Montana gold... and silver!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
We have had thunderstorms and rain showers for the last several days here in Western Montana, so have not been able to get out to detect until a couple of hours yesterday and a couple of hours today. Did well, especially considering I didn't have a lot of time to hunt each day!

After a few commitments yesterday, I grabbed the At Pro and headed downtown to a permission and a section of curb strip that I had not yet hunted. The small yard turned out to be a bust with only some newer coins, but the parking strip yielded two Large Sterling Silver items, with what looks like ivory centerpieces, both carved with Native American scenes. One was a pendant, the other a pin. With the right light, you can see teepees, baby Indian in papoose, trees etc. I was delighted to find these, too bad that both the ivory, or perhaps bakelite inserts were broken in two. After another commitment, I happened by a small park in a nearby town, and just happened to have my detector with me.:) Started finding lots of clad, especially nickels. I kind of homed in on that signal and am glad I did, as around the old swing set I found my first gold ring of the year, a nice Black Hills Gold marked 10K-12K. Then I REALLY homed in on the 47-53 range on the At Pro! That paid off as I found another small gold ring, and another ring which when I returned home turned out to be gold plated. This small park has been hit hard as there is a guy only a half mile away that is a White's dealer. Probably why I've not found silver there ever! But... the mid tone targets and newer clad are there.

After a meeting this morning, I had a couple of hours free so drove around town looking for freshly mowed lawns and folks home! Got permission at a home with a large yard, not super old probably 1940's, but good enough. Targets were not thick, but I did get a Silver Rosie, 7-8 Wheaties, and a silver spill with a 1920's Mercury dime and undated Standing Liberty quarter. I nicked the top of the quarter with my lesche, and felt bad about that.

Anyway, grateful to get out a bit yesterday and today, and happy to have made some good finds! Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• dig2.jpg
    dig2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 391
  • dig1.jpg
    dig1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 350
  • dig6.jpg
    dig6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 335
  • dig4.jpg
    dig4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 351
  • dig5.jpg
    dig5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 338
  • dig3.jpg
    dig3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 337
Wow! Great day of digging! Congrats on the old gold and silver.

Very nice finds - Those sterling pieces are interesting. Looks like one pendant. and one pin? Odd how the marks are hand-drawn on the one.

Thanks for the comments! And DougF, yes, one is a pin and one a pendant. Both made by "T F" as marked on the back side. Will do a bit of research to find out if he/she is Native American jeweler. And the more I think about it, the inserts are probably carved elk or deer horn.

Congrats,At pro is no slouch. Don't you love how easy it is to hear the solid tones of gold rings?
Nice silver haul too!

Thank you metaladdict! Yes, the AT Pro hits hard on the nickels and mid tones. Those rings were a solid 50-51 on the Black Hills Gold, and solid 47-48 on the other two rings. Trash usually varies quite a bit on the digital readout, but these were steady and needed to be dug!

Back
Top Bottom