Cops Called Today

Another argument i often gave.
"You can not dig here in de play yard, because damage"
"But what am i doing and damaging more then the kids building sand castles when i dig up a coin at 4 inch?"

Or at paths in the woods.
"But what am i damaging more then al the digging dogs and the horses footsteps when i pull out a coin at 1 inch? I fill up my wholes, which those dogs and horses don't even do."

This seems like the soup du jour every time I'm on here.... bickering about permission. Cops told me to leave recently.... I left.

Check the rules online, if there's nothing go to the place you want to hunt. Do a walk-around looking for signs and check to see if it says anything about detecting. If it says you can't.... leave. If it doesn't, have at it. If someone comes and says you can't tell them that you've done your due-diligence and found nothing online or "here" that says you can't. If they call the cops and the cops say you can't.... leave. If you feel you have a case take it up with the right people.

Lesson learned...We have all been through this scenario.... Ya see, a guy cant get engaged in a verbal debate, dont even try! For me, Its far much easier to act like a bubbling idiot boobboo and mutter and stutter and act totally sub 70 IQ window licking booger eating ignorant....which is natural to me...Urban camoflage. Folks feel sorry for you if you appear dumber than they are, and I am...It disarms them and makes them feel sorry for you rather than mad at you see?...

It helps if you wear khakis and can piss your pants on demand...I get away with this tactic all the time with my Wife of 40+ yrs.!..
She comes roaring up on the fight about something, and I just demure and blubber some nonsensical gibberish and piss my pants and she leaves me alone..

The key is to always wear khakis and carry half a bladder...Take your cues from natural defensive mechagnisms..Like a skunk does...wave the tail briefly, turn and throw off the stink if needed...nobody in their right mind fusses with a skunk!....

No cop wants to cuff and stuff an old pants pissing park picking penny picker! Just dont talk human to no humans and you will be fine..... go straight up gibbrish Dothraki lingo and piss yourself from jump, No troubles.....

FWIW, I employ this tactic at least once a week in all Human interactions and it works!....I'm still alive! I'm so damned dumb!:laughing:

Too funny... thanks for the laugh...

....If you feel you have a case take it up with the right people.

I would not "take it up with people" to get someone's scram over-turned. I feel no need whatsoever, to get an unjustified whimsical scram over-turned. I would just come back later, when the singular lookie-lou busy-body is gone.

I know that the knee-jerk reaction to a "scram" is to go to higher authorities "seeking clarification". But the devil is in the details : You could simply bump into the "no one cared till you asked" phenomenon. Ie.: You could end up swatting hornet's nests, fetching "safe answers", from people who ....quite frankly .... might never have given the matter a moment's thought.

Not every "scram" constitutes a law or rule that must-now be overturned. Most of the time it just means: Give the person lip-service. Give the place a little break. Come back later when the matter is forgotten, and the singular griper isn't around.

This seems like the soup du jour every time I'm on here.... bickering about permission. Cops told me to leave recently.... I left.

Check the rules online, if there's nothing go to the place you want to hunt. Do a walk-around looking for signs and check to see if it says anything about detecting. If it says you can't.... leave. If it doesn't, have at it. If someone comes and says you can't tell them that you've done your due-diligence and found nothing online or "here" that says you can't. If they call the cops and the cops say you can't.... leave. If you feel you have a case take it up with the right people.

I totally agree with these words.
Look if you can and if not then don't.

But don't leave to quick if someone says "forbidden".
I have been said detecting is forbidden by all kinds of people pretending to be cop, forester, civil servant, all kinds of officer, keeper, land owner (while you know the real one very well from your permission :laughing: ), and much more. This happened me much more often then real people on duty came to me (mostly easy to recognize, or you already know them).

And a lot of them were competitive hunters. :laughing: You can guess why yourself.

I would not "take it up with people" to get someone's scram over-turned. I feel no need whatsoever, to get an unjustified whimsical scram over-turned. I would just come back later, when the singular lookie-lou busy-body is gone.

The difference here, Tom, is that it wasn't a "busy-body" that told the OP to leave, it was the police. At that point coming back makes you criminal, you're criminally trespassing. You've been told you can't detect there... by the police.

We're all speculating here, no one knows anything more than the OP said. But, if he was there and was told to leave by the 5-0, it doesn't matter what you want or think. If you're caught back there by the same cop you should be fined.

I'm all for detecting anywhere I want but the realities are I don't own permission to go anywhere I want. There are some places that detecting isn't allowed and that's it. As for the don't shake the tree argument, in this case, it doesn't matter. The OP said "An hour later, here come the cops. Nice young cop told me that the guy called complaining, dispatch called the town parks dept and the parks dept said "no metal detecting" in the park." at this point this park is dead to the OP. If he/she goes back and the same cop comes back he can do whatever the law states in this case... written warning, fine, confiscation.... Again, the important part of this is that the cop said "dispatch called the town parks dept and the parks dept said no metal detecting in the park". This sounds like a park rule and, if you want to change it, take the issue to the parks department and convince them that detecting should be allowed and detectorists are good users of community properties.

