Starting the year off on a good note...silvers #1 & #2 plus a Buff.

Waveoff

Elite Member
It got nice and warm today here in Pittsburgh so I decided to go detecting. I've been itching to try out the NEL Tornado coil on the Etrac to see how it compares to the Ultimate 13" I finished up last year with. First, I went to a pounded park that I found a Rosie at with the Ultimate. It was super trashy so I used the 8x6 SEF to start. My first coin dug was a '43 war nickel. I didn't get to detect long before I had to run home so that was the only coin I found there.

I then headed out to a large yard at a coal mining village house that I've pounded with other detectors and coils. This is the same yard where I found my first silver quarter last year...an 1894 Barber. It seemed like targets had dried up at this spot. Enter the Etrac armed with a Tornado coil... At first I was really annoyed because the cable was a B***H to thread up the shaft. Then I had to remove one of the grommets on the lower shaft to attach the coil. I was thinking that this coil better show me some love after fighting with it! I was scanning areas that I had gridded previously with my Vaquero. I hit a solid 10-12 about 4" down and out came a Buff that was on edge. I then moved over to the backyard close to the house. I had previously gridded that area with my Compadre and Vaquero. About 5' away from where I dug my first Barber quarter I hit an iffy 12-46 to 12-47. It had that high pitched silver sound to it and I just had a good feeling it was going to be a silver quarter. Sure enough, on edge about 4" down was a silver rim. I plucked it out and cracked open the coin ball to reveal an 1899 Barber quarter!

I think I'm going to like this Tornado coil. I can run it at a higher sensitivity than the Ultimate in the same spots it seems. I'll need to do a few more hunts just to make sure. Pinpointing with it wasn't too bad either.

Ironically, I started off last year with a war nickel and a Barber quarter as my first two silver finds for the year.:)

4krCQAc.jpg

baoViZc.jpg

Wa to take advantage of the small winter break! Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice finds!! I also went from a ultimate to the tornado and loved the tornado

Thank you! I can't wait to use this coil some more.

great finds! i love those barbers. i hope i find my first this year.

Thanks! I hope you find a Barber soon as well. They're such pretty coins.:)

Congrats on the barber,and the buffalo too,,very nice coins.All I got today was clad and wheats.:laughing:

Thanks Pete! I'm sure there's some silver somewhere amongst those wheats...or so they say. I dug 296 wheats last year and only got 47 silvers.:lol:

Nice finds!!!!

Thank you!

Wa to take advantage of the small winter break! Congrats.

Thanks! It was fun while it lasted. The rain moved in this afternoon and the snow will return this weekend.:(

Congrats on the silver, great way to start the year. I got out for a couple of hours Thur. till the rain came. One wheatie, two memorial cents. I chased a bunch of iffy signals but all trash. I'll be interested to see how that Nel coil does for you. Keep us posted. Good luck Mark

crazy ironic !!!

Big congrats to a great start to the year!!!
So, I take it your dirt down there isn't frozen like ours then?

That's some crazy irony !!!
You should dig up and post the link from last year.......

Keep up the good work.......

Awesome!! I always get excited when I get a 12:46 on the CTX :)

Seeing those numbers definitely get the heart thumping!

Congrats on the silver, great way to start the year. I got out for a couple of hours Thur. till the rain came. One wheatie, two memorial cents. I chased a bunch of iffy signals but all trash. I'll be interested to see how that Nel coil does for you. Keep us posted. Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark. Sorry you didn't get any silver the other day. I'm sure you'll be posting some finds soon that will make me jealous though! Hopefully the weather cooperates soon so I can test this coil out some more.

Really nice hunt! Been too long since ive seen a barber...congrats!

Thanks! I wish I could find more Barbers like some of the guys around here that dig them up like they're wheats.:lol:

Big congrats to a great start to the year!!!
So, I take it your dirt down there isn't frozen like ours then?

That's some crazy irony !!!
You should dig up and post the link from last year.......

Keep up the good work.......

Thank you! There were still some hard spots but most of the dirt was pretty diggable on Thursday. There were a couple of targets I couldn't dig because the ground was rock solid. I took note of where they were.

Here's the LINK to my first two silver coin finds from last year.:)

Awesome score on the Barber. Congrats!

Thank you!

What a great write up .. Hunts like that are t
he best . Nice little buff , a war nic. And a sweet 1800s chubby barber đź‘Ť
In January no less .
Congrats .
, Dew

What a great write up .. Hunts like that are t
he best . Nice little buff , a war nic. And a sweet 1800s chubby barber đź‘Ť
In January no less .
Congrats .
, Dew

Thanks Dew! Your silver to wheat ratio last year is impressive! I'm hoping for a year like that now that I'm armed with an Etrac. Do you have any secrets or tips you can share?

A great way to start the new year - congrats !

Before I got a second Lower Leg I always carry a string with a small metal nut on the end for changing coils on my E-Trac.
Just drop the end with the nut on it down through the leg - take the nut off - tie it around the connection of the coil and pull the wire up though the leg.

Good Hunting !

Back
Top Bottom