Advice please

stu8352

Hi Everyone,
I'm quite new to detecting, and am trying to decide on my first proper detector.
I've had a couple of old ones which were, well, rubbish to be honest, maybe 2 inches or so in soil.
I don't want to spend a fortune and don't mind a good used one . I've read about Garrett ace 250's etc, and not sure which one to choose! I quite like the Bounty hunter tracker 4, but not sure.

I just want a decent depth starter machine, reliable, maybe a bit above entry level, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

Hi Everyone,
I'm quite new to detecting, and am trying to decide on my first proper detector.
I've had a couple of old ones which were, well, rubbish to be honest, maybe 2 inches or so in soil.
I don't want to spend a fortune and don't mind a good used one . I've read about Garrett ace 250's etc, and not sure which one to choose! I quite like the Bounty hunter tracker 4, but not sure.

I just want a decent depth starter machine, reliable, maybe a bit above entry level, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

The ACE 300 was released in 2016, and is the newest version of the ACE 250, which came out in 2005. I used the ACE 300 frequently over the past couple of months, primarily at the beach, but I can't recommend it for that purpose except in the very dry sand. However, it is a great detector for fields and parks. Very good at finding coins at decent depth and generally reliable.

All entry level machines from Fisher, Garrett, and Minelab are quality detectors and available for less than $300. I would go with one of those three brands.

You can't go wrong with the ace or the bounty hunter, but you are getting pretty close to the cost for a Simplex

Hi Stuart, Welcome to the hobby.

All entry level machines from Fisher, Garrett, and Minelab are quality detectors and available for less than $300. I would go with one of those three brands.

As beachclad stated, you can't go wrong with one of these brands. I personally have a Fisher F22. It has been a great starter machine. I paid about $219 for it. Just do your research and find one that fits your budget and has the features you're looking for.
Good luck!

Thanks for all of your replies, I will ponder over the weekend.
Really appreciate your help, after all you guys have been there and done it, that's the best way to do everything I think
Thanks again

Thank you all for your help, I have decided to go for a nearly new ADX 150 at a good price, as per your advice it seems pointless getting anything cheaper, this one should mean I wont need to upgrade anytime soon.
I really appreciate advice from you all. Happy hunting
Stu

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Stuart

Hi Stuart! I hope you find the machine you're looking for and there's plenty of good folks on the forum to help you. Here's an article for some Essential Gear Needed with a little added information that may also help you.

Although im fairly new to detecting myself, i really like my Garrett ACE 300. I have a lot to learn yet, but i understand my machine a little more everytime i go out. I got the anniversary package which come with the pinpointer and i can say i wouldnt enjoy going out nearly as much if i didnt have it. And i had a few buddies beat up on me about spending the amount of money i did on a shovel and trowel, but it was well worth every penny because of how easy and nice they cut clean plugs. Good luck!

My first detector was a Teknetics Delta 4000. I still have it! It's my loaner and backup. I have found some awesome stuff with it. I have owned many detectors and it's very hard to beat, in my opinion. As a beginner, you might find the higher number target ID (1-99) easier to use too, compared to the ML compressed ID. You can find used Delta's pretty cheap occasionally. Just my 2 cents worth....get what your gut tells ya!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Stuart

tesoro "mojave" if you can find one! excellent lightweight detector
it's single tone technology,so a good learning opportunity to learn the 'audio"
of a metal detector and what;s it's telling you on targets in the ground.
good luck!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom