Mega coins in one hole.....and more!

stetam

Elite Member
Decided to get out today for a bit since it's been awhile due to dry ground and went to a 1940 pool that I had taken partyofone and his daughter to a couple months ago. The place had given up a couple Merc's, and IHP and some silver rings before but what I found today was bizarre. It's very hard to hunt as it's the site of two 1840's hot-blast anthracite furnaces so the soil is highly mineralized to the point everything rings up 38-40 on the Nox. Today was no different. First find was an aluminum good luck token with a name on it so hopefully I can find the previous owner. Second target signal was jumping from 10-40, all over the place. I lifted the coil and figured it was big iron but decided to dig it out of curiosity. 5" down my pinpointer goes crazy so I'm thinking just dig this iron and move on. Then I reach down, pull out a clump of dirt and see 4 pennies stuck together. Yes......coin spill! Back in the hole I go and keep pulling coins. For 45 minutes I kept pulling up coins, along with a piece of broken harmonica reed, a flat and copper button, a parking meter token, gold plated men's ring and some pool tags and pins. Deeper I dig and out come a 72 Kennedy half, my first ever half dollar. At about 9" I see shiny. A 1927S Merc. Getting better. A few more pennies, nickels and dimes come up as I dig deeper. Under a couple small roots I see more shiny! 1944 Walking Liberty half, my first ever silver half dollar! I keep checking for more, pull a couple clad and some old rusty nails and decide to call it a day. In total there were 83 coins in this small hole. I'm curious at why this crazy combination of stuff was there and why did someone bury it? Most of the coins were 70's-80's with only two wheat pennies and three 1940's nickels.

Once again, it paid off to dig those wacky jumpy signals!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 738
Maybe the guy who's name is on the token finally emptied his ashtray. IDK. That is a strange but very cool coin spill Steve. Congrats on the Walker, Merc and wheats and the other goodies. I thought our dirt down here in Pgh was tough but that site sounds brutal. Good luck, Mark

So awesome!!! There is so much to be had at that pool, can't wait to see more come out of there. What is the ring? Looks pretty.....congrats!

Maybe the guy who's name is on the token finally emptied his ashtray. IDK. That is a strange but very cool coin spill Steve. Congrats on the Walker, Merc and wheats and the other goodies. I thought our dirt down here in Pgh was tough but that site sounds brutal. Good luck, Mark

I looked up the name on the token and the woman died in 2004

Wouldn’t you love to know the story behind how all that stuff got there?
That’s an awesome coin spill for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, amazing to pull that many coins in one spot, would love to know the back story on how they ended up there! Congrats on the halves, dimes, token, and goodies!

Could that have been a place to sit and rest, for decades? Could have been multi spills over time. Just my thougnts! Webekin

Yes, there is a hill on the one side that people would sit and watch for the past 80 years. Like I said it's hard to hunt due to being a steep hill and highly mineralized but obviously worth the effort. The pool is scheduled to be torn down so more opportunities in the future.

Attachments

• 636328768455369072-ldn-mkd-061217-pool-heat-31.jpg
    636328768455369072-ldn-mkd-061217-pool-heat-31.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 555
Back
Top Bottom