiny Slump with the Rosie and Barber. You always find some cool Pittsburgh stuff!

Mark, from the looks of things, it looks like you worked for those finds. And at the same time, it seems like those finds have been worked over too. lol. Cool tokens and a Barber is a Barber no matter what condition. And you did very well with the clad too. Congrats on silvers 39 & 40 and soon on your way to the 50's too! John

It really sounds like you’ve been working hard for the finds, Mark…I feel you on all the ‘65 coins! There was a stretch earlier in the year where I lost count of how many deep ‘65 quarters and dimes I dug :roll: But it also looks like the perseverance is paying off! That Barber looks as tired as you must be after all the digging in the heat, but it’s a beauty all the same! Congrats on getting the silver train rolling again! And you know me, I’m a token fan…so I love those transit tokens! That old AMI tool tag is pretty cool, too. Keep up the good work!

You put in the sweat and the time. I’d say you earned everything you found there and probably feel pretty good that you covered the ground well. That’s one thing I try to walk away with as often as possible thinking I worked an area good and feel confident about my searching. You located some good hidden items there.

Nice finds Mark! Way to break the Shiny Slump with the Rosie and Barber. You always find some cool Pittsburgh stuff!

Thank you David. Hope to continue the trend. Good luck. Mark

Mark, from the looks of things, it looks like you worked for those finds. And at the same time, it seems like those finds have been worked over too. lol. Cool tokens and a Barber is a Barber no matter what condition. And you did very well with the clad too. Congrats on silvers 39 & 40 and soon on your way to the 50's too! John
John thanks, I remember back in May commenting I would like to hit 50 by the end of June. Now thats my goal fty. With things cooling off a bit maybe I'll get out a little more. Good luck to you. Mark

Great finds Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. Good luck. Mark

It really sounds like you’ve been working hard for the finds, Mark…I feel you on all the ‘65 coins! There was a stretch earlier in the year where I lost count of how many deep ‘65 quarters and dimes I dug :roll: But it also looks like the perseverance is paying off! That Barber looks as tired as you must be after all the digging in the heat, but it’s a beauty all the same! Congrats on getting the silver train rolling again! And you know me, I’m a token fan…so I love those transit tokens! That old AMI tool tag is pretty cool, too. Keep up the good work!

Thank you Ben. Of all the tokens I've dug this year almost half are the transit tokens. Pretty common for around here. What I learned was the 1922 is the year they introduced and they were used all the way up to 1948. There is also a 3 on them, not sure what thats about. I thought maybe there were different lines but all the one I have ever seen have the 3 on them. I do enjoy finding them. Good luck. Mark

Way to go! That would be a good YEAR for me!

Iggy thanks. Hope you have a great year. Good luck. Mark

You put in the sweat and the time. I’d say you earned everything you found there and probably feel pretty good that you covered the ground well. That’s one thing I try to walk away with as often as possible thinking I worked an area good and feel confident about my searching. You located some good hidden items there.

Thank you Flood. I always hit an area from at least 2 directions. And although I didn't mention it there was a rusty nut by the Barber which may be why I didn't hear it on my first pass. Good luck. Mark

Great finds. Tokens never get old to me because they are so timetable specific that you can put yourself in the shoes of the person using them. I definitely hear you on 65' coins. My silver count would be 200 this year if they counted. Thanks for sharing.

Hard to argue with those results Mark, congrats on the silver and the rest!

Thank you Jeff. Hope to get out a little more since its starting to cool off a little and I hope you are getting out as well. Good luck. Mark

Great finds. Tokens never get old to me because they are so timetable specific that you can put yourself in the shoes of the person using them. I definitely hear you on 65' coins. My silver count would be 200 this year if they counted. Thanks for sharing.

ringsandthings thank you, Tokens are always a welcome find. Good luck. Mark

Love the mixed bag of goodies. That scratchy 26 being a worn Barber dime is a familiar scenario. Good work and congrats on the keepers!

Thank you Foragist. I think the 6in. coil does a great job at unmasking. Good luck. Mark

Nice variety of cool stuff. Silver, buff, tokens relics. Excellent digs, sir !

Many thanks and may the cool and shiny finds continue for us both. Good luck. Mark

I go away for a couple day's and you dig all the good stuff! Congrats Mark!

Steve

Thanks Steve, its been one rough summer for Md'ing. That rain we had earlier this month helped loosen things up a bit but now the ground is back to rock hard again. Good luck. Mark

Hey Mark, great finds. I have found the exact transit token in Geneva On The Lake, OH. There was a street tear out I did here about 3 years ago. The one I found is roached!
Jer

Back
Top Bottom