NOSEY Beachcomber gets his come-uppance

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Last week, before the big holiday, I took the detector for one last beach hunt at the State Park before detecting rights ends till after Labor Day.

There was a park worker using their new beach raker and I noticed he kept watching me. Finally he circled by me and asked if I "checked In", blah blah blah rather cocky in attitude.

I knew this could happen someday so I whipped out my DNR-issued permit which I always carry when MDing there and beamed with glee as he read it and, like magic, his demeanor got much more friendly. I bet he thought he "got me". But, I chalked it up as just another "would-be" big shot who craves power he only wishes he had. If I had been in a bad mood, I could have dared him to "turn me in!" and really make him look like a dunce. (I've been registered in the Park Office for years). :D

Attachments

• DSCN3300 dsp 5-21-21.jpg
    DSCN3300 dsp 5-21-21.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 750
I have a sneaking suspicion of how there is a "permit" issued for there in the first place. And how this yokel is "appraised" of its existence. :mad:

I wonder if the guy is as zealous at tracking down the people who leave their garbage on the beach?

Last edited:
No big deal I'm sure, since you had the required permit. Just aggravating to be bothered by people when you're just out enjoying your hobby. Hope you found something.

What was his "come-uppance"?

Maybe he was following directives/orders.

Anyway, i guess it worked out for you.

I've been going to this place since 1966 (as a park user, and MDing it for at least 20 years and I also have purchased State DNR annual passes for over 20 years) so I pretty much know how things work there. I can assure you this hourly employee (like all the trash and maintenance crews) are not paid to enforce laws. They have DNR officers nearby who do that, and even THEY don't check to see if I'm "legal" MD-wise. No, the guy was just being an ***.

I have a sneaking suspicion of how there is a "permit" issued for there in the first place. And how this yokel is "appraised" of its existence. :mad:

I can't remember when the "Special Use" permits started there, but he asked if I "checked in". I don't think he even knew about the permits.

I wonder if the guy is as zealous at tracking down the people who leave their garage on the beach?

I hope not or he wouldn't have the beach raking job, lol.

No big deal I'm sure, since you had the required permit. Just aggravating to be bothered by people when you're just out enjoying your hobby. Hope you found something.

Yeah that's about the size of it. Naw, I didn't find but some clad, as it's too early in the swimming season yet (the lake won't be warm enough to go in for another month). Our swim season in Lake Michigan is roughly late June to October.

Last week, before the big holiday, I took the detector for one last beach hunt at the State Park before detecting rights ends till after Labor Day.

There was a park worker using their new beach raker and I noticed he kept watching me. Finally he circled by me and asked if I "checked In", blah blah blah rather cocky in attitude.

I knew this could happen someday so I whipped out my DNR-issued permit which I always carry when MDing there and beamed with glee as he read it and, like magic, his demeanor got much more friendly. I bet he thought he "got me". But, I chalked it up as just another "would-be" big shot who craves power he only wishes he had. If I had been in a bad mood, I could have dared him to "turn me in!" and really make him look like a dunce. (I've been registered in the Park Office for years). :D

Great post. It is obvious that your park worker does not want you to find the valuables with your metal detector before he can find them with his beach raker that was purchased with tax dollars. The valuables (rings, smartphones, coins, clad etc.) that he is supposed to be taking out of the raker and turning in to Lost and Found are going into his front pocket instead. Most every park worker that runs off some md hobbyist off is not really concerned about holes but that the detectorist will pick up the good items before they can. So, the park worker is going to be the only person "detecting" with his giant government sponsored machine from now until after the Labor Day holiday? This does not sound fair.

i So, the park worker is going to be the only person "detecting" with his giant government sponsored machine from now until after the Labor Day holiday? This does not sound fair.

10-4 That's one way of looking at it. Those rakes only catch the bigger stuff, and I have found they fluff up the sand and bring coins and stuff up near the surface. The state and DNR make the rules so I just do what's allowed. I think people sneak in after dark and MD the beach as it doesn't produce like it used to years ago.

.... I think people sneak in after dark and MD the beach as it doesn't produce like it used to years ago.

There's a certain federal beach, on the CA coast, that has some supposed rule forbidding md'ing . Totally ridiculous rule, as there's nothing historic there. And you can't harm a beach with a detector, blah blah

And I've heard that you'd be hard-pressed to get scrammed here. Oddly, some people have unknowingly gone for even up to a year, before ever hearing so much as "boo" from anyone .

But like you say, some locals have figured out that there's no one there at night . So people have detected at night. When there's simply no park persons there. I don't think the beach is "off-limits" at night (since you'd see couples on romantic night strolls, etc...).

This beach is not near my part of CA. So this isn't me. :roll: And I'm sure they wouldn't apply the same logic to an obvious historic monument (which we can all agree needs protections). BUT A BEACH FOR PETE'S SAKE ??

You should have captured his reaction! Great post, I love it when people are corrected when they think they can just walk up and bonk us on our heads when we did nothing.

Josh

There's a certain federal beach, on the CA coast, that has some supposed rule forbidding md'ing . Totally ridiculous rule, as there's nothing historic there. And you can't harm a beach with a detector, blah blah

And I've heard that you'd be hard-pressed to get scrammed here. Oddly, some people have unknowingly gone for even up to a year, before ever hearing so much as "boo" from anyone .

But like you say, some locals have figured out that there's no one there at night . So people have detected at night. When there's simply no park persons there. I don't think the beach is "off-limits" at night (since you'd see couples on romantic night strolls, etc...).

This beach is not near my part of CA. So this isn't me. :roll: And I'm sure they wouldn't apply the same logic to an obvious historic monument (which we can all agree needs protections). BUT A BEACH FOR PETE'S SAKE ??

The whole State Park, including their beach is considered a nature preserve. There is only one area of the swim beach that swimming is allowed and that is only from Memorial Day to Labor day (when lifeguards are on duty) and if they see someone swimming outside of those parameters they come and shoo you out. Since there is a shipwreck just off the shore even the water there is a "preserve" (J.D. Marshall wreck). So we can only *legally* MD along the swim beach, and only on the offtimes of the year, but, as I said, I'm sure people are hitting it at night.

About 8 years ago, on opening MD day, they even had DNR officers on four wheelers coming up to each MDer to make sure they had their permits on them. As it was ONE day after Labor Day, nobody could be in the water and they kicked the 2 or 3 water hunters out, and they were *NOT* happy about it. That's the ONLY time I had to show "my papers".

What are these permits that are spoken of. You need them for the beach? I guess I don’t get out much.

The whole State Park, including their beach is considered a nature preserve. ......

thanx glass-hopper. And I don't doubt a rule exists. That might even *specifically* say "metal detectors" in it. And I have a sneaking suspicion of how-that-came-to-be.

But here's a silly question: How (pray-tell) do metal detectors "disturb nature" ? :?: I'm sue if you asked enough bored desk-jockeys, that someone could dream up that it somehow harms earthworms or sandcrabs, in-some-way. But just as a question here among our own ranks : How does md'ing "harm nature" ? :?:

Back
Top Bottom