3-5,000 Trading Cards for $100./Waste of Time/Money?

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
This was an impulse buy and a crapshoot.I know virtually nothing about sports or sports trading cards. Except that, in the 1980s and 90s, they were heavily mass produced. These cards are from that era. Question- Is there a legitimate market for these cards today, and are there any specific cards that are notably valuable that I could search for? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 59FF4EDF-D87D-4028-B8DC-7EBAD73BAFCC.jpg
    59FF4EDF-D87D-4028-B8DC-7EBAD73BAFCC.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 343
Look for any big name rookie cards and inserts. Holographic cards are usually more sought after. My guess is, it's probably already been picked through, but you never know. I have several hundred as well, and when I was a kid I took all the good ones out of each set and definitely regret it now. I had over a dozen complete sets, my uncle ran a trading card table at a local flea market for many years. Now the incomplete sets collect dust. I would call anyone you know that might have some knowledge of sports and maybe have them go through it with you.

You have bad manners for somebody so new to the forum. I was looking at some of your other posts. Ever find anything?

I appologize if you found that to be bad manners, but I was using it as a figure of speech, nothing personal. Just think 150 years ago, people settled arguments with duel's. Smile... life isn't so bad if your biggest complain is a text on your screen! My point is, a sucker is born everyday. Put a price on it, and sooner or later someone will buy it!

I'm an avid baseball card collector. I have over 10,000 cards - some dating back to 1909.

Although there could be some value in a couple rookie cards, it would only be if they graded really high. And I can tell you from experience, the chances of that are slim to none. Any amount of handling a card makes if unlikely it could grade a 10. Professional grading is a whole other ballgame. It's expensive and the valuable cards bring value ONLY of they are graded by one of the top 2 grading companies.

All my 80-90's cards I just pack up with 15-20 per pack and give them for free to young kids. I do hope you get some enjoyment from them though. That's why I collect them.

I'm an avid baseball card collector. I have over 10,000 cards - some dating back to 1909.

Although there could be some value in a couple rookie cards, it would only be if they graded really high. And I can tell you from experience, the chances of that are slim to none. Any amount of handling a card makes if unlikely it could grade a 10. Professional grading is a whole other ballgame. It's expensive and the valuable cards bring value ONLY of they are graded by one of the top 2 grading companies.

All my 80-90's cards I just pack up with 15-20 per pack and give them for free to young kids. I do hope you get some enjoyment from them though. That's why I collect them.

Do you happen to have a Moe Berg baseball card? A very interesting fellow.

Do you happen to have a Moe Berg baseball card? A very interesting fellow.

I don't believe I do. There were only 3 years during his playing days that he had a card: 1933, 1939 and 1940. I only have 2 1933 cards, and although I have a number of the 1939-40 cards, he is not one of them.

You're right though - he was an interesting person!

I was given a few boxes of that era and was able to find a Jeff Bagwell with the stats of Lee Tinsley on the back. Also a couple mint Derek Jeter RCs and the Juan Gonzales card where his number 19 is backwards,among others. But the majority were worthless. Good luck!

My understanding is that so many of those 80s-90s era cards were produced that there,s still pallets of them stored in warehouses. I have several hundred of my son,s from that time and they,re just taking up space I could use. I do have one of those with the dude holding a bat with the words ----face written on it,I think it was one of the Ripkens.It,s neat and an oddity but Last time I checked not especially valuable

Damn, you guys are killing me. I could’ve done better at the roulette table. What about the fact that Tony Siragusa died yesterday? Would that do anything to the value of his cards? Is it worth searching for one in my pile?

This was an impulse buy and a crapshoot.I know virtually nothing about sports or sports trading cards. Except that, in the 1980s and 90s, they were heavily mass produced. These cards are from that era. Question- Is there a legitimate market for these cards today, and are there any specific cards that are notably valuable that I could search for? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes... Some of the cards are worth some bucks if you have it graded and it comes back as a 9.5 or 10. If the corners are bent or off-center cut then its pretty much as good as garbage.
There is a Beckett or Becket card book,,, that gives the values of cards/decks/etc.. can't remember the exact name. Pick out the good cards and if they are "perfect" condition send them in to be graded. For example.. a common Jordan or Gretzky card graded a 10 will sell for $300-$800.
Be warned though.. if it comes back graded a 9 or less it will sell for chump change. The grading # is everything

Back
Top Bottom