Updated 6/29: Minelab USA Service Experience, Completed

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Early in May I started noticing a pronounced change in the performance of my 3.5 year old Minelab Equinox - to make a long story short, medium depth high-conductive coin targets that used to have reasonably stable TIDs were suddenly indicating wild fluctuations and extensive “up-averaging” (US zinc pennies reading 20-30, dimes in the upper 20s to mid-30s, for example) in the dirt. I tried several troubleshooting methods with no success, including enlisting the generous help of fellow forum member and Equinox user Dan B. to compare targets and swap coils.

Just for information purposes, I’m posting a timeline of my service experience so far:

Friday, 5/27: Contacted Minelab support regarding the issue. Phone calls were answered by an automated phone tree, so I wrote a detailed email, which ultimately triggered an automated email response within an hour from Minelab explaining how to create a ticket number and submit the detector for repair or service. I successfully created a ticket number, and boxed up my control pod and 11” coil for evaluation.

Saturday, 5/28: Took the box to the post office for mailing to the Minelab’s Pennsylvania service facility, “Detector Center”.

Tuesday, 5/31: Received what appears to be a semi-automated email from Detector Center, stating that they received my equipment for evaluation and repair. Woohoo! Kudos to the post office for speedy delivery over a holiday weekend! But after that, nothing for awhile as my detector waited its turn…

Wednesday, 6/15: After over 2 weeks and not hearing anything, I called Detector Center. I called almost first thing in the morning and got a human being immediately. He was quickly able to look up my ticket, and confirmed that no one had looked at my detector yet. I was very polite and asked if he could give me an idea where my detector was in the overall queue, and he stated that he was sure someone would be looking at it “within the next few days” since it had already been two weeks. At one point during the call I got disconnected, and was impressed that the gentleman I was talking to immediately called me back. He spent a little time talking about the process with me, that they don’t rush things so they can be sure to get things right, etc. Overall, a very pleasant conversation despite not getting any specific news about my machine.

Wednesday, 6/22, AM: Phone call in the morning to Detector Center, and again spoke with Mike. Extremely pleasant conversation, and Mike confirmed that no work has started on my machine. He gave me the information for another specific individual to contact if I don't get any additional information by the end of today, and that individual will be able to give a much more accurate estimate of timing for my machine. I know that sounds like a brush off to read it, but in the context of the full conversation, I'm satisfied. Again, I don't care so much about the actual time it takes - I'm just interested in knowing a reasonable approximation for planning purposes, and ensuring that my machine hasn't somehow fallen through the cracks. Anyway, I'll likely wait until Friday to call the other individual, if necessary.

Wednesday, 6/22, PM: Received notification that my control pod and coil had been both bench tested and field tested versus an in-house Equinox 800 with equal settings. Turns out that the machine performed as expected throughout the testing, including buried targets. However, the tester mentioned they will retain the unit for further testing in case it's an intermittent issue (it didn't seem to be intermittent for me, but I very much appreciate the thoroughness). The report did note that there was "a small crack in the battery compartment above the screw mount for the battery bung. This would be a leaking point for the unit if taken in the water and submerged." I'll look forward to getting further info as they continue to evaluate the unit.

Thursday, 6/23: Received notification that additional testing was performed on my unit. The tester left my unit running for a few hours on the bench, then took it out in the field to test versus the in-house EQ800 again. It appears he actually took the machines out to test “in the wild” targets as opposed to a test garden, as his report stated that “I found a small, weaker target for testing” that seemed closer to the edge of detection range. The in-house detector gave a fairly solid TID and hit the target 9/10 times; my unit varied more widely in TID and only hit the target 6/10 times. He mentioned swapping coils to verify it as a control pod issue. Anyway, final diagnosis is “a slight loss of detection depth and more wide spread VDI numbers” compared to their in-house unit. I’m not sure if the extra run time played a role, or if it was the deeper, in-the-wild target vs. a recently buried test garden that made the difference, but at least the issue duplicated for them, and I know I’m not crazy :yes: They’ve offered to sell me a new control pod at $429. I’m out of warranty, so I expected all repairs/replacements to be on me, and I assumed a control pod replacement was likely when I sent the unit in to begin with. I sent a response back accepting the purchase of a new pod - it resolves both the performance issue I was concerned about and the crack I didn’t know I had, restores my confidence in my machine, and gives me a reset on the 3-year warranty. I’ll continue to update until I receive the new pod and my original coil back from Detector Center.