Last edited:
I have been said detecting is forbidden by all kinds of people pretending to be cop, forester, civil servant, all kinds of officer, keeper, land owner (while you know the real one very well from your permission.....

I had a neighbor try to run me off a vacant lot last weekend. First she claimed the land was hers. I told her the name of the actual owner and that I had proof of the permission to be on the lot in my car.

Instead of admitting she was wrong, she then moved on to the property line. She pointed to a line about 15 feet short of the property line (on a lot that's only 50 feet wide). I again tried to correct her by offering to show her the city's own property line map I had printed out and brought with me.

She ignored that and then moved on to talking about "calling somebody" and took a few photos of me and my car parked on the lot. Then she went inside.

If she had kept it up I was going to suggest that she call the cops to sort it out, or else I was going to.

Here's my "knee-jerk" reaction : you already know who the loser is who dropped a dime on you. You know where he lives. Wait a good 3+ months. Get a 5 gallon bucket , a bag of quickcrete and mix it up. Under the cover of darkness , go by his house. Open up water meter vault at the street , turn off water. Pour the bucket in ! Of course "the devil is in the details" but your just kicking karma in the butt a little. Speed it up so to speak...done right he will never know. And maybe think twice about dropping that next dime....

Here's my "knee-jerk" reaction : you already know who the loser is who dropped a dime on you. You know where he lives. Wait a good 3+ months. Get a 5 gallon bucket , a bag of quickcrete and mix it up. Under the cover of darkness , go by his house. Open up water meter vault at the street , turn off water. Pour the bucket in ! Of course "the devil is in the details" but your just kicking karma in the butt a little. Speed it up so to speak...done right he will never know. And maybe think twice about dropping that next dime....
Sorry for my ADHD self here....but I like it when people drop dimes....gives me something to dig up [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I have the current park brochures for all parks I hunt and they all mention nothing about no metal detecting. If confronted, I will whip them out and show them to police or nosy concerned citizens.

I guess I am lucky, I live in the south where we seem to have fewer rules about metal detecting than other progressive urban areas in the US. But not sure how long that will last.

... and just hope you're not identifiable on that loser's hi-definition, security camera :jail:

do you use infrared light and goggles?

….maybe something like Dave's night vision detecting goggles ? :laughing:
Davids_nightvision_detecting_goggles.jpg

do you use infrared light and goggles?

That's some funny stuff right there ! Not everyone can or is unwilling to hunt at night like Tom. Mainly because of the unsavory zombies out there. I think his main reason is because of his street sweeping business. He knows the lay of the land. Also unfettered access while on his all night benders driving in circles vacuuming his finds. Easy to take a 20 minute break and hunt where he wants.

An hour later here come the cops. Nice young cop told me that the guy called complaining dispatch called the town parks dept and the parks dept said not metal detecting in the park. Some people just cant mind their own business.

The chain of info here sounds questionable. Sorry you got Mr. Runemoff watching the park there. I suggest trying to find the actual park regs that pertain to metal detecting in that location, to see if you are really not allowed to detect there, or if that's just how it came down this time.
Then, if the rules clearly ban you from detecting there, just don't. You're done. But, if it does not specifically ban you from MD'ing there, then consider some work-around options, like; popping coins with a screwdriver instead of "digging" them up, figure out times when Mr. Runemoff is not on watch, etc... If you happen to be confronted by Police again, you can tell them you did your due diligence, researched the rules, and did not find anything specifically banning you from detecting. Discuss it openly and honestly with them, but probably don't say a word to Mr. R. Just move on quickly if he shows up again. Then there's the aforementioned khaki-pants option. GL & HH!

you had it right when you stated if a cop shows up-leave! if you want to 'fight "
the decision, then follow it up,AND WASTE YOUR TIME!..reason?..most folks could care two sh*ts less about metal detecting,SO therefore will tell you NO! you can't
do that in public places! ..me? i would rather just leave, and find another place to detect! after 35 years,i find this eliminates 'stress" and i can still enjoy myself!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

That's some funny stuff right there ! Not everyone can or is unwilling to hunt at night like Tom. Mainly because of the unsavory zombies out there. I think his main reason is because of his street sweeping business. He knows the lay of the land. Also unfettered access while on his all night benders driving in circles vacuuming his finds. Easy to take a 20 minute break and hunt where he wants.

also tom may be "stressed" by all the "slippery" sidewalks he encounters
during the days, and hunting at night makes sense for him!.just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom