• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Long handled digger that is light?

pplinker

Forum Supporter
My half size shovel with D handle broke when I was prying on frozen ground. I also have a ground shark shovel and just don't use it because it is too long and heavy.

Any suggestions for a lightweight shovel that is also strong? I'm calling it a shovel, don't know what the proper term is.

No answers, never mind.

I just ordered a Lil Digger off EBay, 39.95 and no shipping. 29 inches and a D handle more like what I'm used to.

Sorry nobody answered, many just click the New Post button to refresh all, versus just cruising one subforum, bad news is on a busy day, most threads can get buried quickly.

Good luck with your little digger. I modified a trenching shovel years ago, but if im working yards and parks I still prefer the Sampson. But since I cut the blade about 1 inch wider and 2 inches longer, I do choose that one for the fields and woods.

Sorry nobody answered, many just click the New Post button to refresh all, versus just cruising one subforum, bad news is on a busy day, most threads can get buried quickly.

Good luck with your little digger. I modified a trenching shovel years ago, but if im working yards and parks I still prefer the Sampson. But since I cut the blade about 1 inch wider and 2 inches longer, I do choose that one for the fields and woods.

I understand why you would prefer the modified trenching shovel in the woods and fields. It would be a lot faster than making a little plug like some of the shovels are designed to do. The ground shark takes 6 digs in a circle for a larger plug so you end up with a flower shaped plug.

Received the Lil Digger, seems like a great deal. Workmanship seems good, but it's made in China and I should have stayed loyal to USA. However we all buy China when we go to Walmart. Not that this came from Walmart; it came off ebay and all the way from California.

It is 29 inches and just a little bit short to use as a cane on uneven ground. It'll work though if I lean to one side a little.

I like the light weight of it and the handle seems real comfortable. Haven't dug with it yet, but expecting it to be a capable digger.

Have heard of the ground hawg, never heard of Sir Kay. Sound like good ones.

The Sir Kay is from Excalibur Metal Detecting Shovels, made here in the USA, very well made, D handle, weighs in at 2.75lbs, 31" I believe.

It's definitely Chinese. But it is titanium, most likely from Russia. It's going to be light and should be strong as well. If I decide to buy one I'll let you know it it's any good.

I actually bought one. It's made in Russia. It's 29" long with a hickory handle. It's really light. Blade size is between a trowel and a long handle shovel. It's strong. I haven't been able to bend it in our super dry ground yet. Dirt doesn't stick to titanium either. I wish they'd have made it just a bit bigger and had more area to get your foot on it. A decent compromise between a Lesche type digger and a relic shovel.
titanium-shovel-universal-small-trowel-with-handle-100-titanium-ec8424f98b05f1791eada549fd39b02e.jpg

I actually bought one. It's made in Russia. It's 29" long with a hickory handle. It's really light. Blade size is between a trowel and a long handle shovel. It's strong. I haven't been able to bend it in our super dry ground yet. Dirt doesn't stick to titanium either. I wish they'd have made it just a bit bigger and had more area to get your foot on it. A decent compromise between a Lesche type digger and a relic shovel.
titanium-shovel-universal-small-trowel-with-handle-100-titanium-ec8424f98b05f1791eada549fd39b02e.jpg

Any way you can mount some type foot pad?

Just an update on the titanium shovel. Holy cow this thing is strong. I was at an old dugout site this week. Got a signal under two different large flat rocks. Bigger than a briefcase and 4" thick. Well over half way in the ground. Pried it out with ease. I've pried with this little thing just sure I was going to break it. Hasn't even bent.
mk.jpg

titan.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom