Interesting finds from an 1860's site

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
Somebody was saying there wasn't much posted in the Stories and Pictures of Finds so here is something.

Here in the Midwest there are opportunities to detect in places where only one household ever lived. I was able to locate the residence of Irish immigrant Charles Clifford. This man was a shoemaker, father of more than 5 kids and veteran of the civil war. Having fought for the 12th Illinois infantry, he would have been involved with some of the earliest combat. This company was known for their characteristic flat hats. After looking at the federal census of 1870 it appears that Charles bailed on his family after having a 1-year-old. A later census shows him living in the next town over with completely different kids and no mother in the household. It’s impossible to tell what happened but I wonder how much of this chaos was related to the traumatic stress the veterans experienced when they returned home. He apparently went back to being a poor shoe maker and had less than 500 dollars to his name. The coin is interesting because 1865 was the year he returned home. The gold button likely belonged to one of his daughters listed on the census. Also of interest is the horseshoe which is actually a small pony shoe. He wasn't a farmer so I think that pony was the family pet. Lastly is was amazing being able to detect a place where only one household ever lived; they left very little behind.

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 436
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 429
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 440
  • D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 421
  • E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 430
  • F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 426
  • G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 422
  • H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 429
  • I1.jpg
    I1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 425
I like finding those old toe-taps. Got to be some more old coins lurking nearby !

Wow. Nice historic finds. That looks like a crotal bell,

That's what I find so interesting about detecting, finding something and thinking about who it belonged to, how it had been used or spent.

That's what I find so interesting about detecting, finding something and thinking about who it belonged to, how it had been used or spent.

Exactly. I get more enjoyment in finding historical artifacts than I do silver coins.

Steve

Great post, Country Dirt Kid. One of the best I've read. Thank you. I, too, enjoy the research and do the best I can with learning about the old homesteads I detect here in Northwest Indiana.

Great post! I've got something coming up that's pretty good so hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the stories section too.

Back
Top Bottom