View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by somevermontdude View post
Hello!

I am currently using a borrowed White's MXT tracker e-series eclipse 950 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxkTBclaTyw) detector from someone unlikely to use it again, which is doing the job nicely it seems. However, I do have issues with it where it'll detect something, and I start digging, and the signal completely goes away, with the Garrett pinpointer confirming that, making it a false reading. Considering I do my detecting in the woods, dealing with roots and stuff, it can get pretty frustrating.

I've been trying to find what makes more modern detectors like the XP Deus or a Garrett different than my now older MXT, but outside of appearing that they do a better job at prospecting (which I have no interest in), have better depth, and are lighter (which isn't an issue for me), I'm not finding a lot. Is it worth investing in something more modern? What do they offer that the MXT doesn't? The MXT still seems really solid from what I've read, but am looking for any input folks may have. I'm willing to upgrade if it makes sense. Would I still encounter these "false positive" issues?
The MXT has been used by many over the years, found a ton, many still use them.
Had a few different models over the years but all seek to work pretty well as an all around tool for finding most things we look for.
Lots of info, manuals and reviews online...
https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...50-user-guide/

As far as those false signals, sorry...we all get them on most detectors from time to time from vintage to the most modern.
I have a Equinox, one of the newer very popular models, friends hunt with a Deus, AT Pros and other friends with other brands and models, we all get them...especially in my rough dirt.

Iron can cause this sometimes, it should be low but it can wraparound and come in high and the iron doesn't even need to be under the coil, it can be a few inches away or deep.

A few clues and tips to help you...

If you have a pinpointer on the MXT, (not sure), or use any detector with a pinpoint feature if you think you know the area where the target is but you pinpoint and see something that is a few inches away from that spot instead it is probably iron and falsing.

False high tones sometimes don't sound the same as real high to be targets...more "sqeaky" and not so solid.

As I mentioned in my dirt I get these all the time, it is infested with actual iron and the mineralized soil is black dirt mixed with red oxide clay, sometimes I get some pretty good signals that pinpoint great and sound decent but open a hole and...nothing.
I used to dig empty holes like you but I got tired of it so now I do this.
If I get a signal I am not sure of I simply stick my digger in the dirt next to that signal a few inches deep like I was going to dig a plug but I don't.
I just pull the blade back a bit and lift the dirt up slightly and rescan.
Doing this breaks what we call the "Iron Halo", which is what can happen when iron sits in one place too long and rusts.
9 out of ten times in the rescan the high tone reverts to total iron or the signal disappears completely which tells me the signal was false and triggered by something else in the vicinity but not where I thought that target was...or just the dirt did it.
If I went after that signal I would have found nothing but now I just tamp the dirt back into place and move on.
Saved me a ton of time, energy and frustration opening up empty holes.

You already do this on these signals but you go to far, instead of breaking that halo and then checking again you continue to dig the hole and then get frustrated when nothing is there.
Don't do that anymore, just do it the way I do with one slit, break up the dirt a bit and rescan before you go all in and open the hole.
It works, you'll see.

2 members found this post helpful.