Thursday, 6/24: Had a series of communications with the tester at Detector Center today via email/online portal, including the invoice for payment. Also, the tester verified operation of the new control pod coupled with my coil against the in-house EQ800 over the same deeper target from yesterday - he noted good number grouping and target acquisition just like the test unit. In response to one of my questions, the tester confirmed that the pod would come with its own brand new battery, so they're even sending back the battery from my old unit - nice since it's also new (I replaced the battery as part of my own troubleshooting before sending the unit to them). A little later I received notification that the package was being shipped with a USPS Priority Mail 2-day shipping tracking number! So it looks like I'll be back in business as early as Monday!

Wednesday, 6/29: Post Office delivered the package containing my new control pod this morning! Included in the package with the pod were my old coil of course, plus the battery that I recently purchased for my old pod, and a multiple page print out from the online portal which logs all communications and testing notes. I was surprised to see that they even salvaged my old control pod screen protector - peeled it off and sent it back! I’ve got a new one that I plan to use, but cool that they made the effort - it just shows an impressive attention to detail. The package was sent by USPS Priority Mail - it wasn’t picked up by USPS from Detector Center until Monday 6/27, and it arrived first thing this morning, so total ship time was about 2 days from western PA to northwest OH. Be aware that I did need to sign for the package, so if you can’t be home for delivery, you may end up needing to pick it up at the post office if you ever need to do a similar repair.

Detector Center does provide a convenient online portal you can log into and track the progress of the repair based on your individual ticket number. The system seems well designed, and was updated right away each time the status changed. I also received emails with the same information with each status update. Pretty impressive and transparent process. Overall, I'm pleased with the service and responsiveness of the staff at Detector Center. Although it took a few weeks before they could get to my unit, I think that was largely a factor of hitting them at a peak repair season. Patience was rewarded with diligent service and a positive outcome, and that's the real goal anyway.

So that’s it, my repair/replacement scenario on my machine is complete, and it was a very satisfactory experience overall. Took about a full month from door to door, which isn’t bad considering it’s probably one of their busiest periods. Hopefully this timeline will help future Minelab support customers understand the process or know what to expect in the future.

Last edited:
I'll let you in on a secret... I run a business.. repairs are a pain in the ass, especially ones under warranty.. you don't make any $ on those. And im sure he does not like doing the repairs, he just does them as part of his agreement to import their products ( im guessing thats the arrangement)

You have to unbox the customers package, hope it didn't get damaged, keep track of it, repair it.. and many times once you repair something, another part of it will break, then repackage it, and ship it back. From a business perspective, this is time consuming, and costs me $, unless I charge some super high repair charge. it's much easier to make $ shipping finished products in a box out. They probably think like I do, just buy another one. And the customer always calling to see if its fixed ( so we make a complex voice mail tree to waste your time). And if I knew you posted this on here, in hopes of rushing me, I would be even more "unhappy". When I'm unhappy, things slow down. It's hard to find employees.

I'm not being rude, but this is how he probably thinks. Now, as a fellow pilot I would give you priority :).

The only thing that will get that importers attention is if you contact their headquarters, New Zealand or wherever it is, and complain, and then they will contact that US distributor. He'll listen to the manufacture more than you!

I'll let you in on a secret... I run a business.. repairs are a pain in the ass, especially ones under warranty.. you don't make any $ on those. And im sure he does not like doing the repairs, he just does them as part of his agreement to import their products ( im guessing thats the arrangement)

Actually, Minelab has a REPAIR center here in the US. It is all they do, so I'm sure they don't hate doing repairs.

That said, I get the feeling they are a pretty small shop, so they may be overwhelmed at this time. I've had 2 experiences with them. In December I sent in my coil and control unit. I initiated my ticket on-line on Dec 10th, the item was replaced and sent back on Dec 17th. Pretty amazing I thought.

