Black man's face on a jar in the creek

pplinker

Forum Supporter
I thought it might be a peanut butter jar honoring George Washington Carver. But it isn't a peanut butter jar. The bottom patent number revealed it is a Lucky Joe Louis Nash mustard jar from the 30's. These can be worth 25.00 but that would probably be with a lid....

Attachments

• DSC00404.JPG
    DSC00404.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 826
  • DSC00406.JPG
    DSC00406.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 827
  • DSC00408.JPG
    DSC00408.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 826
  • DSC00407.JPG
    DSC00407.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 809
I have not dug one of those either (yet) but would love to. Rarely will the lids by any good on a dug one but it can happen. I like digging the old shave cream jars (Barbasol/Burma-Shave/Palmolive etc) but the lids are usually crappola. So I buy 'em at auctions.

Thanks for the replies. Just a little luck instead of the beer bottles and broken sodas I usually find.

How cool is that! Geo Washington Carver was an impressive person....So was Joe Louis....Both changed the World...Carver as a botanist, and Louis as a pugilist...Carver of course invented peanut butter, and Louis butter faced Max Schmeling...in the war of way back...

Congrats on a nice find . I would have never guessed that jar was supposed to represent the likeness of Joe Louis .

Attachments

• IMG_1148 (2) (640x609).jpg
    IMG_1148 (2) (640x609).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 696
Congrats on a nice find . I would have never guessed that jar was supposed to represent the likeness of Joe Louis .

Me neither! He didnt have a Glass Jaw at all! I could understand it if Joe Louis served in the Marine Corps as your typical 'Jar Head', that would make some sense...but no, he served in the Army...Maybe back then everybody was classified as a Jar Head until further notice??

Grunts didnt come along until way later? Like after a Jarhead accidentally mated with a Swabbie? But no, that hybrid would be a Seal right? Or a cook? Or a recruiter?...? :laughing:

I found this figural mustard jar earlier this year. I got the happy version. It also came in a frowning version. These were often used as coin banks after the mustard(hot dog sauce they called it) was gone. Pretty cool find!

Attachments

• DSCN6426.jpg
    DSCN6426.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN6427.jpg
    DSCN6427.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 622

Yeah Joe Lewis was a pretty good looking guy. From the pics of these jars on e-bay apparently the jar came with the lips painted bright red. That's just wrong. Nobody has bright red lips, that was just trying to belittle him. He worked hard to get to the top.

Sorry for any problems my post caused. I'm thinking it was unnecessary to say "a black man's face." After all what difference does that make.. I apologize.

I found this figural mustard jar earlier this year. I got the happy version. It also came in a frowning version. These were often used as coin banks after the mustard(hot dog sauce they called it) was gone. Pretty cool find!

Nice, Foragist! I'd like to have both kinds.

............apparently the jar came with the lips painted bright red......

I've seen antique glass Aunt Jemima syrup bottles painted like that. It'd be racist today. I found a few pics of different versions of the bottle with a google search, but I'm not gonna' link any of them. LOL

Back
Top Bottom