Type Of Sites People Hunt....

Mike K "Ohio"

Well I've been at this for about 24 years now and its getting harder and harder sometimes almost seeming like impossible to find a good place to detect. So would anyone care to say what type of sites are still producing old coins for them?

I've always liked 1 Room Schools / Churches & Meeting Houses.. They use to be really good. But these days everyone has access to old maps on there phones and it's getting harder and harder.

I've always like hunting out in the county and in fields. Seems like everyone out there doesn't have a problem giving you permission to dig. But then follow it up with we have had several people already detect there place lol...

Was thinking about trying some old foundations or cellar holes. Anyone got a tips on how to finds these type spots?

Mike K "Ohio"

Public ground has been beat to death. Door knocking private homes/land is the final frontier of detecting.

Plenty of public land left to detect. Just go where no one else wants to go. Swampy areas, heavy underbrush, downed trees and so on. Anyone can detect a school yard or a ballfield. Nice level ground, cut grass and few obstacles to slow you down. That's why they've been done to death. Boldly go where no man has gone before and you'll be rewarded for your effort.

First question Mike...WHAT are you using? Second question...WHAT are you looking for?

Well I'm a Coin Shooter but like to dig some buttons and relics as well... I have an Equinox 800 / CTX 3030 / XP Deus

Mike K "Ohio"

Plenty of public land left to detect. Just go where no one else wants to go. Swampy areas, heavy underbrush, downed trees and so on. Anyone can detect a school yard or a ballfield. Nice level ground, cut grass and few obstacles to slow you down. That's why they've been done to death. Boldly go where no man has gone before and you'll be rewarded for your effort.

I like the way you think :)

Mike K "Ohio"

Well I'm a Coin Shooter but like to dig some buttons and relics as well... I have an Equinox 800 / CTX 3030 / XP Deus

Mike K "Ohio"

Your just over the hill from me,I’m in western Pennsylvania..We got the best states to hunt for old coins,you should be loaded with coins with all those rigs..

I hunt old parks in my town. I pick a spot, 10x10. Grid the heck out of it. Get all the trash out of the way. Its hard work going though the can slaw, nails,tabs, it works for me.

Hunting locations

Old school yards, 1930-1960’s neighborhoods, slow hunt older parks, old fairgrounds, older small towns.

Old school yards, 1930-1960’s neighborhoods, slow hunt older parks, old fairgrounds, older small towns.

Yea I'm in an area where I'm using an 1851 map but have been hunting school houses and its coming up a bust! I guess I might have to try something else... I figure it's 1851 there has to be at least 1 or 2 old coins there lol....

Mike K "Ohio"

Mike K "Ohio"

Well...from a biased point of view your equipment seems to be up to snuff...
PM me if you want to know the Monster System for finding silver and old copper.;)

One excellent choice is anywhere older houses have been torn down before they rebuild on the lot. Also, look back on those places where you have had success and give them a more thorough check. As you get better, you will be amazed at how much more you are able to detect. Of course talking to friends and getting permission to hunt on private un-searched property is hard to beat.

One excellent choice is anywhere older houses have been torn down before they rebuild on the lot. Also, look back on those places where you have had success and give them a more thorough check. As you get better, you will be amazed at how much more you are able to detect. Of course talking to friends and getting permission to hunt on private un-searched property is hard to beat.

Thanks! I don't have too many problems getting permissions to hunt. I have went back and hit a few of my old places and found a few items but not many... Which I'm using the same brand name, I primarily door knock for all my hunts just doesn't seem too be panning out much lately lol... So I'm thinking I might have to change up my game....

Mike K "Ohio"

I knew a guy that did really well going to small towns back about 15 years ago.. Guess it still might work...

Mike K "Ohio"

Thanks! I don't have too many problems getting permissions to hunt. I have went back and hit a few of my old places and found a few items but not many... Which I'm using the same brand name, I primarily door knock for all my hunts just doesn't seem too be panning out much lately lol... So I'm thinking I might have to change up my game....

Mike K "Ohio"
That’s why I pretty much gave up door knocking here, 4 out of 5 150+ y.o. homes have been a bust, usually have been hit numerous times in the past. My favorites have been the county parks and ballfields, I really cleaned ‘em up over the last 10 years.

Plenty of public land left to detect. Just go where no one else wants to go. Swampy areas, heavy underbrush, downed trees and so on.

People in the old days weren't stupid. If people today wouldn't go there, neither would they. <snicker>

People in the old days weren't stupid. If people today wouldn't go there, neither would they. <snicker>

Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but that's just not true. Landscapes change. Homesites, meadows, parks that would have coins and relics that are now overgrown.

Homesites, meadows, parks that would have coins and relics that are now overgrown.

Or, wait for it, under water... I get as excited for a dug up coin as the next guy, but finding a 1954 roosevelt dime a mile from nowhere just never has tripped my trigger. On any given day I probably get two of them at the 7-11. I guess I'm getting burned out on all the let down in the hundreds of videos clogging up YouTube of people gushing over an unseen silver hit and then waiting for the actual dig that turns magically into a beavertail. Does this really deserve a video being made of it and posted?

Back
Top Bottom