This month, I had to send in my ML80 headphones. I initiated the ticket on June 6th, I took a couple days to pack and send it - they received it on the 13th. The headphones were replaced and I received them on the 17th.

So I don't know, maybe my headphones got in the way of your item. :lol:

Sorry you're having a bad experience with them AMT. But I have been really impressed with the 2 times I've dealt with them. Also, I haven't ever called them, but when I've needed to communicate with them, I've just emailed them and they were always quick to respond.

This is the busy season for detecting.
Many people just got their detector out of storage and it was not working correctly.
The time frame you are experiencing is not typical for that company.

Ben, both my 800s have been doing that for years. Got my first one in Feb. of 18. Sent it back in Apr. because it was Iding nickels at 25. They replaced it. Almost always the coppers ring in the high 30s and if I work the signal a bit it will drop to the mid-twenties. But lately they have been holding in the high 30s without much fluctuation.
My guess is they will tell you they couldn't find an thing wrong. But beings it out of warranty they might recommend a replacement.
I think the crazy Ids are just part of multi freq. I was hoping Nokta or XP would remedy that but from what I have seen none of them can tell a dime from a penny. By the way, if one of my 800s take a dump, not sure I would replace it with another 800.
Anyway good luck and keep us posted. I hope you have a back up machine. Mark

Actually, Minelab has a REPAIR center here in the US. It is all they do, so I'm sure they don't hate doing repairs.

This is correct - here’s a direct quote from their website home page: “Our primary focus is the repair of Minelab metal detectors as their USA Authorized Service Center. We service products for Minelab that are both in and out of warranty.” Maybe they might get a very occasional outside brand detector from someone locally who’d rather walk in than send their machine off to a distant repair facility, but my understanding is that they exist to service Minelab machines.

That said, I get the feeling they are a pretty small shop, so they may be overwhelmed at this time.

Yes, I definitely get that feeling as well. Through the automated emails and my phone conversations (this morning now also) I’m seeing and hearing the same names repeated. Absolutely nothing wrong with them being small - in fact, I think that offers many advantages in terms of pride in workmanship and customer service. I’m convinced that I genuinely happened to hit them during a particularly heavy time.

D@mn your headphones, CMG!! I blame you!! ;) :lol:

Sorry you're having a bad experience with them AMT. But I have been really impressed with the 2 times I've dealt with them. Also, I haven't ever called them, but when I've needed to communicate with them, I've just emailed them and they were always quick to respond.

No, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad experience at all, I’ve just had a different expectation (maybe an unrealistic one?) of the evaluation/repair timeframe. Maybe I need to modify my OP to more clearly state that I’m not dissatisfied - I’m just sharing my experience. I’m certainly not posting it in an attempt to rush the repair as the other poster suggested - I’m not passive-aggressive that way. Communication with the folks at Detector Center has been easy - each phone call got me to a human pretty easily, and Mike is extremely personable. My conversations with him leave me with little doubt my detector repair will be handled expertly. I’m glad to hear you had two very good experiences with them - it adds to my confidence as well.

That said, I get the feeling they are a pretty small shop, so they may be overwhelmed at this time. I've had 2 experiences with them. In December I sent in my coil and control unit. I initiated my ticket on-line on Dec 10th, the item was replaced and sent back on Dec 17th. Pretty amazing I thought.

This month, I had to send in my ML80 headphones. I initiated the ticket on June 6th, I took a couple days to pack and send it - they received it on the 13th. The headphones were replaced and I received them on the 17th.

Detector Center
188 Oak Shade Rd, Pleasantville, PA 15521

Ford Bedford Metal Detector
190 Oak Shade Rd, Pleasantville, PA 15521

Same guy owns both places... I would not really call it as "Thats all they do"

I've imported and exported lots of products, and one of the big trouble areas is "repair". The manufacture always try to throw the repairs onto the dealers/importers, and they don't want to pay anything.

I called Fort Bedford Metal Detector, the guy was very reluctant to admit he owned both, he hesitated when asked. He first said it's a totally different "company"

When you do a google map on the address, it's just some private home, with a garage in the back. Thats your "Repair Center"

He blabbered on about how he doesn't do the repairs, but "experts" do it. Translation, at best he has some kid in the neighborhood making $10 / hour a couple days a week, switching components.

