Create your own cache--What would you do?

Been thinking about the container problem. How about PVC capped at both ends?

Whenever I am planning an MD trip to an old park, I will take along a 35mm
film canister, one of those plastic ones. I sometimes put a bunch of Zincolns
zinc pennies, or some 79 cents or what ever, Write a note something to the effect of the Day and year, who I am, and what I was doing when I burried it.
Then I will either use clear Silicone caulk, or super glue, an dglue it closed.
Then whenever I am MD ing and I already have a hold dug, I'll drop it in and
cover it up.:cool:
Hopefully someday in the future another MD'er will go to that park, and find it and contact me.:lol:

When I was 8 years old I buried a small cache. I am now 36 years old.
I put it all in a small coffee can. I cant remember everything I put in it but a handful of change, a golf ball and maybe some other toys or something. I cant remember.
I do know exactly where it is though if i ever go back. Hopefully itll still be there.
I dug a hole about 1 foot deep in the woods near our house, filled the hole and put a very large rock I found in the area on top to mark it. It was also next to one of the biggest trees in the area. Pretty sure I could walk right to it now.
I dont really wanna go back now but I like thinking about it still being there.
Maybe take my kids there sometime and dig it up.

Kansas. The 2 books are A Century in Kansas(Adams-Kimbrel Family) and Memories of West Hopewell(History of a Community). Both are books written about my families history in Kansas. They settled just south of Dodge City in 1885 and helped build the Hopewell Township.

The coppies in the library are not the only ones with the clues *wink*

Those books will be in my personal library soon enough...:D

How to hide a cache.....

If any of you have read the thread on geocaching you might have seen my previous post. If not you can look it up.

Most of the geocaches hidden are right where the coordinates lead you. For those more difficult or disguised like a rock, there are usually clues that help narrow down what you are looking for.

But there is one class of geocaches that usually are NOT at the posted coords. They are called Mystery or Puzzle caches. You have to figure out the puzzle or do some other research to solve it then fit the info found into a new set of coords, where the cache actually IS!

I like the idea of taking the time to create a lost treasure story of your own, with or without maps or other picture clues, then hiding it in a metal detecting book in your library. The hardest part is first finding that perfect hiding spot. The second is working backwards in the story and making it challenging enough to maintain the interest all the way to the final find. It can also be a series of finds revealing more clues along the way.

In the geocaching world we prefer the genuine Tupperware for its' ability to seal better than rubbermaid or other imitators. And the place where you might bury this cache should just get normal or minimal wetness and be placed so any normal moisture can go down the sides rather than into the sealing edge.

Anyways, just a few ideas and what I might do.

Steve

a few years ago in surrey uk i was detecting in some big woods not far from gatwick airport, and i found a well hidden metal box so opened it up and to my surprise it was full of little messages, different curency and stuff from all over the world,usa japan canada north euro ,i couldn,t belive it lol as it was pretty deep in the wooods,there was pens n paper so i left a little message and put some old coins i had found in, i cant realy remember what i wrote it was something like, freindly treasure hunter says hi, loool ,
i have slowly been filling up a, pastis ,ricard, mega magnum bottle with euro coppers its around a third full so far and i hope to bury it one day :yes:

I actualy buried a time capsule when I was a kid back in 1974,I buried it about three feet down in my back yard next to a big tree(it was the only tree in the back yard. The address was 839 N.Concourse dr.Cliffwood Beach,NJ.
If you find it I want my GI Joe back.There might be a buck and some loose change in it.

I would put a picture of the statue of liberty in the time capsule so those darn dirty apes would know what they had done!!!:lol:

Great Idea for my kids

That is a great idea I just talked it over with my wife and she thinks it's a great idea also. So we are going to get some PVC with some end caps and get it ready to bury it. I will let the kids put their things in it, so that when we move from this house or the kids get old enough they can dig it back up and see what they put in it. I will put all sorts of things in it, lord knows what the kids will put in it but I'm sure it will be something they will love to see when they get older. Thanks for the great idea.

