Long Beach (Long Island, NY) permit question

Bratan

Hi!
I'm new to this hobby :) (my first MD Fisher F2 is still in the mail), but I would like to hunt on Long Beach (during off season) next time I visit my parents. Do I need a permit for that, and where would I get one? Do permits there get checked frequently? I only plan to be there few times a year (I live in Hundson Valley).

If it is a Public Beach you don't need a permit. Just make sure its not a Private beach.

permit

I live out on the island and metal detect beaches and any accessible water I can legally enter. In the off season, after labor day, it is possible to park at any public beach and go detecting in the sand. I go from Nassau County out into the Hamptons, where in the summer it is a $150 parking ticket.

You only need a permit for NY state parks. However, my brother goes to Jones Beach all the time and has never been asked to show his (which he never got). He only saw one guy checked and it may have been because he was in near the people where it was still crowded at that time of day.

I checked the town ordinances for all the towns and municipalities where I have detected and never have found metal detecting mentioned anywhere. I just checked Long Beach City code and put in the search word "metal". No hits for metal detecting. All these town codes appear nearly identical and the only hit for metal will be reference a scrapyard or something similar.

Detect and have a good time.

I spoke with Kate Murray's office and then assured me that you do not need a permit for Town of Hempstead parks. This included the beaches, Pt lookout, Malibu, Neptune, and Lido beach. The city of Long Beach does not require a permit only that you detect during beach hours. In the summer you will need a beach pass during the times life guards are on duty. State parks require a permit which is $40 for the year and can be purchased through the Town of Babylon office.

Back
Top Bottom