He said they are 2 weeks behind.

Here is a picture of the House and chicken coop in his yard AKA "Detector Center"

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 319
This is the busy season for detecting.
Many people just got their detector out of storage and it was not working correctly.
The time frame you are experiencing is not typical for that company.

Good point, atomicbrh. And that’s the definite impression I’m getting after the conversation with them today - I’m convinced not only that they are currently swamped, but also that it’s an unusual occurrence.

I plan to call again tomorrow, with the goal being to press them harder about exactly where my machine is in the repair queue so I have a better idea what to expect in terms of wait time - are there 2 detectors in line ahead of me, or 20?

So those are the facts as I know them to date. I won’t pass any judgement until the evaluation/repair process is complete, other than that I admit to being surprised at how long it’s taking for anyone to even look at the problem.

I want to prepare you. If your pod is 3.5 years old and it is broken inside the pod, NO REPAIRS are done on the pods. The only option is to offer you a replacement at $420.

At least this is what they told me!

Ben, both my 800s have been doing that for years. Got my first one in Feb. of 18. Sent it back in Apr. because it was Iding nickels at 25. They replaced it. Almost always the coppers ring in the high 30s and if I work the signal a bit it will drop to the mid-twenties. But lately they have been holding in the high 30s without much fluctuation.
My guess is they will tell you they couldn't find an thing wrong. But beings it out of warranty they might recommend a replacement.
I think the crazy Ids are just part of multi freq. I was hoping Nokta or XP would remedy that but from what I have seen none of them can tell a dime from a penny. By the way, if one of my 800s take a dump, not sure I would replace it with another 800.
Anyway good luck and keep us posted. I hope you have a back up machine. Mark

Yes, agreed Mark - I’ve always had to “work” deeper targets to get good numbers, and I’ve always had the occasional wheat penny that would read like a quarter (again, a deeper target). But in this case, it was sudden - actually mid-hunt, and for relatively shallow targets. For the first 20 minutes, I was getting solid 26-28 clad dimes at 4-5”, then suddenly dimes and copper cents at that depth were running between 24-35. They all air tested fine out of the hole. I thought it was something with the ground or EMI until the problem continued for the next couple weeks even at previously hunted locations.

Anyways, I’ll be ok with them offering me a new control pod…I think the current rate is somewhere around $450, which would be significantlyless than a new 800. Although I’m very happy with my 800 overall, I understand you saying you wouldn’t replace yours if it crapped out. I would have preferred this machine to last until Minelab released a successor to the Equinox, but if I do end up buying a new control pod, at least I’ll be able to sell it as a machine with warranty remaining if I buy a new offering later.

Unfortunately, no back up machine, although Dan B. was kind enough to loan me his Ace 400 a couple weeks ago for a hunt together. It was fun getting reacquainted with one of my former machines…even found a nice bling ring :D I figure I’m not missing much right now anyway - it’s hot and dry with “feels like” temperatures in the triple digits. No thanks!

I plan to call again tomorrow, with the goal being to press them harder about exactly where my machine is in the repair queue so I have a better idea what to expect in terms of wait time - are there 2 detectors in line ahead of me, or 20?

So those are the facts as I know them to date. I won’t pass any judgement until the evaluation/repair process is complete, other than that I admit to being surprised at how long it’s taking for anyone to even look at the problem.

I want to prepare you. If your pod is 3.5 years old and it is broken inside the pod, NO REPAIRS are done on the pods. The only option is to offer you a replacement at $420.

At least this is what they told me!

Thanks for the prep, beachhunt! I’d be ok with the pod replacement - honestly, my assumption when sending it to them out-of-warranty was that they would end up offering to sell me a replacement pod. Not ideal - I was hoping this machine would last until I could see what new machine Minelab might come out with in the next couple years as an potential replacement, but at least I’ll have a machine with a warranty left if I chose to sell it in the future.

Last edited:
When you do a google map on the address, it's just some private home, with a garage in the back. Thats your "Repair Center"....

...Here is a picture of the House and chicken coop in his yard AKA "Detector Center"

For what it's worth, the image that you pulled off of Google Earth is old, from somewhere around September 2016. But notice there's a trackhoe and a sizeable area of disturbed earth shown in your image.