That is a great idea I just talked it over with my wife and she thinks it's a great idea also. So we are going to get some PVC with some end caps and get it ready to bury it. I will let the kids put their things in it, so that when we move from this house or the kids get old enough they can dig it back up and see what they put in it. I will put all sorts of things in it, lord knows what the kids will put in it but I'm sure it will be something they will love to see when they get older. Thanks for the great idea.

Sounds like a good idea, For smaller storage what about a big Prescription Bottle super glued? Maybe for just change and smaller things, notes small pictures. I think I might have to try it out bury it and try to find it like 10 years from now. lol

God know I have a crap load of Pull Tabs to. My last hunt I had 46 from the beach. lol

now you have an idea of what can you do with them :D

now seriously, its interesting the idea of the cache, putting a message with the treasure (little treasure)

now you have an idea of what can you do with them :D

now seriously, its interesting the idea of the cache, putting a message with the treasure (little treasure)

Well I have been saving them in a 2LT Coke bottle. I should wait until its full then bury it some where. By the way I am going I should have the bottle filled in no time. lol

Well I have been saving them in a 2LT Coke bottle. I should wait until its full then bury it some where. By the way I am going I should have the bottle filled in no time. lol

Instead of wasting that, wash them a little bit and send them to a local school or collection center where they do the charity that involves collecting those. HH
NC

Instead of wasting that, wash them a little bit and send them to a local school or collection center where they do the charity that involves collecting those. HH
NC

Well that was the first reason why I was saving them to begin with as my step kids have that going on at there school, There trying to fill up a couple of those 5 Gallon Water jugs, I can probably fill one up by myself. Ft. Lauderdale Beach is Full of Tabs.

Well that was the first reason why I was saving them to begin with as my step kids have that going on at there school, There trying to fill up a couple of those 5 Gallon Water jugs, I can probably fill one up by myself. Ft. Lauderdale Beach is Full of Tabs.

That's good that their school does that, it's a good cause.

Oh yea, you'll have no problem finding them at a beach! :roll: HH
NC

I did about 10 years ago. After having so much fun finding stuff I decided I'd give some back. I took some of my best finds from over the years and buried it. The box contains more than $2,000 just in old coins. Quite a few local people know about it and have been looking for it. I put two clues to the treasure in two books in our public library.

Wow! Sounds like I need to go on vacation to Kansas. Have you swung a coil over it to make sure it is still there lately?

I have done some geocaching. Made 199 caches in less then 2 years. Now, hiding is very very easy. The difficult part is... finding the cache, again.

And make a cache, so that SOMEONE ELSE is able to find it.

Now, try to do this 199 times.... :P

No detector needed, just a GPS unit...

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium (199 caches MADE, 199 caches ACTIVE TODAY)

This sounds like a very interesting off shoot to treasure hunting, I was gonna get into it early in the year with my son but things sort of changed am still very interested. Some of the members from the club I'm in have found geocaches while metal detecting, they signed the log and returned it to it's location. I can imagine doing this cache 199 times, must have a lot of ideas :yes:
Keep at it and HH,
~Audiz~

My dad, who is 70, is really into geocaching. My mom knows when he's getting ready to go out hunting when he sits in front of his computer all day being real quiet, then come out the next morning with a handful of printouts and his GPS.
He's become good enough at the computer to post and retrieve info on the geocache site, and for a non-high school grad of his age, I think that's something.
He makes and hides caches too. He drills out logs, puts a pvc pipe in them, then fits a plug over the opening. He also makes fake boulders by spraying expanding foam over plastic coffee containers,rolling them in gravel and dirt, then aging them under shrubs in his yard until he's ready to hide them.
It keeps him physically and mentally active, and (mostly) out of trouble.
It works for a lot of people, and gives them a community of people to correspond with, same as here.
Personally, I'd rather go out day after day looking for "real" hidden treasure and come home empty handed than bag several caches in a day, but different strokes, baby,

That's Wonderful :yes: to be able to be active like that. He sounds like a very Creative person, hope I'm like that in 20 years.
HH,
~Audiz~

Back
Top Bottom