Here's a more current aerial image showing the existing structure that houses the business(es).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-112131.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-112131.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 326
For what it's worth, the image that you pulled off of Google Earth is old, from somewhere around September 2016. But notice there's a trackhoe and a sizeable area of disturbed earth shown in your image.

Here's a more current aerial image showing the existing structure that houses the business(es).

It's still in his back yard, and its not just a service center.

I've sold pricey technical equipment for medium size companies. You assume they have big elaborate facilities to test stuff, and that everything is tested. Well, thats not always the case. People would call me and ask what type of testing we did on this or that, and I would blow smoke and present an air of confidence.

In reality, this guy is working out of his house. Even if he put a new building up.

I've been there, done that, played that game,started out doing a million in sales out of my back yard, girlfriend and me would fix a few things that came in/back, but our priority was always $. And fixing was always a pain, easier to ship out a new product. And 1/2 the time when you repair an old junker, people still are not satisfied with it. So you end up with more phone calls, more wasted time.

My guess is, he's not thrilled doing repairs, except when he can talk people into buying a new unit. Labor is just to expensive to repair stuff in the USA.

It's still in his back yard, and its not just a service center.

I've sold pricey technical equipment for medium size companies. You assume they have big elaborate facilities to test stuff, and that everything is tested. Well, thats not always the case. People would call me and ask what type of testing we did on this or that, and I would blow smoke and present an air of confidence.

In reality, this guy is working out of his house. Even if he put a new building up.

I've been there, done that, played that game,started out doing a million in sales out of my back yard, girlfriend and me would fix a few things that came in/back, but our priority was always $. And fixing was always a pain, easier to ship out a new product. And 1/2 the time when you repair an old junker, people still are not satisfied with it. So you end up with more phone calls, more wasted time.

My guess is, he's not thrilled doing repairs, except when he can talk people into buying a new unit. Labor is just to expensive to repair stuff in the USA.

I'm not here to dissect his business model or compare it to my own or anyone else's. And I have no delusions about what most repair/service industry facilities are like - I don't have visions of multi-million dollar test facilities and equipment with engineers walking around in a lab coats and pocket protectors, especially for metal detectors. You should see what major service centers and top name engine overhaul facilities look like for commercial aviation. Most things in every industry are much lower tech than people imagine. That said, I don't begrudge anyone running a business out of their home - it would be the pot calling the kettle black, much as it sounds for you, too. I, personally, view it as a potentially good thing - smaller businesses tend to take more pride in their workmanship and finished product. I know I do. Based on what you've posted, I can understand how your mileage may vary and why you seem to prefer to view things negatively. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not here to dissect his business model or compare it to my own or anyone else's. And I have no delusions about what most repair/service industry facilities are like - I don't have visions of multi-million dollar test facilities and equipment with engineers walking around in a lab coats and pocket protectors, especially for metal detectors. You should see what major service centers and top name engine overhaul facilities look like for commercial aviation. Most things in every industry are much lower tech than people imagine. That said, I don't begrudge anyone running a business out of their home - it would be the pot calling the kettle black, much as it sounds for you, too. I, personally, view it as a potentially good thing - smaller businesses tend to take more pride in their workmanship and finished product. I know I do. Based on what you've posted, I can understand how your mileage may vary and why you seem to prefer to view things negatively. Different strokes for different folks.

I've had tours through American Airlines repair facilities. Got to walk inside of a huge jet, and the floor was out of it. I also know some of the people who work there, some very talented, others can't change a spark plug in a car! :) Even small repair facilities I've been to , have a boss, an office manager, and 8-10 employees. My educated guess is, he's doing the work himself, or having some kid come in and switch boards on these units , maybe only 2-3 days a week. This is just the reality of running a home business like this. This is reality.

Do you think they do enough businesss to have 3 employees and an office staff, and a shipping Dept? I don't think this industry is large enough to generate that much business.

The problem with a small operation like that is cost. I have no pride, I just want to make $. Do you think I'm going answer your phone call, work on your $50 repair, when I have maybe an order for 10 machines I can make $1500 on? If the guy gets sick at a one man operation, how ya think you'll get your detector back?

A small place like that has limited time, and that time will go towards making $, not pride, and not your repair. Unless you are a business or Gov agency who isn't so concerned about cost, then I'll write you a big bill to make it worth my time. Pride won't buy my gas.

My tip was, contact the manufacture , he'll worry about losing his rights to distribute in the USA if he does not make them happy.., more than returning your phone call!

I've had tours through American Airlines repair facilities. Got to walk inside of a huge jet, and the floor was out of it. I also know some of the people who work there, some very talented, others can't change a spark plug in a car! :) Even small repair facilities I've been to , have a boss, an office manager, and 8-10 employees. My educated guess is, he's doing the work himself, or having some kid come in and switch boards on these units , maybe only 2-3 days a week. This is just the reality of running a home business like this. This is reality.

Do you think they do enough businesss to have 3 employees and an office staff, and a shipping Dept? I don't think this industry is large enough to generate that much business.

The problem with a small operation like that is cost. I have no pride, I just want to make $. Do you think I'm going answer your phone call, work on your $50 repair, when I have maybe an order for 10 machines I can make $1500 on? If the guy gets sick at a one man operation, how ya think you'll get your detector back?

A small place like that has limited time, and that time will go towards making $, not pride, and not your repair. Unless you are a business or Gov agency who isn't so concerned about cost, then I'll write you a big bill to make it worth my time. Pride won't buy my gas.

My tip was, contact the manufacture , he'll worry about losing his rights to distribute in the USA if he does not make them happy.., more than returning your phone call!

Well, again, my intent here isn't to debate small business practices or the merits of good work ethics and its impact on short and long term business profitability, so I'll happily let you have the last word on that topic.

Thanks for the tip, but again, we'll agree to disagree...I'm not about to go beat my head against the wall trying to contact the right person at a large, faceless, overseas corporate entity such as Minelab about a minor, routine issue, when I've already established satisfactory communication with the small, local representative that has my machine in his hands. Kind of like trying to contact the FAA Administrator for my IFR clearance out of Detroit, yes? Again, I'll concede the last word on that one.

Well, again, my intent here isn't to debate small business practices or the merits of good work ethics and its impact on short and long term business profitability, so I'll happily let you have the last word on that topic.

Thanks for the tip, but again, we'll agree to disagree...I'm not about to go beat my head against the wall trying to contact the right person at a large, faceless, overseas corporate entity such as Minelab about a minor, routine issue, when I've already established satisfactory communication with the small, local representative that has my machine in his hands. Kind of like trying to contact the FAA Administrator for my IFR clearance out of Detroit, yes? Again, I'll concede the last word on that one.

You have to face the facts here. There is no possible way this can be a legit business, the repair facility is in his back yard! He has no pride and obviously hates fixing detectors. He's probably out back using your Equinox for a walking stick! :laughing: Seriously? :roll:

Yes, but repairing lawn mowers is different than repairing metal detectors. Listen, I'm not knocking you, anyone who can get a GED in small engine repair has something going for them. Yuh huh, french fried potaters with mustard, I reckon.

No one needs an expensive and large "repair facility" to repair metal detectors. You just need to know how detectors work, and how to replace some easily replaceable parts. It's not like you're repairing cars that require large bays, and huge amounts of various tools.

Just because someone repairs metal detectors from their home, doesn't mean they aren't "legit".

I have no pride, I just want to make $. Do you think I'm going answer your phone call, work on your $50 repair, when I have maybe an order for 10 machines I can make $1500 on? If the guy gets sick at a one man operation, how ya think you'll get your detector back?

How is this at all relevant to the story? No one cares here about _your_ ethics or your business, but Minelab machine owners do care about the experience others are having with getting their Minelab machines repaired.

And who cares if he is working out of is basement or a large modern facility? All we care about is if the machines are fixed or not, and what the process is.

And what actual evidence do you have that "at best he has some kid in the neighborhood making $10 / hour a couple days a week".?

Some people actually do have pride. And why are you so negative? We know, because you are a garden variety forum troll. We are not discussing you, we are (at least me), ignoring you going forward. You are uninteresting.

Good luck, and I hope you actually find stuff with your metal detector.

Back
Top Bottom